UI Zones/Sources - For Discussion

Topics related to the new MainLobby Web Designer software for Android and iOS devices.
Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Re: UI Zones/Sources - For Discussion

Postby Krumpy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:21 am

While subjective, I think that this release is very significant. Can you release something even if all of the apps are not completed? Want to get my arms around this and all of my scene development is on hold as this is the missing key to all ofmy layouts.

Thx.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:58 am

One of the things that is taking time is that I have spent a lot of time doing my own code reviews of the client Javascript code and trying various experiments trying to make the web clients break. For example, did you know that if you turned off your wireless router that the server will drop the websockets connection to the client but the clients do not drop their websocket connection? I didn't expect that. I also found that if on power up of a web client (iOS or Android) that if it doesn't get a DHCP IP address within 5 seconds that the web client times out? (Fix that by assigning your devices fixed IP addresses when on the home wireless network). Another little item I found was that on a page load the page's variables were being updated twice. Not really a problem but a waste of time. There is more.

With all this new knowledge I have made a lot of changes to the JavaScript code and the WebSockets code on the server. The server has implemented a standard WebSockets Ping/Pong keep-alive to the clients. On the client side I've implemented a similar keep-alive back to the server. The later keep-alive was required to pick up the condition where the wireless access point goes away and the socket needs to close. Whenever a socket fails the client will automatically resume its legacy polling until the socket comes back. MLServer commands are now being sent back to the server via the socket connection if it is available. It is more efficient to do it that way.

Overall the clients are a lot more bullet proof now.

Similarly, I've found a bunch of improvements that could be made in the designer.

With all that I'm doing some extensive testing on my system and a couple of customers to make sure I have not broken any legacy scenes that may be out there.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:49 am

Yes, I have been tracking some of the things that you mentioned. It is a complex product. Appreciate the fine tuning!

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:17 am

Any updates?

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Am I the only one interested in this?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:51 pm

I have a release of the Designer ready to go that contains all the new client Javascript. Been really testing it hard to see if there are any issues and it is looking very solid. So it is going to happen soon.

EUROTECH

Postby EUROTECH » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 pm

I also am very interested in this, and to see the layout. I am using the current zoning that Dave configured for the ipad scenes and it works nicely. I have to wait until a driver is available for my switcher to continue with my audio zones. I will be playing around with it in the meantime to see what its capabilities are and how I can incorporate it into my setup.

Euro

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Krumpy wrote:Am I the only one interested in this?

Krump.
You and I are both awaiting this new feature. I have been simating this for years with lots of hand made variables and cycle states and macros. I am looking forward to simplification.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 pm

Thank you for testing Dave. I am willing to leap forwards on this and help you test. Got plenty of hardware, and should get my iPhone 6+ in the next week.

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby sonypoolplr » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:23 am

Krumpy wrote:Am I the only one interested in this?

I am awaiting this as well, but my setup is probably different then others as I have amplifiers dedicated to each room/area so I might be one who will be editting the existing code. That being said, it looks real promising as a front end for controlling my house. I love the web app now, and I can only se it getting better.

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 am

I too, am eagerly looking forward to this. Dave, kudos to you for your hard work... =D>

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:54 am

Dave - I have started to implement the Zones/Sources and have a question for you. My server has a 4 port Delta sound card and is my primary source for all music. I am configured as follows;

Music 1,2,3 linked to the respective sound card ports and so on for Pandora (1,2,3,4) and TunedIn (1,2,3,4).

I need to add in some commands to prevent any source from using a port when it is already in use (if that makes sense)

As example, if Music is playing Music 1, then Pandora and Tuned in can not play the #1 source at the same time. Channels 2,3 and 4 would still be available. I think I am close to accomplishing this but my brain needs to wrap around it.

The easy way around this is to only implement one source of each type and lock it to a specific output.

So anyway, ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Dave - Along with the above; I have a question concerning the Zones Cycle States sample;

SetVariable|{{{{clientname}}_activezone_var}}_av_switcher_id~1!

SetVariable|{{{{clientname}}_activezone_var}}_av_switcher_zone~1!

With the variable av_switcher_id~1, do I need to change the name of my AV switcher to match the variable. Also, the cycle states sets the variable so where do I place the command to actually make the switcher action? Is the command to make the switcher take action located in the cycle states macro or is it programmed on the actual source buttons of the various scenes?

Does this question even make sense?

I am changing over to a Russound CAV6.6 as my AV switcher/Zone Amp. I am trying to figure out how to take the cycle states actions you have programmed and integrate that into the commands needed to change the russound source for a specific zone.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:18 pm

With the variable av_switcher_id~1, do I need to change the name of my AV switcher to match the variable. Also, the cycle states sets the variable so where do I place the command to actually make the switcher action? Is the command to make the switcher take action located in the cycle states macro or is it programmed on the actual source buttons of the various scenes

The variables applicable to the zone are defined in the Zones states but the actual switching only takes place when you select the source. The example all use the Family device ID but you can use the device Alias if it makes more sense. Either will work.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:54 pm

I get that but where is the actual command that changes the switcher to the proper source? Do I add it to the source button?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Return to “MainLobby Web Designer (V5)”