Emotiva XMC 1

Topics for MLServer Device Drivers
bigbrother
Intermediate
Intermediate

Emotiva XMC 1

Postby bigbrother » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:02 am

Any thoughts on Emotiva Control? They already can be controlled with many other. Compatible with Control4, RTI, URC, Crestron, etc as per website.

Thanks in Advance.
BB

For technical support or service issues, please contact: 
support@emotiva.com

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Emotiva XMC 1

Postby RZajcew » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:17 pm

[I am not speaking for Cinemar or for Dave]

I've looked at the Emotiva protocol with an eye to writing a device driver.

Unlike most other protocols (all other protocols I have looked at, actually), the Emotiva protocol is based on UDP/IP. And Dave's AV Device Driver framework code (that I have) is oriented around either TCP/IP devices or Serial (RS232) devices. And it's actually not super difficult to use this framework for pretty much any AV device (I'm not that familiar with the framework, and I figure I could do pretty much any device with a day or so of concentrated work).

However, changing the framework to use UDP rather than TCP was certainly something I didn't feel like approaching.

- Roman

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:40 pm

If they do use UDP for broadcasting commands it is something that could be supported. UDP has less overhead than TCP but I wonder how or if they support two-way feedback? If you are interested in a driver send me an email and we can discuss.

RZajcew
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby RZajcew » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:31 pm

The Emotiva protocol uses UDP broadcasts so that a client can identify which Emotiva controllers reside on the network. I guess the Emotiva device driver could make use of this to populate the AV device table. But that part of the protocol does not need to be used, and the AV devices can also be populated manually.

Control of the actual Emotiva XMC-1's uses point-to-point UDP packets. Clients "subscribe" explicitly to specific types of event notifications on the controller, and the controller will then send subscribed-to status changes to relevant clients. [For example, a client could subscribe to power events, in which any changes to power status would be sent to that client] Additionally, a client can send UDP packets to the Emotiva to actually change things (power on/off, volume, etc). This part of the protocol does not use broadcasts.

- Roman

Return to “MLServer 4 Device Drivers”