Kindle questions

MainLobby Web App running on Android Tablets
chiphayes

Kindle questions

Postby chiphayes » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Dave...

Having fun with the new designer... got most of the iPad scenes working the way I want them. Now I'm building the Kindle version for my wife's new Fire. I'm able to get the index.html page added to the carousel okay. Two questions:

- Any way to have that nifty MLLobby icon show up in the carousel instead of the chopped up section of my opening page?

- Any way to force it to open in full screen?

I'm not very Kindle savvy, so maybe I'm just missing something.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kindle questions

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 pm

>>> Any way to have that nifty MLLobby icon show up in the carousel instead of the chopped up section of my opening page?

None that I am aware of

>>> Any way to force it to open in full screen?

Yes, or nearly full screen. On the lower browse command bar on the right hand side you should see an icon with 4 arrows. Pressing this will make the browser go full screen with only the url bar showing. This is as full screen as I can get my Kindle Fire (gen 1) to go.

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 pm

I was afraid there were no easy answers.

Yeah, I know about the full screen button (and it goes completely full on the new Fire... so much so that I have unexpected real estate to spare at the bottom of the screen when it does... i.e. it's bigger than the 960 or whatever pixels the default Kindle settings in MLDesigner sets it for.

Drat on the icon. It looks pretty crappy this way. There must be some way to add it ... like it was a book cover or something.

I need to learn more about this strange new toy...

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:36 pm

When you create a new project you can define a custom screen size. Just look at the properties of the project. You don't have to just use the defaults.

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Yup, I saw that. Just didn't realize the second generation version (ice cream sandwich?) made full screen really a full screen.

A cursory prowl leads me to believe the only way to get this to do what I want (have an icon and open already in full screen) is to load it as an app, as opposed to a web page bookmark. And that opens a whole 'nother can of peas.

How is the icon added in the iPad? That might be a good jumping off spot for me...

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:43 pm

>>> Yup, I saw that. Just didn't realize the second generation version (ice cream sandwich?) made full screen really a full screen.

What's the native resolution of the screen? I'll add that as one of the new devices. I've been hoping that Amazon would update the OS on the original Kindle but it looks like it is dead technology.

>>> A cursory prowl leads me to believe the only way to get this to do what I want (have an icon and open already in full screen) is to load it as an app, as opposed to a web page bookmark. And that opens a whole 'nother can of peas.

Build a test home page that has a pleasant icon to it. Then open it and save it as a bookmark. It might just keep that image as the default in the bookcase.

>>> How is the icon added in the iPad? That might be a good jumping off spot for me...

The iPad has an option to save a bookmark to the desktop. Once you've done that it automatically runs the browser full screen when the app is launched from the desktop.

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 pm

>>What's the native resolution of the screen? I'll add that as one of the new devices.

I'll figure that out and get back to you. Going full screen seems to show an unexpected 20 pixels or so at the bottom of the screen.

>>Build a test home page that has a pleasant icon to it. Then open it and save it as a bookmark. It might just keep that image as the default in the bookcase.

You're way ahead of me... I was just coming here to post what I've figured out in that regard. They got rid of the bookcase, though, and your icon is saved either as just a bookmark, or, additionally, as part of the carousel.

Amazon's Silk browser saves the upper left corner of the index.html page as the icon every time a session is initiated. I haven't bothered to got the exact pixel count on it yet. It updates every time you access the home page, so just putting up a dummy index.html page once to make a nice icon (as I attempted) won't work but once. So I figured why not have a splash screen page that appears each session for a few seconds when you first open the home page? That screen (an overlay on index.html) would have the MLLobby logo in the correct position to make a nice logo. Thus it would always be the same no matter how many times you changed index.html around.

Now, I haven't dug into MLServer programming in ages. So maybe you can save me some time...

I figured on launch, the splash screen would be visible as an overlay, then an MLTimer would count down a few seconds, triggering a hide overlay command, revealing the home page. What's the easiest way to trigger a Hide|Overlay like that? Are we talking custom Javascript commands here?

The only other factor is to not see the splash screen overlay every time you return to the home screen. You only want it to appear at the beginning of a session. Is there a server variable that registers the start of a client session (and registers the end of it as well to reset the variable)? I figured the index.html startup commands could check that server variable and (somehow) decide to make the splash screen overlay visible or not depending on whether it's your first time there or not.

Am I on the right track here, or am I complicating a much simpler solution?

chiphayes

Postby chiphayes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Here are Amazon's specs on all their Kindles (the one my wife has is the second gen Fire 7" ... not a HD):

https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/cx-guidelines.html

I'm not a big fan of their browser (Silk) but the Kindle is supposed to be primarily an ebook reader, and it does a nice job of that. If it were just me, I'd go with the Google Nexus or iPad for ML work, but the wife is happy with this Kindle for now, so that's what I'm working on getting up and running (mama didn't raise no stupid boy...)

Return to “MainLobby for Android Tablets”