NEW Nest Thermostat Driver

Topics for MLServer Device Drivers
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

NEW Nest Thermostat Driver

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:56 pm

The Nest Thermostat Driver has been re-released. The new version of the driver is now using Google's "Works With Nest" program and public API. Setting up this driver is a bit different than our normal set of drivers. You must follow these steps exactly in the order listed.

1) If you have the old Nest driver installed you must delete any Nest Climate devices currently listed in Family Manager.

2) Install the new Nest Driver and Restart MLServer.

3) Once MLServer as initialized go into the Nest Driver and the Authorization Tab.

4) Click on the Authorize Button. This will launch the default browser and take you to the Home.Nest.com website. Log into the Nest website if not automatically logged in. You will be presented with a "Works With Nest" web page where you will see that the Nest Driver for MLServer is requesting access to see and control your Thermostats and Smoke detectors.

5) Click on the Accept button on the page if you think we are worthy of being trusted to control your thermostats.

6) This will take you to a page where you will see a Pincode displayed. Copy this pincode and paste it into the Pin Code text box on the driver's Authorization tab. Then click on the Save button.

Once you have pressed Save go into the Devices tab on the driver. Your thermostats should be listed in the grid on the tab.

Polling. We must poll the thermostats at regular intervals to get their current status. You can adjust the time on this tab. NOTE: DO NOT set the polling value too low. If you poll to frequently the Nest servers will block access to your thermostats. I do not know what the lowest value is but I know that polling at 30 second intervals will get you blocked. I tried 60 seconds and it ran several hours without an issue. The Driver will default 240 seconds. Room Temps do not change that frequently so there should not be a need to poll at a fast rate. A status poll will happen after every command so your UI should always be pretty accurate. If you do get into trouble by polling too frequently just go into the Authorization and get a new PinCode. This will refresh the authorization code and will remove the ban.

Setting temperatures.
The Nest thermostat has 5 modes it can run in. Away, Off, Heat, Cool, Heat-Cool.
When in Away or Off modes you cannot adjust any temperatures.
When in Heat or Cool mode you can adjust the Target Temperature.
When in Heat-Cool mode you can adjust the Target High Temp and the Target Low Temp.

You'll notice that the sample scenes have separate buttons for making these temperature adjustments. The appropriate buttons are visible depending on the mode the thermostat is in.

Control via the Cloud.
This driver does not talk directly to your devices. Instead it must send the commands to the Nest servers in the cloud which then relay the commands to your devices and then sends the results back to the driver. So if you lose Internet access the driver is not able to see or control your thermostats.

Living with round-trip delays. My measurements show that it takes 1.5-2 seconds for the round trip command sequence. Not too bad but certainly not instantaneous like we are used to. So this means that the people out there who love to mash on buttons might get a little frustrated waiting for the thermostat to play catch up with the button presses. Patience is key here.

Other things of interest. I do not have Nest equipment here but I have been experimenting with one of our customers Nest thermostats. I've tested all the supported commands and they all work. However, I have seen commands fail at times. Nothing in the driver changes the command works 20 times and then all of a sudden the Nest servers will respond with a "Bad Request" error response. Not quite sure what this is. It may be some growing pains on the Nest servers as a lot more people hit them or it just might be something flaky with my Internet service. And I can testify that my Internet service is quite flaky. We'll gather more data on this as other folks start using the driver.

This driver DOES NOT yet support the Nest Smoke detectors. This will be added shortly.

All of the Sample web apps have been updated to include a new scene for controlling a Nest thermostat.

Here are some images that show what you should be seeing. Let us know how this works for you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

erikhimber
Expert
Expert

Re: NEW Nest Thermostat Driver

Postby erikhimber » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Dave,

Great Job !!!!

Setup was a breeze, following your directions.

Seems to be working very well, I have the polling set to 75 seconds, will let you know if they kick me out for that time frame.

Thanks for this one.
Erik

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Just updated the Nest Driver to support the Nest Protect Smoke Detectors. They are read-only devices but you'll get Battery, CO Level, Smoke and general status.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:08 am

Dave,

Great job on the new Nest Thermostat Drive! I can't tell you how much my family and I have waited for this feature. Although I do have one little problem. We have two Nest thermostats, and for some reason only one is showing up in the Nest Climate Family Driver screen. I have logging enabled and see the following errors showing up in the attached file.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Todd

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:43 am

Todd can you email me your home.nest.com login info. I've only tested with folks that have one thermostat. Once I can see both of yours I'll track down the issue.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Just updated the driver to correct for the not finding multiple thermostats issue described above.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Thanks Dave,

It works perfect!

-Todd

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks Dave,

Just managed to give this a full test and the thermostat control is working really well. It's so nice to get rid of my Zwave thermostat with its hit and miss connectivity.

Now I have to sit patiently waiting for winter to see if Nest can do a better job at scheduling than I currently do myself.......

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:01 am

Dave,

Can the Nest thermostat's humidity information be polled and displayed as well? I couldn't find a server client variable for humidity.

Thanks,

Todd

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:08 am

No Google decided not to provide that information in the new api.

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Okay, thanks. I have some other sensors I can use to obtain the data.

Best regards,

Todd

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Nest has updated their API and we can now gather Humidity data from the thermostats. The driver has been updated and you'll now see the humidity server variable.

However, the change in the API requires that you re-authorize the driver to allow it to collect the new data. Just follow the authorization process as described in the first post and enter the new PIN code.

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bigbrother » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 pm

does the nest have to talk to the cloud or can information be shared locally only?

BB

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Nest has to talk to the cloud. There is no direct access to the local thermostats.

djsl

Postby djsl » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:10 pm

I just installed a couple of nest thermostats and i have the plugin working. Are the scenes for the nest thermostats available for download?

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”