New wifi AP broke ML access

Topics for the MainLobby 4 client
Mr. Spock

New wifi AP broke ML access

Postby Mr. Spock » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:11 pm

I upgraded my wifi access point and it seems to have broke ML connectivity. All my wired connections are still fine. My wifi devices have internet access and can ping the ML server, but none of them can access ML.

I did not have to do any port forwarding on my old wifi access point. I tried opening 5004 on my new access point anyway and it did not seem to help.

Not sure if this matters since I can ping the server, but the server is at 192.168.0.30 and my new AP is forcing me to use 192.168.1.xxx. The 3rd octet can't be 0. All subnet masks are 255.255.255.0.

What am I missing here?
Live long and prosper.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: New wifi AP broke ML access

Postby DaveB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:09 am

Make sure to go to the MLS network setup panel and set the IP address of MLS to match the real IP that you are currently using (MLServer Options; Network Tab;) . Save, shutdown MLS, reboot the MLS machine and restart MLS after the change. You may also need to flush cache depending on if you use DHCP or not.

In your firewall on the MLS machine, make sure that you ports are open. Due to that machines IP address changing, you may need to do some re-configuration of your machine firewall. The MLS ports are automatically configured for you when you do a re-installation of MLS, which may be an easier option for you. Download the latest version of MLS and re-install, making sure to answer yes to the question concerning port configuration.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Mr. Spock

Postby Mr. Spock » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:03 pm

Thanks for replying DaveB.

Unfortunately those changes to the server did not help. Note that when I upgraded my wifi AP I did not change anything on the server including its IP address. The server has the same static IP address its always had. The clients are DHCP for both wifi and wired/Ethernet.

My Windows 8.1 server firewall is turned off. I've had previous problems where the server won't communicate with any (wired or wireless) clients if the Windows server firewall is turned on. I have inbound and outbound rules for ML in the server firewall (including ports), but it still gets blocked anyway. That forced me to turn off the servers Windows firewall long ago to make the clients work. I don't like doing that, but I don't have any other options either.

I tried turning off windows firewall on my clients, it normally works fine having it on for the clients. That did not help either.

I've run out of ideas...
Live long and prosper.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:25 pm

You said that the third octec changed. How could your MLS server IP address have stayed the same?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Mr. Spock

Postby Mr. Spock » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:22 am

Sorry if I was not clear.

The server was/is at 192.168.0.30 and all my wifi devices were in the 192.168.0.xxx range. I use a Motorola cable modem/router/access point combo box that sets this address statically. I still use this box as a cable modem/router, but have turned off the radio/AP part. I've now replaced the wifi/AP with a new Linksys WRT1900ACS. It forces me to use 192.168.1.xxx for all my wifi devices. The 3rd octet can be between 255 and 1, but can't be 0.
Live long and prosper.

cabinetmaker

Postby cabinetmaker » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:53 pm

If you have different third octets, then you have different subnets. I'm sure this is the problem. I'm pretty sure ML needs everything to be in the same subnet. I would switch all the static address from xxx.xxx.0.xxx to xxx.xxx.1.xxx. I know it can be a pain, but if one piece of hardware is forcing you to do this then it has to been done all down the line.

Synergy_Tech

Postby Synergy_Tech » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:23 pm

That model # looks to be a router, not an access point. By adding a second router you've put a firewall between yourself and mlserver and they're also running on different subnets, won't work. You could try changing the settings in the Linksys to match the other subnet (192.168.0.xxx) but I don't think that will work either. Ideally, I'd have the cable modem put into 'bridge mode' and just use the Linksys as your router but your wiring configuration may not allow this. You could also take back the Linksys router and put in an access point instead.

Mr. Spock

Postby Mr. Spock » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:51 pm

Damn. You guys are right. Even though it clearly says its a router with wifi, I just was not getting that it has a router built-in. I was totally focused on the AP aspect. So now this is a networking question.

The Motorola cable modem/router and Linksys router/wifi are both in the same location. They both have 4 port gigabit switches. I have the ability to route my Ethernet cables as necessary in my server room.

If I understand correctly I need to do the following:
1) Disable the router function in the Motorola box and only use it as a cable modem. It appears Moto is calling this NAPT (bridged/DOCSIS) mode.
2) Use the router function in the Linksys box.
3) All Ethernet connections to the rest of my home move from the Motorola box to the Linksys box.
4) Move all my Ethernet static addresses and port forwarding (by manually typing them) into the Linksys box.

Thanks for setting me straight.
Live long and prosper.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:27 am

That all sounds correct. Just watch out for bridged mode on the modem. Some providers block some of that functionality. I had to call Comcast to get mine to work in bridged mode.

The final item will be for you to get everything on the same IP range. At the end of the process, make sure that the network settings in MLS exactly match that of the machine it is running on.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Synergy_Tech

Postby Synergy_Tech » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, our service providers here are the only ones that can set bridge mode so you have to call and wait forever for tech support.

Return to “MainLobby 4 Client”