Venstar Driver Released

Topics for MLServer Device Drivers
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Venstar Driver Released

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:56 pm

All the driver is doing is issuing REST calls on the thermostat.

Open a browser and go to http://<venstar ip add>>:80/query/info and see what happens. This is what the driver does to get status? Does it look like a normal response?

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:22 pm

CinemarDave wrote:All the driver is doing is issuing REST calls on the thermostat.

Open a browser and go to http://<venstar ip add>>:80/query/info and see what happens. This is what the driver does to get status? Does it look like a normal response?

Dave,

Okay, simply performing the REST call resulted in the thermostat rebooting. I then queried the "2nd Floor" thermostat and received a semi-mangled response though it was still a valid xml document. Basically it appears the space in the name is causing the thermostat issues which is a little baffling so I will (soon) file a defect with Venstar. In the meantime I have removed all spaces from the thermostat names ("Master Suite" = "MasterSuite") and everything is working perfectly.

Thanks!

- Jeff

Update: Opened a support issue with VenStar so we'll see what they have to say...

tmcgowan

Postby tmcgowan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:11 pm

I used to use the VenStar thermostats when I was still using HomeSeer. I stopped after coming home from a vacation in which the house had some how went into heat mode in the summer and the temperature was over 95 degrees. Every candle in the house had melted into bizarre shapes and it took almost three days for our two HVAC systems to bring them temperature back down into the high 70's.

That's when I decided to move over to NEST thermostats. Maybe not the perfect solution for everyone, but at least you could independently monitor the temperate from the iPhone app.

Sorry to hear about your experience!

-Todd

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:20 pm

tmcgowan wrote:I used to use the VenStar thermostats when I was still using HomeSeer. I stopped after coming home from a vacation in which the house had some how went into heat mode in the summer and the temperature was over 95 degrees. Every candle in the house had melted into bizarre shapes and it took almost three days for our two HVAC systems to bring them temperature back down into the high 70's.

That's when I decided to move over to NEST thermostats. Maybe not the perfect solution for everyone, but at least you could independently monitor the temperate from the iPhone app.

Sorry to hear about your experience!

-Todd

Todd,

Thanks for the heads up regarding your experience. The model I purchased is wifi enabled so I can monitor and control through both the Venstar App and a web browser but ideally I will want to control it through MLS. Although, it is nice to have an alternate option should one or the other fail.

- Jeff

PS: No response yet from Venstar to my support request so I might have to actually take time to call them next week....

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:28 pm

CinemarDave wrote:All the driver is doing is issuing REST calls on the thermostat.

Dave,

I am setting up the new HA computer w/Windows 10 but have run into a slight problem... First be aware everything is in trial mode as I am waiting for the activation keys (too bad there isn't an automated process to handle this).

This is a completely clean install and the Venstar device driver doesn't appear to do anything. Eventually I went to the Climate family and manually defined a Venstar thermostat which works but it doesn't detect the other three thermostats. I also could not enter my climate product code until I created the thermostat manually and restarted MLS... So I don't know if this is a catch-22 where I need an activated climate product before detection works?

Status right now; most everything is pending activation keys, one thermostat manually defined is updating, three other thermostats are not auto-detected.

- Jeff

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Jeff, I've been sending you the activation codes. Are you not getting them? Are they going into the spam folder?

The Venstar thermostats auto discover. You do not add them manually. Turn on logging of broadcasts in the driver. Do you see the thermostat broadcasts? No? Firewall might be blocking. Turn it off if it is running.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Switched to Venstar and have no issues. Dave, my model supports humidity, but I don't see that value coming back from the driver. Is that something you can add? T8900

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:51 pm

It should be there already. I have the older T5900 and I'm getting the variable here.

Capture the output from your thermostat at http://<<tstat ip address>>:<<tstat port>>/query/info and send it to me. There is supposed to be a "hum" value in there.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:50 pm

There is and it's 0, but there is also humidity setpoints that aren't documented in the API. I'm going to gather more info and I'll send you what I get.

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:38 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Jeff, I've been sending you the activation codes. Are you not getting them? Are they going into the spam folder?

The Venstar thermostats auto discover. You do not add them manually. Turn on logging of broadcasts in the driver. Do you see the thermostat broadcasts? No? Firewall might be blocking. Turn it off if it is running.

Dave,

The MainLobby Server is really finicky... after multiple restarts things mysteriously started working fine.

I am a bit disappointed in Venstar, there has been no response to my ticket about thermostat names with a space resulting in the thermostat rebooting when queried.

Sorry for the really late reply...

- Jeff

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”