AVAgent Slowing Rips

Topics for MLServer Applets
cabinetmaker

AVAgent Slowing Rips

Postby cabinetmaker » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:51 am

So I decided to cull my DVD changers from 4 to 2 now that I've got 20 Terabytes of storage. I have just been using DVDFab to rip my bluRays one at a time then manually adding them to the Content Manager, but now that I'm looking at doing 800 discs, I've set up AVAgent to automatically start DVDFab and Rip a disc as I load them into the PC. Unfortunately, I've noticed that doing it this way greatly slows down the speed of my Rips. If I start DVDFab manually and rip a disc, it copies at 6-8Mbs. If I let AVAgent do it, it slows down to less than 1MBs and sometimes much less. Any ideas?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AVAgent Slowing Rips

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Check the options that are defined in the DVDFab startup options area. I suspect you are missing a DVD9 or BD50 entry and without it DVDFab is wasting time trying to compress the files. Other than that the only thing the Agent is doing is launching DVDFab and passing those command parameters. Once DVDFab is launched the Agent is out of the picture.

cabinetmaker

Postby cabinetmaker » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:15 pm

AVAgent must have some other influence on the system because this behavior isn't limited to when AVAgent initiates DVDFab, and I'm sorry for being misleading in my description. I can start DVDFab manually and it will RIP a disc normally then the second I start AVAgent, it will slow down. I can then quit AVAgent and a few seconds later, DVDFab will resume its normal speed. In addition to slowing RIP speed, I can hear the BluRay/DVD recorder begin to make an unusual sound the moment AVAgent is started. The sound is almost like it's searching the disc and the servo is moving the head around frantically.

cabinetmaker

Postby cabinetmaker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:23 am

Well I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and the problem is still there. The annoying thing is that I was trying out the Netflix & Amazon drivers to see if I like it better than using my Roku or Apple TV, and now I can't use those plugins because AVAgent is just completely unusable while I'm trying to RIP movies, and since I have a minimum of 800 to do, it won't be soon till my RIPing chores are done. Do you think a new DVD drive would help? I know you said AVAgent can't be the culprit, but the problem is repeatable 100% of the time.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:41 pm

This is something I need to see for myself to understand what it might be doing. There is absolutely zero code in the AV Agent that does anything to the drives. But you are seeing interaction that cannot be explained. I'll look at this when I look at your HTML issue. If the AV Agent is not running on the MLServer PC you'll have to install Team View on the PC doing the ripping too.

cabinetmaker

Postby cabinetmaker » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:10 pm

Hey Dave. Just wanted to let you know that I went ahead and purchased another DVD drive for the heck of it. I thought it takes too long to mount a drive after I put it into the drive so I was just curious if a new one would be any better (it doesn't seem to be), but I just wanted to let you know that the behavior is exactly the same with the new drive as It was with my previous. The second I start up AVAgent, the drive starts making a lot of noise like the laser head is moving frantically around and the rip speed slows down. At least my drive is eliminated from being the problem.

Return to “MLServer 4 Applets”