Plex Driver Updated

Topics for MLServer Device Drivers
albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Plex Driver Updated

Postby albright_family » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:27 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Line 977 is where it is trying to read Genre info for the movie and it is failing. Hard to know why unless see what it is getting from the Plex server.

Okay, maybe it might have been a fluke, I made some changes to Plex (recently redid a lot of my movies up to 1080p vs 480/720), re-running the import now, I will post back the results.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 am

Guess it was just a fluke, didn't appear this time around. Although it didn't get 'kicked' out when it encountered that error, it kept going. Which is very nice.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:11 pm

Has there been any update on fixing titles that are being improperly imported into ML from Plex. Specifically the TV shows, which in plex you cannot edit the sort title for a season, but when it is imported into ML, the sort title is filled with the title of the first episode of the season. This results in about an hour of work for me re-sorting tv shows after every import

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:38 am

I will have to remote in and capture some new xml from your Plex server so I can see how the shows are defined. Then I can update the driver.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:45 am

PM sent with connection info

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:59 pm

CinemarDave wrote:I will have to remote in and capture some new xml from your Plex server so I can see how the shows are defined. Then I can update the driver.

Have you had a chance to remote in and take a look?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:29 pm

not yet. trying to get to it today. If not then on Wednesday.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:56 am

The Plex driver has been updated to correct for the incorrect sort title on multi-season imports.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:10 am

I happened to be home when I saw the message that my MLServer was restarted (clued me in that you were logged in), and just saw your private message. A few problems still exist, and I am not sure how to fix them:
The Simpsons, have a sort title set as "The Simpsons" rather than "Simpsons" (I see absolutely no way to change this in plex)
Seasons are out of order (It goes Season 1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) (I see absolutely no way to change this in plex)

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:22 pm

I can strip off the leading "The" but the numbers < 10 will have to have leading zeros applied to make it sort properly. I'll try an experiment.

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:52 pm

CinemarDave wrote:I can strip off the leading "The" but the numbers < 10 will have to have leading zeros applied to make it sort properly. I'll try an experiment.

experiment away, "mi casa es su casa" (or better would be "mi cinemar es su cinemar") :)

albright_family
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby albright_family » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Thank you so very much Dave!! The Plex driver appears to be working beautifully now (I only did a test run through with my Simpsons episodes, as I am not home), but so far it looks great!!

Thank you again!!

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:39 pm

I love Plex a lot - I am able to stream to my iOS device when I travel - even on LTE... When I get home, a yearn for plex to be my interface to select media for my home media devices (mostly Dune) - I think the interface in web designer has come a long way, but I feel Plex is much better. Managing media is a breeze in Plex and it is very easy to manage and maintain.

With that said, there are a few things that I feel could close the gap - at least for my needs, maybe others too.

1) Library (folder) support - I now have media portal recording shows, and those recorded shows go into a library folder in Plex - works great - I also have a few other libraries (one for BluRay discs, one for DVD's, one for scanned TV shows, one for new recordings, one for old ones) - all these libraries are slammed into one directory in ML - the result is an unwieldy amount of stuff to navigate. I have over a thousand movies and TV shows...
2) Along the line of #1, a better interface for series - If I choose a TV series, I can move to each episode (one by one) but take something like Seinfeld with a ton of episodes - ouch. In Plex, there is a hierarchy that I wish ML would support (TV Series, Season, Episode)...
3) A more fluid interface to select movies - in the current movie selector, it seems it takes a long time to populate - when I swipe down, it only goes down a page or so until the next group populates - then, I can swipe again to go another page. Trying to get to the lower letters (P, Q,etc.) takes a long long time. In Plex, immediately I can swipe and quickly get to those letters. And, there is a shadow letter selector on the right in Plex which really help

I understand this is probably a lot of work and to me it is an unenvious position - ML has to replicate all these "mature" products that in themselves are great but don't address home automation. I mean, Plex has a large group of developers cranking out newer versions of a media player with high frequency - they don't do home automation. Same with XMBC (now Kodi). So maybe it begs the question - wouldn't it be better to select one of these and use that solution as THE media selector/manager interface allowing you to focus on the core product? Why reinvent the wheel? I feel there is already a precedent in ML for this - namely, ZWave (Vera is the lighting tool), freeing you from all that Zwave madness. So why not latch on to one of these developed media tools and leverage its' interface and offerings? Also, a tight integration with Plex could open up ML to any more users...

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:26 pm

All good UI suggestions and certainly the direction we are heading.

But, it's not good business practice to make a big portion of your business model rely on the whims of another company. What happens when they close the API, get bought, etc? Even though the odds are small we've been burned by this before. I believe the best model is to support them by integrating what that have into our model. It's what we are doing and will continue to do.

Prior to the web apps we were limited to what we could do in Flash. We've got a much broader palette to work with now. The only limitation is the number of hands on deck. Angel investors are welcomed.

There's tons of new features in development. Looking at the User Portal you can see there are some very robust web editing solutions already in play. Evolving quickly.

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Looking at the User Portal you can see there are some very robust web editing solutions already in play.

I've been away from the forum for a while. What is the "User Portal"?

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”