Release Candidate #4

Topics related to the new MainLobby Web Designer software for Android and iOS devices.
shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Release Candidate #4

Postby shakey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Everything you mention is a function of slowness on 1) the device, 2) the network, or 3) the MLServer PC. The Pandora buttons showing up late is a result of not getting the state server variables updated quick enough, the blank white page is the device waiting to load the page. Waking up tries to refresh the page and it is taking a long time to get the page from the server. So almost everything points to slow response from the MLServer PC. Is it busy doing something? Open your pages in Chrome on a PC. Are they slow there too? How's your wireless networks health?

Dave,

Thanks, I will look into it this weekend. It might be my server as it is getting a few years of age on it. Wireless is N , iPad mini is latest greatest version Ipad is gen 3. Both do it so I'd say its the server or wireless.

Thanks for the push in the correct direction.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Looks like its my server. It happens on a webpage on that machine also. CPU is running at about 10% with everything going, network load is less than 1% and its gigabyte. Its an old AMD 5050e machine. It still works good and I use it for movie play back. Weird that its only the Pandora page that lags like that though. What is a good speed cpu to look at? I was looking at some i5 CPU's and a new motherboard and memory. Hope that solves it, as I not looking forward to a rebuild, reload and re-licensing everything.

P.S. The Pandora app version is out of sink in the CIA.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:37 pm

Ah a clue. Depending on when you downloaded the sample apps you may have got several scenes where the drop down arrow on the select object was hard coded to a url on my server. This has since been fixed but since you say it is only the Pandora page and that page contains a select object I'd re-edit that page and make sure the drop down is showing.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:53 pm

I wish it was that easy, I'm using the ones you just uploaded today, my zones and sources show in the select item boxes.

When I select a radio from the radio selection drop down and it refreshes only those three buttons disappear then reappear.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:01 pm

But do you see the drop down arrow on the select object?

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Yes, the arrow is there on both select items list.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:55 pm

Ok, then the extra delay is the loading of the complete Genre list on the genres overlay. Temporarily change the pandora scene so that it does not load the genres overlay. See if that makes the page load quicker.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:38 pm

You're on to something, that made it almost unnoticeable, I can still see those three disappear and reappear, but I'm watching for it. Can the source code be rearranged to load the hidden overlays after the rest of the page? Do you think its my server CPU speed? I'm not against a new faster one if it will solve the issue.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:31 am

There is over 400 Pandora genres and I have the Genre overlay list loading all of them at once on page load. I didn't see any performance issues here. So what you can do is edit the Genre overlay and the infinitescroll. Set the items per page from its default of 500 down to something like 50 or 25.

It does all point to a server upgrade some time in the future. Not so much that you do not have enough CPU horsepower but rather the lack of disk i/o. Web servers are very sensitive to disk speed because they are always reading files from the hard drive. Check your motherboard specs and see if it has a SATA III controller. If not you could get a two port SATA III controller and marry it to a pair of 128GB SSDs and put your OS and software on them. This should give you some really fast disk I/O and extend the life of the PC.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:32 am

Dave,

Thanks. It is Sata II. I'm am running a Samsung 128gb SSD already for the OS and Cinemar.(That's how I've nursed it this far) All the movies etc. are on regular drives.

I guess I have to decide if I want to try a card or do a motherboard, CPU and Memory upgrade.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Today's update

1) Adds the ability to add Overlays to Overlays.

2) Fixes an issue where under certain circumstances button objects would become transparent during the editing / save process.

There is no need to refresh the support files with this release.

Return to “MainLobby Web Designer (V5)”