New Cover Art Issues

Topics for the MainLobby 4 client
Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

New Cover Art Issues

Postby Oronomus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:35 am

I did some work combining several music folders into a new "Shared Music" folder and cleaning up tags. The process I followed was:
1. Delete all images from music folders
2. Used Tuneup to clean tags
3. Used Media Center 18 to search and save best cover art images - wrote new art to embedded tags, and NOT to folders, so that images will show up on other devices (smartphones, etc)
4. Deleted all ML temp images folder under MLServer
5. Deleted all images in "Images - Music" folder under MLServer
6. Deleted old music folders from MusicLobby libraries and
7. scanned only my new "Shared Music" folder

Problem - I think Musiclobby wrote a bunch of Dark or Black images to the individual Artist folders for about 5% of the titles. Any help available to fix this?

Example - Media Center shows good art for an Album:

Media Center.JPG

MainLobby client shows a dark image:

Client Alabama.jpg

File folder originally had no .jpg images included. So I think MainLobby added a large and small copy of the dark image:

Explorer Alabama Lady Down.JPG

I searched for small images and found a bunch of dark images in various folders:

Explorer.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Cover Art Issues

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 am

MusicLobby does not write any files back to the music folders. When it has to create a cover art file it is called cover.jpg and it is created in the MLServer\Images\ folders. Those files might have been created by JRiver but I suspect they were created from Windows Media Player since those are the file names WMP creates when it scans music folders.

Mr. Spock

Postby Mr. Spock » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm

I too am curious why MLServer has album art seemingly stored in multiple locations.

For me, this location has about 12,800 images (1.3GB) in it: \Cinemar\MLServer\Temp. Can I delete this?

I also find the ones Dave mentioned at \Cinemar\MLServer\Images\Music. Lots of duplicates and missing art, which is why I'm reading this thread and trying to fix it. Oronomus how is your clean-up system working out for you?

Thanks.
Live long and prosper.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 am

You can delete the everything in the \MLServer\Temp folder. The images in the \MLServer\Images folder are deemed safe for MLServer to manipulate / resize / delete etc.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Spock-
After Dave pointed out that ML did not write back files to the music folders, I went back and scrubbed my source art files. My recollection is that I was using Amazon and Google Images to find some hard to locate art. One problem I had was I ended up with a bunch of black images. I think what happened was this - when I clicked to on an Amazon picture to look at a larger image, the new larger file (that I saved) was in .png format. Not sure what happened next, but possibly the Amazon site saved the original in a black image, or Tuneup, WMC or Media Center 18 interpreted or altered that .png image to become a blank or black image, and embedded it as a blank file. My fix was to search the entire music folder and delete all .png images. I also searched and deleted all folder.jpg files in an effort to make all artist and album folders clear of art. Therefore, all of my saved artwork was in a top level "Cover Art" folder on my separate drive where the music folder was also a top level folder.

Once I felt like I had a good image for all albums in Cover Art, I took the following steps to rebuild the music and cover art files in MainLobby:

1. Delete all items in the MLServer/Temp folder
2. Delete all items in the MLServer/Images/Music folder
3. Delete all items in the MLServer/Cache/Music folder
4. Empty recycle bin
5. Under the MusicLobby App, click File->Database->Scan All Folders. I have some 16K+ songs so this took most of an hour to complete.
6. After the scan completes, restart MLServer. Then restart MLClient. Do a page by page search for art work that is still missing.
7. In my case, during the scan probably 90+% of the album art was picked up from the Cover Art folder or from a correct embedded image. Most of the rest was picked up by MainLobby's search function. You can watch the scan function in the MusicLobby app event viewer to see how this happens. But even after all this work, maybe 1-2 out of a 100 cover art images were still missing. Some of the missing artwork was in large file format in my Cover Art folder, such as where I actually scanned the physical CD album covers for some classical music where I could not find art work online. This large size may have had an effect. I never cleared the embedded art images so that may have had an effect also.
8. Next, you have a choice to either (i) use Content Manager to "link" the music folder and the art image where you know you have a good image in the Cover Art folder, or (ii) open the missing art image and save it to the appropriate music folder as a folder.jpg file, and then re-scan. I chose the former since the scan function took so long.

There are certainly other and possibly much better and faster better ways to do this. But this is the sequence I chose which gave me 100% accuracy in my cover art. Hope this helps.

Return to “MainLobby 4 Client”