Amazon, Netflix, and movies (DLNA) one box

Topics for MLServer Device Drivers
Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Amazon, Netflix, and movies (DLNA) one box

Postby Art Dustman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Has anyone used a pc/nuc device to push amazon prime, netflix, and movies (specifically 3D from a NAS) out one single device seamlessly?

I have Dunes, but they are a one-trick pony. I like amazon prime, but boxes that do that can't be controlled via Cinemar. Same applies with Netflix. I believe I can run all three on a NUC or similar, but I don't want to see frames or console screens, etc. I press play on any of these and I just get the movie. I want to just change between any of the sources and it just works. [-o<

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Amazon, Netflix, and movies (DLNA) one box

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:55 pm

With the exception of 3D (no support for that in my home) I have that running here right now. I have an i5 NUC, 64bit Win10, 8GB memory, 120GB mSata on a gigabit backbone. The NUC runs the AVAgent. All my ripped NAS movies are in MKV format. They are played using Media Player Classic BE. Amazon and Netflix are played full screen using the browser window in the AVAgent. If you need 3D then you'd probably have to use PowerDVD 15 as the movie player.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Ok. I'll give that a whirl and see if I can make it do 3D too with power dvd.

randyf

Postby randyf » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:53 am

Dave - what's your process for getting the movies into the MKV format? Are you using a combo of AnyDVD and MakeMKV? Have you had any issues with subtitles?

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:49 am

I use AnyDVD in combination with a utility called Handbreak. I tell Handbreak to only include the forced subtitles. This gets me what I need 95% of the time. There have been times when I am missing subtitles and in those cases I have Media Player Classic load a set of external subtitles with the movie.

randyf

Postby randyf » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks for the info Dave.

ggraef

Postby ggraef » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:57 pm

Dave,

I've been thinking about the possibility of something like this... what do you use for remote control (e.g. pause, ffwd, etc.) of Netflix and Amazon though AV Agent? I never did find a very good hard button remote option so I'm always on the lookout...
Thanks!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:24 pm

When we're in the TV room we typically use the iPad or iPad Touch to select and control the media playback.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:46 am

I'm working with a nuc and have power dvd 15. It will launch an iso, but it takes some time, whereas the dune is instant; but it seems to do it. It does however play all trailers and has a menu, which I avoid with the dune. I need to figure out a play only main movie parameter or hidden setting.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Don't think there is any setting in PDVD that will skip the noise and only play the main movie. Suggest trying Media Player Classic BE as it does bypass the noise and only plays the main movie.

The Agent will inject a 5 second pause waiting for the .iso file to mount. You can adjust that time in the Agent settings.

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”