Venstar Driver Released

Topics for MLServer Device Drivers
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Venstar Driver Released

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:45 pm

A driver for all Venstar WiFi Thermostats has been released. This driver will automatically discover your networked thermostats and add them into the Family manager. It is a member of the Climate Family. Over the weekend I installed a Venstar T5900 and the driver appears to be doing everything it is supposed to do.

Please note: Venstar thermostats do not allow remote control commands by default. You must go into "Menu" -
"Accessories" screen and turn ON "Local API" after connecting to the wireless network on each thermostat.

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Venstar Driver Released

Postby bigbrother » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 am

does this thermostat require connection to the cloud?

It looks like it can be directly accessed, but I cant get a strait answer.

thanks BB

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:12 am

Venstar did things the right way. Their thermostats do talk to the cloud if you want to use their apps but they also let us talk directly to the thermostat and that is what the driver does. I have one in my home and it is working fine.

bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bigbrother » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:24 pm

Great, I think this is the way I would prefer to go.

THanks BB

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby RZajcew » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:41 am

I just installed a Venstar T5800 thermostat with a SkyPort (WiFi) card.

The thermostat is on-line and working, and I can access it via the SkyPort website.

I have the Venstar driver loaded in MLServer. However, MLServer is not detecting the presence of the thermostat. Thoughts?

- Roman

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:39 pm

The thermostat should send out a broadcast beacon every few minutes. Enable logging of beacons in the driver and see if the driver is picking up those broadcasts.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby RZajcew » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:16 pm

CinemarDave wrote:The thermostat should send out a broadcast beacon every few minutes. Enable logging of beacons in the driver and see if the driver is picking up those broadcasts.

I should have mentioned that I had already enabled logging of beacons on the device driver, and there was nothing logged.

- Roman

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:28 pm

Unless it gets a broadcast from the thermostat it cannot automatically add it. You can manually add it in Family Manager then see if the driver can poll it.

Also, verify the server can access the thermostat. Open http://<<venstar ip address>>:<<venstar port>>/query/info in a browser and see if you get a response back.

Did you also do this?

Please note: Venstar thermostats do not allow remote control commands by default. You must go into "Menu" -
"Accessories" screen and turn ON "Local API" after connecting to the wireless network on each thermostat.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby RZajcew » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:01 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Unless it gets a broadcast from the thermostat it cannot automatically add it. You can manually add it in Family Manager then see if the driver can poll it.

Also, verify the server can access the thermostat. Open http://<<venstar ip address>>:<<venstar port>>/query/info in a browser and see if you get a response back.

Did you also do this?

I am running the latest firmware, and I can't find an "Accessories" screen, nor a mention of the API. The ColorTouch Assistant has nothing I could see either.

Re using http://<<venstar ip address>>:<<venstar port>>/query/info, what is a good value for <venstar port>? Port 80 doesn't do anything useful.

- Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby RZajcew » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Possibly the thermostat suddenly "started behaving". Or possibly I was just missing something totally obvious.

In any case, the Accessories menu item showed up and I enabled the Local API and all is well.

Sorry for the noise.
- Roman

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby RZajcew » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 pm

I was having a problem with the SkyPort (WiFi) card in one of my Venstar thermostats.

While the card was giving me problems, I noticed that MLServer would come to a dead halt for 27 seconds (or so) when I executed a Climate command directed at the thermostat. This was very repeatable.

- Roman

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Something I've been meaning to do for a while is make that poll happen on a background thread. I'll update the driver in the morning.

ggraef

Postby ggraef » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:47 am

It looks like I'm going to have to replace my furnace and the aging thermostat that goes with it. What exactly goes having a Venstar talking to MLServer give you? i.e. what data is flowing? Is there any historical data logging? Or is this just a reporting of basic stats and the ability to override current settings, e.g. fan and temp?

Thanks!
Gerry

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:13 am

The driver gives you basic command and control of the thermostat. Change modes, adjust temperatures, etc. You also get all the variables back that show you what it is doing. The driver talks directly to the thermostat but the Venstar thermostats also talk to the cloud and a lot of historical data is available for viewing using the Venstar's web app. Ultimately once the new MLDatabase app is released you will be able to set rules and log your own sets of data then generate reports on that data inside our web apps. If you are replacing the furnace I'd strongly recommend going with a smart thermostat that can be integrated into the HA system.

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Dave,

I really don't understand why my setup always seems so "special"..... My Aprilaire thermostats stopped responding to communications and I have been unable to determine exactly why, so I decided it was time to switch.

Based upon reading the forums and looking at what MainLobby supports I have installed four VenStar T7850 thermostats which all connected via wifi, connected to the VenStar cloud, and I can remotely control via web and their iPhone app.

I went to each thermostat and enabled straight HTTP API control and three of the four thermostats are fine, the fourth thermostat (named; Master Suite) goes into a reboot cycle. Within moments of being on the Wifi network the thermostat reboots before I can do anything. At first I thought it was a faulty thermostat but when I shutdown MainLobby (to prevent the API from being used) the thermostat was fine, enable MainLobby and the thermostat goes into a reboot loop. MainLobby knows it's there and added it to the Climate Family but otherwise it's useless.

What can I provide you as I expect this is going to be a pain to debug.....

The only thing I can think of is I have not tried changing the name from "Master Suite", otherwise the setup is identical to the other thermostats (1st Floor, 2nd Floor, and Theater).

Thanks!

- Jeff

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”