Remote Access via Web

Topics related to the new MainLobby Web Designer software for Android and iOS devices.
DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: Remote Access via Web

Postby DaveB » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 pm

Dave - At minimum, can you fix scrolling lists. It is rather annoying to not have the ability to scroll any lists that I have deployed on various scenes. The most annoying is with the media scenes.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:46 am

Dave,

Any updates on the remote access components?

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Thu May 05, 2016 6:26 am

Dave,

Is there any progress on remote access? As we travel this summer I would love to have access to my setup remotely?

Thanks!

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Thu May 12, 2016 6:25 am

Could anyone point me to a guide on how to setup remote access? An automation system without access from outside the home is pretty limiting. It has forced me back to individual apps for everything I want to control remotely.

Thanks,
Davis

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Sat May 14, 2016 8:44 pm

The way I handle remote access may not be the most secure, in fact it's probably more akin to security through obscurity, but here it is. I have a website that has a port forwarded to my MLServer. The port assignment on the front end is not one commonly used for websites, like port 80, 81, 8080, etc. From there I can access any of my web projects. I know from time to time Dave has provided some Password screens to slightly reduce the probability of a hacker, but anyone over 12 years old can probably defeat them.

The only other way is to use a secure portal like Team Viewer or Radmin Viewer to access your server. They're much more secure, but not a direct way of running a scene.

I hope this at least might help in the short run.

-Todd

Synergy_Tech

Postby Synergy_Tech » Mon May 16, 2016 1:46 pm

Similar to tmcgowan, I have an account set up with dyn.com. My router is configured to keep dyn.com updated with my correct IP address. For insecure access you can port forward port 80 to the ipaddress of mlserver. For more security, use a non-standard number for the external port and have the router translate it to the mlserver local ip address and port 80. don't forget to also forward ports 6246 and 8181.

For the most security, use a router that supports VPN. Then you can connect with VPN on your mobile device and then connect to mlserver just like normal.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Mon May 16, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks to both of you for the responses. My router does handle VPN so that may be an option. I am not much of an IT guy but I bet I can figure it out. Like both of you, I am not as worried about security as I should be so I think that all of these are good suggestions. I will let you know which way I go.

Thanks again!

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Dave,

Any updates on a remote access scenario? The guys above were kind enough to push me in the right direction on a work-around but I am hoping for something a bit more native.

Thanks!

Synergy_Tech

Postby Synergy_Tech » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:20 pm

If you don't want to port-forward or use VPN, I believe the only other way it could be done would be to connect through another server that both the server and client can connect to. Some of the IP camera companies are doing this to make it simpler for the user to connect.

There's a cost in setting up and maintaining something like this so I imagine Dave would need to poll the community and see what kind of demand there would be. I wouldn't be surprised if he would need to charge an access fee to cover the costs. This would be similar to how Logmein and Teamviewer operate.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:40 pm

Synergy,

Thanks for the thoughts. I am still willing to port-forward or VPN, just need to spend some time on getting everything set up. I am absolutely willing to pay a fee for a simpler, more secure solution. Control4 charges $100 per year. I think that URC does the same.

Davis

Return to “MainLobby Web Designer (V5)”