Release Notes

Topics related to the new MainLobby Web Designer software for Android and iOS devices.
sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Release Notes

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:14 pm

I updated to the latest and refreshed the files but when I load MultiVars and click on/off I see the variable change in MLServer, but nothing happens on the iPad. I opened the MultiVars to look at the buttons and when I try to close the scene I a warning for duplicate IDs detected.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Version 4.0.4677.26111 - 10/21/2012

First and foremost make a backup copy of your existing projects before installing this version. Here's why.

This version
1) Updates the embedded Chrome browser tool to the latest release. The embedded Chrome browser is now running Chrome version 22.
2) Contains a total rewrite of the Volume slider logic. The volume slider control should now be a much smoother and track your finger movements with more accuracy.
3) Adds a right margin to scroller objects so the scrollbar will no longer be over the text it is scrolling.
4) Contains updates to the state variable processing logic.
5) If you use { or } as a label you will not get prompted that there are mismatched {} on the field.
6) Contains refinements to the JavaScript routines in the scripts.js file.
7) Fixes (hopefully) all known issues with Overlays. Like not saving the visibility setting and send to front and send to back.
8) Adds a new Insertable Object called "Infinite Scroller" (This takes a lot of explaining)

I'm sure you have all seen modern web pages where as you start to scroll the page the page just keeps on scrolling. You never seem to get to the end. Just when you think you're at the end of the page magically some more of the page suddenly appears. Twitter is a good example. Well this is what the Infinite Scroller objects does.

Before we got too into this be aware that this is an advanced control. To properly use this object you will need to know some SQL and basic HTML. In order to make this object 100% user totally configurable makes it come with some complexity.

Basically this is how it works. Take a look at the attached image. This is showing the scroller in action on the Internet Radio sample scene. You'll see that there are 10+ stations listed and what appears as a scroll bar to the right. When the page is initially loaded the first 20 stations are loaded. Then as you scroll down the page as soon as you get near the end of the list another 10 stations are automatically appended to the list. This continues until you have loaded all the possible radio stations.

This isn't only for radio stations. You can build a scrolling list out of anything in the database. Only limited by your imagination.

Now here is the complicated bits. See the second image. This is what the object looks like when you try to edit it.

First you will see the list of SQL queries that are associated with the object. In the case of Internet Radio stations there are 8 different search conditions depending on what filter is selected. The SQL section shows the SQL queries along with the conditional statements that dictate when the query should be used.

Then you see the HTML boilerplate section. This the HTML that is required to construct one row of the list. It can be comprised of any of the other insertable objects. You would start off by building this one row as an overlay scene and then you would take the raw html from the overlay and use it to build the boilerplate for this scroller. Complicated, yes. Highly flexible, yes. Unlimited possibilities, yes.

You also get to specify the normal things like height, width and location along with the initial number of items to build on page load and then the number of items to incrementally add.

We will work to simplify this in the future but we'd really like to hear how you think you will use this. Don't worry about the specifics of the SQL queries and HTML boilerplate. We can assist with that.

The Infinite Scroller is still in its infancy. Currently the only place you will see it working is on the Internet Radio scene. I'll be slowly updating all the other pages moving from the old paging metaphor to the new scrolling metaphor where it makes sense to do it. You MUST also upgrade to the latest version of MLServer 4 for this to work properly. The new version of the server has the enhanced web server logic so it knows how to dynamically build the content.

Now you know why I urged the backup of your current projects. Lots of changes in this release.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Version 4.0.4678.19381 - 10/22/2012

Fixes one overlay bug that was missed in yesterday's update.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Dave,

This is huge. Paging through more than a couple of pages of anything on a tablet or phone by pressing arrow keys is considered "prehistoric". I was wondering if this was possible. I haven't had time to check it out yet, but I was wondering if this scroll technique could be applied to album cover art using a horizontal scroll instead of vertical?

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:19 pm

I agree this is a big step forward and something we could never do in the Flash client. Right now scrolling is vertical because we are appending objects to the bottom of a list. Horizontal will be possible but it will need some additional logic. Experiment with vertical to flush out any issues then horizontal will be added.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:26 am

Dave,

Here's what I'm seeing with the Volume Slider:

I refreshed the support files for my project after all the updates. I created a new volume slider using the insertable object.

Initial touch/hold/slide motion of the slider button is delayed. Dragging the button up or down the slider starts with a vertical jump of the button from it's current position before it reacts to the slide motion. When the button moves, it tracks fairly well in the upward movement ... but is lagging behind the finger touch position in the downward movement ... by at least half the distance of the total vertical slider. If the slider is located on the lower half of the screen, you cannot drag the slider completely to "O" volume in a single motion. You run out of screen surface. When you drag it to "50" and touch the slider again to try to drag to "0", the slider jumps vertically again. It simply will not track directly under the touch contact position.

The variable which corresponds to the slider numeric value (1 to 100) does not track dynamically with the slider movement. No update until the slider is released.

Rounded corners retain a slightly transparent image of the original square corners. Here's a screen shot from my browser. The volume value of "57" is as low as I can go before running out of slide surface on my screen.
Screenshot_2012-10-23-23-20-41.jpg

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:39 am

Dave,

I don't understand this:

>> If you use { or } as a label you will not get prompted that there are mismatched {} on the field.

Do you mean literally when a label contains { space or space } in the label?

Does this have to do with prompts for a dupicate object ID?

Is this a work-around for state variables using the same object ID on the same page?

Please clarify.

Ron

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:50 am

Dave,

I have no idea how to go about creating a new infinite scroller. Here's how I understand the process:

1. You can build a scrolling list out of anything in the database.

OK. I choose the music playlist database.

2. First you will see the list of SQL queries that are associated with the object.

What object? I assume you are referring to a button object containing one of the music playlist names.

3. You would start off by building this one row as an overlay scene.

I assume you mean to copy the above object containing one of the music playlist names to a new overlay.

4. Then you would take the raw html from the overlay and use it to build the boilerplate for this scroller.

I assume you would save the newly created overlay with the object representing one row of the list of music playlist names. Then open the html file of the overlay scene and copy the raw html code. Then paste it into the boilerplate section of the infinite scroller object. Update the scroller and save the file.

Is this correct? If so, then what?

5. What do you put in the SQL query field of the scroller object? Does this field get populated when the boilerplate code is pasted into the scroller object?

I assume for my example, it would be something similar to the internet radio stations scroller, except it would be referencing the music playlists instead of the internet radio station lists. This is where the html coding gets complicated.

Would you mind creating a simple list scroller object with step by step instructions so we can duplicate the process from scratch in our projects. I think the internet radio station example is a little too complex. The music playlist might be a good example.

Thanks

Ron

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:38 am

Dave,

I think I'm getting closer.

1. Created new overlay with 6 objects containing the music playlists names
Scroller Overlay.jpg

2. Created new scene with the new infinite scroller object. Added 6 SQL Query Rules which correspond to the objects in the overlay.

3. Set the first page item count in the list to 6 and the next page item count to 6.

4. Copied the raw html code from the overlay scene and pasted it into the boilerplate section of the scroller object.
Scroller Properties.jpg

When I tried to update the scroller object at this point and save the scene, I got an SQL syntax error message in the object. When I opened the scroller object again, all the entered info was gone. I assume it's because the SQL Query fields in the scroller were blank for the 6 items. This is the part I don't know how to do.

Ron

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Dave,

My volume slider suddenly started behaving as it should. No changes to scene ... it just started moving more fluidly and now I can move the slider the full range of the scale. It doesn't jump when initially selected. The value of the slider variable doesn't update dynamically, but perhaps it never did ... even on the flash side. I still get the square corner outlines when I use rounded corners, maybe a chrome browser version issue.

So all is good in slider land :D

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:19 pm

That is good to hear. It was probably an instance where the old scripts.js file was in the browser cache and needed to be flushed. The rounded corners may be a browser version issue but it may be a style not getting set properly.

Return to “MainLobby Web Designer (V5)”