MainLobby takes "forever" to start

Topics for the MainLobby 4 client
RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: MainLobby takes "forever" to start

Postby RZajcew » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:39 am

By running Process Explorer (sysinternals) it looks like the dllhost.exe processes are children of a single svchost.exe process -- the DcomLauncher. That is, svchost.exe is invoked via:

C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch

The dllhost.exe processes that are being left behind are being started on the half hour (9:30:22, 10:00:22, 10:30:22, and so on). The dllhost.exe invocation is:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe /Processid:{BB389984-A9DD-43BC-A878-6DD935B03800}

This may be some sort of problem with my PC. But it is very strange that it seems to affect MainLobby and nothing else.

- Roman

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Just to add to this thread.

On my Main PC MainLobby was taking nearly a minute to load.
Then suddenly started loading in a second or two.

My Main PC is the Intel BOXDX79SI X79 , with a Intel Core i7-3960X 3.3 1 LGA 2011 Processor (6 cores) and 64GB of ram.
I'm using two Intel SSD 480GB drives in Raid 0. WIndows 7 Ultimate.
I do a lot of programming and video editing. Nothing is faster then this PC.

On my Samsung Series 7 Slate running WIndows 8 in takes about 6 seconds to load.

I think it is something in the scene files -- because it was taking a long time then as I developed more scenes in sped up.

Perhaps the OP can try a default scene?

And on a second thought, it may have sped up when I accidentally blew away all the server variables.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby RZajcew » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:57 pm

By figuring out when the dllhost.exe was supposed to be started and by watching the occurrence with Process Explorer (a very cool tool), I surmised that "Windows Search" was probably the culprit (it started up a child process at exactly the same second the dllhost.exe was started). I turned off the "Windows Search" feature for this PC, and there are no more extra dllhost.exe files created and MainLobby starts in a second or two every time.

A couple of questions:

1. Why do these dllhost.exe processes cause MainLobby to have problems starting up?

2. Living without "Windows Search" isn't a great way to go. I will have to research this part a bit further.

- Roman

Return to “MainLobby 4 Client”