Series and Seasons

Topics for MLServer Applets
cabinetmaker

Series and Seasons

Postby cabinetmaker » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:25 pm

I love how you managed multiple disc sets, and how you can even pull episode information into the descriptions of many TV series. This is a huge huge feature. When I first did my Star Trek discs years ago, it took me weeks to enter in the episode information.

I do have one question. Is there a way to tell which, of the sometimes many choices when adding a title to the content manager, one(s) have episode information? My son loves Avatar and I'm currently adding those into my library, but after checking many of the listings that pull up, I can't seem to find the one (if there is one) that has the episode information. I skipped Avatar for the moment and went on to the Jetsons and found both the listing that just includes the whole discs and the listing that fills in all the episode information.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Series and Seasons

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:38 pm

The detailed episode information is coming in via the integration with TheMovieDb api. So it really doesn't matter which title you select from the main search. It is all tied to setting the movie type to TV Shows and then the season number to the correct season. That should give you the best match for the search into the TMDB database. If you fail to find a TMDB number then you could manually do a TMDB search on their website to see if they have it cataloged by a different name. As long as you can find a matching TMDB number the episode data should flow in.

cabinetmaker

Postby cabinetmaker » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:07 pm

Can the TMDB number be entered manually? Not sure if that even helps because I can't seem to find the TMDB number anywhere. IMDB is easy. the web address contains the IMDB number, but I can't find the TMDB number for a title anywhere on the site.

I copied the series title directly from the TMDB page, but the episode information still won't flow in. I think colons gives the search feature some fits sometimes. This isn't a big deal as Avatar the last airbender is the only show, so far, that I've run across that won't sync with TMDB. I'll probably just enter the information manually. I finished 34 episodes of "Wacky Racers" and the first disc of the set didn't match up with with the information that filled into the episodes section. That was frustrating in itself as I did a google search for the proper episode sequence and found three different sequences. I finally just went off the disc sequence. At this point, I'm scared to think how much time I've spent on this, and I only have 400 discs complete, and I'm seriously considering going ahead and copying all my DVDs to my NAS. :/

cabinetmaker

Postby cabinetmaker » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:53 pm

It must be the colons in series titles that screw with the synching between content manager and TMDB. I've run into another issue and this one could be a big issue only because I have so many discs... But it's the various Star Trek series. I'm trying to catalog my Next Generation episodes and no matter what I do, it's changing the information to the TOS series. Considering I have all the episodes of all the series, this could be a serious time anchor.

***********Update*********

I answered my own question without realizing it. When I first started trying to synch the data, I first hit the "Refresh Metadata" button the process changed my information to TOS information. I then canceled out the refresh and clicked on the magnifying glass next to the title. I tried half a dozen different entries from the list and each one replaced my next generation information with TOS information. I then tried various different title searches with the same result. I then posted the above. After sitting here a bit, I re-read what I had written and the statement "must be the colons in series titles that screw" got me thinking about how the title is written in the data base. It's "Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season One". I have never typed in any of these titles. I had a bar code scanner and that input the upc and all the titles pulled up from there. So seeing two colons in the title pushed me to try "Star Trek The Next Generation: Season One". I clicked on "Refresh Metadata" after removing that one colon and all is right with the world...

Hmmm... Maybe I should see if there are two colons in Avatar

***********Update2*********

Sigh... Yup, two colons in the avatar title. Removed one and all the information flowed in.

Return to “MLServer 4 Applets”