Touchscreen Options?

Topics related to the new MainLobby Web Designer software for Android and iOS devices.
indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Touchscreen Options?

Postby indecision » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:47 am

I would like to mount a small touchscreen in my kitchen to serve as the central hub for ML operations. Has anyone done that in a while and would you care to share your experience? I have been looking at 7" android tablets but would love to be able to walk up and touch the screen to activate it (though I don't think that is possible in the current tablet landscape). I worry that having to find and press a small button on the side/top of the unit will be cumbersome. Another option is to use an app that can activate the device using the proximity sensor. However, it is difficult to find many tablets that include proximity sensors as that is really a phone feature.

Any thoughts/suggestions on what I should be using as a dedicated ML touchscreen?

Thanks,
Davis

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Touchscreen Options?

Postby sonypoolplr » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:34 am

I haven't looked at many tablets lately so I don't know if it is possible, but could you use a black button that covers the screen that ML changes the tablet to after x anount of minutes that you can then program to go away when you touch the screen? You would have to be able to tell the tablet to not to go to sleep or lock the screen, so that is where I see a problem if you can't.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:51 pm

That's a really interesting idea. I hadn't considered anything along those lines. However, I think that you may be right that it will still time out if no button press or screen touch. But I think there are apps that can keep the screen active so it may be possible.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:02 pm

You can do this with android to use the camera as a motion sensor.
http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... nal-device

FWIW, I made the switch to tablets a year ago and it's the way to go. The downfall with the web designer is the ability to scale your project for every tablet and configuration. I suggest you stick to 2 sizes and resolutions if possible until Dave figures out any possible way to scale the webpages to the specific device. I envisioned an addon to the Cinemar web designer that emulates the screen you want to convert to, scale the page (like setting up iphone home screen), and convert all pages and objects in the project in one process. One can only dream.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:57 pm

I've thought long and hard about the scaling. Relatively easy if the aspect ratio stays the same but that rarely is the case. And therein lies greatly difficulty.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Art,

Thank you for the link! I am experimenting with one of the automated options now. Using the camera as a motion detector to wake up the screen would be a great solution for my needs. Thanks again and I will let you know how it comes out.

Davis

Return to “MainLobby Web Designer (V5)”