Release Candidate #1

Topics related to the new MainLobby Web Designer software for Android and iOS devices.
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Release Candidate #1

Postby ronsatter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 am

Dave,

I have been diligently converting my scenes this week. Very impressed with the improvements in the Designer. If I have a few hundred hours invested ... you easily have a few thousand. Thank you for your dedication to an excellent piece of software. It rocks =D>

After converting a dozen scenes or so, I started wondering if I was actually doing the conversions correctly ... I got so excited, I just jumped right into the water ... instructions and caveats "Be Damned" 8)

Here's how I'm converting my scenes, please affirm or correct this method:

1. I left my old scenes in the original "V1" folder within the "HTML" root folder. My intention is to use them as a source to copy/paste elements to my new scenes in the new project. I am careful never to alter or re-save any of my original scenes to prevent scripting updates to the "V1" scenes.

2. I created a "New Project" folder in the "HTML" folder and named it "V2". I created all scenes in "V2" from scratch, starting with a fresh background image, etc. I never copy or duplicate any scene from my original folder "V1".

3. I open a scene from my original "V1" folder and select the scene objects (a few at a time) and copy them to the newly created scene in the "V2" folder. All the objects appear the same, with the exception of a slightly visible 1 pixel border around the object.

4. I then open each of the newly pasted objects in the editor and apply the "fixes" necessary and "Update" the objects. After I am satisfied that the objects have the necessary changes, I resave the new scene in the "V2" folder.

5. After I have created a scene and converted all the copied objects, I open the scene on my tablet to check the results.

This method seems to be working ... I definitely see signs of the new code at work. Here are the major improvements I see on my tablets.

- Response times for page displays and screen touches is definitely faster.
- Font displays and objects in general are much cleaner and have higher resolutions. (Thanks for removing the font drop shadows)
- Background and panel gradations are smoother.
- Text Scroller object is vastly improved in appearance and performance (Thanks for the make-over)
- Overlay scenes behave better, open correctly for editing.
- State Variables work much better ... I still see a couple of problems which I'll address in a separate post.

Remember that I am still running on older version Android hardware (pre-Icecream OS) with the funky Chrome browser, so I can vouch for improved performance on the bottom end of the scale.

All this being said, I still am not 100% certain that my new scenes are being created correctly ... or much worse ... are taking full advantage of the new coding. I would like to keep my original scenes unchanged and operational until I am satisfied I haven't forgotten something in my new scene files.

> Is it possible to "Refresh Support Files" for just the new "V2" folder, or is the refresh for all folders living in the "HTML" directory?

> If I remove my original "V1" folder from the "HTML" folder and "Refresh Support Files", will the "V1" folder be corrupted if I move it back into the "HTML" directory?

> Can my "V1" project live to a ripe old age, co-existing with my "V2" project in the root "HTML" directory?

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:18 am

Dave,

Tried adding the "Web Page" object to a new scene. It looks great. Object is "live" ... window scrolls, ect. But the object can't be selected, moved, resized or properties edited. Tried saving scene, closing and re-opening scene ... no go.
Image1.jpg

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 am

ronsatter wrote:Dave,

Tried adding the "Web Page" object to a new scene. It looks great. Object is "live" ... window scrolls, ect. But the object can't be selected, moved, resized or properties edited. Tried saving scene, closing and re-opening scene ... no go.
Image1.jpg

Ron

Try clicking it on its border until it highlights by going red, it takes a few attempts, you can then right click and go to properties...

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Ron, you are doing things in the correct order.

> Is it possible to "Refresh Support Files" for just the new "V2" folder, or is the refresh for all folders living in the "HTML" directory?

Yes, The refresh button only updates the selected project.

> If I remove my original "V1" folder from the "HTML" folder and "Refresh Support Files", will the "V1" folder be corrupted if I move it back into the "HTML" directory?

No

> Can my "V1" project live to a ripe old age, co-existing with my "V2" project in the root "HTML" directory?

Yes, call it V1 and let it live a long an healthy life

Like greyt says the web object is a bit tricky to find. If you click in the object the live web page will get the click. I don't have any control over that. So you have to be very diligent and click right on the border until it gets highlighted. It's only 1 pixel wide so it takes some patience. Once you get the hang of it it is not too difficult to find.

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Dave...

While working on my Kindle Fire set-up, it seems that the red glow ring which is supposed to appear when a button is pressed doesn't appear (at least on my 2nd Gen Fire it doesn't). The buttons still do as they're supposed to, just no red frame indication. The test apps work find on my iPad. And I can't seem to find anything in settings that may be stopping it. I don't have another android device to test it on, so I'm not sure if I can help track it down. More than likely something to do with the Silk browser or something else Amazon has tweaked in the Kindles.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 am

All Button objects have a 1 pixel border around them that is relative to the buttons color. When you click on the button the JavaScript temporarily tries to replace the default border with the Red highlight border. This is done by swapping in a new CSS style. Normally the browser would ignore the style because the border is already defined at the object level and that is the highest priority. However, we employ the CSS !Important trick to let the browser know that we really want to do this. That should always work. In your case it seems that the Silk browser doesn't like to see or is ignoring the !Important directive.

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Dave...

Seems that's exactly what Silk is doing... I was able to load the Dolphin browser on the Fire and the red borders show up fine on it.

markding

Postby markding » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Dave,

I'm confused about the syntax of the WebCmd commands. How do I specify which client I want to send the command to?

I want to create an Automation Rule that would send a LoadScene command to a specific client based on a certain trigger. I understand that the command is: "WebCmd|LoadScene|Index.html", but I don't know how to specify which client.

Thanks,
Mark

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Ah, wasn't expecting that need. WebCmd currently sends back to the client that sent the command. There is no way to target a WebCmd to a particular client at this point in time. I'll have to modify the syntax so it works just like the MLCmd does. In the next update.

monteourdog

Postby monteourdog » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:31 am

Further to the above - could there also be a way to direct that client to a specific index.html? What I am thinking is - the entire "home" would only have one link and primarily, that link would be to choose your device (ipad, iphone, etc). Once selected, the user would be automatically redirected to the correct scenes. Ideally, this could become a variable and when that client returns, the variable would automatically direct to the correct scenes (bypassing the selection scene).

I tried this but it did not work and now reading this post I can see why.

I can see a few issues with this considering a client is based on an IP address and this can change (or more importantly, not change but be incorrectly re-used for another client). For me, this would be ideal for visitors to the network and perhaps the server could reset this at the end of the day. Regular users would be setup with a fixed IP address and as such, the server would never reset - easily enough to handle with some script.

Cheers!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:28 am

The WebCmd|{{clientname}}~LoadScene command will allow you to make a client load any scene. But I don't want you to get the impression that you could make an iPad sitting at its desktop automatically launch the web app and navigate to the scene. That will never be a possibility. We only have the WebSocket connection while the app is running. If you minimize the app, switch to a different app or let the iPad go to sleep the WebSocket connection will get dropped.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 am

I notice that if there are certain unfavourable network conditions or MLserver is rebooted that the webclient will not reconnect. Is it possible to have a check to re-establish connections?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am

The way the JavaScript is written is that if the WebSocket connection is lost the next button that gets pushed that executes a MLServer command will force a new WebSocket to be created. If one cannot be created it will revert back to polling mode.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am

CinemarDave wrote:The way the JavaScript is written is that if the WebSocket connection is lost the next button that gets pushed that executes a MLServer command will force a new WebSocket to be created. If one cannot be created it will revert back to polling mode.

I have had this a few times that I walk past one of my screens in the hallway and see the data looks wrong, press a button and it comes to life again (the flash version did the same). It would be great if there could be a trigger every x minutes just to check that the connection is active and re-establish it. Most of the time it will be my fault due to rebooting the server, but not always, Apple's Wifi stack is a bit of a mystery.....

Return to “MainLobby Web Designer (V5)”