Russound RIO Driver Released

Topics for MLServer Device Drivers
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Russound RIO Driver Released

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:09 pm

A native V4 device driver for Russound RIO devices (ACA-E5, MCA-C3, MCA-C5) has been released. This is for Russound devices that support the RIO protocol ONLY! Use the RNet version of the driver for all other Russound devices.

The RIO driver supports the same command set, set up and server variables as the RNet version of the driver with a couple of exceptions.

Those exceptions are:
1) The Russound RIO protocol document makes no mention of how you talk to or control the built in tuners.
2) The Keypad commands are expanded on the RIO. There's a lot more buttons available on the RIO keypad commands.
3) There's no mention in the RIO protocol document how we can trigger off of physical keypad button push events. As such there is no event trigger logic active in the RIO driver. Once I can see what happens when a physical keypad button is pressed the event triggers can be added.

Since RIO and RNet are apples and oranges please keep the RIO and RNet questions in their appropriate threads.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Re: Russound RIO Driver Released

Postby bigDvette » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:32 am

Family Manager sets up the driver like this

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 9.26.48 AM.png

When it starts all you get is

AddDevice - Error at AddDevice at line #255 - Input string was not in correct format.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 am

Try the default IP port. Also supply an RNET address and move your IP address to the "Net Address" column. See if those steps help:

Russound RIO Connection Setup.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:53 am

Nope. When I change RNET address to 1 and move IP to net Address, nothing happens. When I restart it goes back to the way AV Family Driver configured it.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:51 pm

These settings work for me (set them in Family Manager). Are you getting IP communication with the C3? (Good cat5e cable?) I don't use keypads, so I used a Russound software program called SCS-C5 to make the original setup through the ethernet port. That confirmed that I had good IP communication with the C5. Is a similar software program provided with the C3? Maybe also check your router's DHCP reservation table to make sure it is reserving the 192.168.3.150 address for the C3. If all that fails, Dave will have to chime in.

Russound RIO.JPG

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 pm

When you define the MCA in Family Manager it should look like this. The IP Address and RNet device number are both in the address field.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Ok, I got it to work (connect). However, I have had to disable it. It is consuming massive CPU each time it gets a command in the log. The CPU keep spiking at running between 50 and 65%. When disabled it runs between 1 and 10% processing commands.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:19 pm

That doesn't make too much sense. All it does it get a small packet of xml data on the interrupt. It shouldn't consume a lot of CPU. Unless the MCA is flooding the PC with data. Are you sure you just didn't see it during the initialization. During that time the device is spilling its guts to the driver and that would be a lot of data coming in. However that would eventually settle down after it has sent all its initial data dump.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Nope, with the drive enabled the system runs up at 50 to 60% cpu and other drivers commands are all held up and responsiveness of UI is sluggish. This goes on indefinitely. Turn off the driver and restart and everything thing runs find. Maybe there is some loop happening.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:38 pm

I guess its something I have to see myself in order to understand what it is doing.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:38 am

Dave, after reading BigDvette's post, I went back and tested the RIOS driver and found similar problems. Mainly high cpu usage associated with some kind of loop or other cycle created by an on or off command. I have a mixer page that shows the on or off status of each of the 8 zones on my C5.

1. When I press most any button, the power buttons roll through a rapid sequence of on and off and the volume levels fluctuate up and down, sometimes for almost a minute before they settle to a constant state; the CPU usage spikes to 30%+ for my system until it settles, and
2. am getting no response to slider volume movements (AV|21~Volume~1~{{value}}). Also, "AV|21~Volume~1~0-100" (such as AV|21~Volume~1~45) produces a response in event log, but does not change the volume setting or the variable.

Couple of additional issues I noted:

1. "AV|21~Loudness~1~toggle" produces no response
2. "AV|21~Party~1~on" seems to toggle between Master and Off on the party variable, but Party~toggle gets no response
3. "AV|21~TOV~0-100" (such as AV|21~TOV~40) produces a response in event log, but does not change the TOV or update the variable

BTW, Dave i know it takes some time to work out the kinks in these new drivers and we all appreciate the hard work that you do!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Ok, I'll have to spend time on someone's system playing with this since I don't have the hardware here.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:41 pm

The Rio driver has been updated. It will not be as resource intensive as before.

What I discovered was the the Rio has a nice feature that let's you "subscribe" to system events. So that whenever something changes the driver will get notified. That's what the driver is doing as this provides the real-time feedback we need without having to poll.

However, the RIO has a trick up its sleeve. When you subscribe to the events anytime one item changes it just doesn't tell you about the one item that changed. No, instead it gives you a dump of ALL the current values in the RIO even if they didn't change. So a small change to the RIO ends up sending 100s of variable updates and this floods the driver doing a lot of unnecessary work. So I had to modify the driver to maintain a copy of all the RIO variables in memory and then look at the traffic coming in and only accept the traffic if the variable actually changed values. This should make things run a lot smoother now.

Also, some of the "toggle" type commands needed some fixing. They should be working now too.

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:31 pm

I just got my MCA-C5 and am wondering what the advantages are of the RIO vs the RNet driver? Is it just the ability to use IP rather than serial? The caveats listed above seem to make the RNet still more appealing -I already have the serial ports so no issue there.
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 am

Kirkfrey - I just installed a C5. Originally built a control page (similar to the old MLCAV6.6 "Mixer" page) for the serial RNET driver, then modified that page for IP when Dave first released the RIO driver. Even with Dave's most recent RIO fixes, I am still getting choppy behavior on that page with the RIO commands. Using my mixer page, I can see an on or off status for each zone at a glance. When I select power~on for a specified zone (using RIO), I get a pattern of blinking on and off for all of the other zones until they settle to a fixed position. Also, the volume sliders for all the other zones go up and down until they settle. Not really crisp and very distracting. Because of these problems, I am still using the RNET driver and have not really compared the two drivers to see, for example, whether one provides more commands or exposes a greater number of variables than the other.

That said, I believe that most every device that enables third party control will eventually communicate only through an IP port. At some point out in the future I expect that Russound will drop the serial connection for future products (although they are a slow moving company, so it could be a while!). Because of this, I think it makes sense for Dave to keep working on the RIO driver until he either gets it stable or gives up on RIO until Russound fixes their protocol. In the meantime, we still have the serial port for our c5's and c3's, which for me is working fine.

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”