Play Archived Movies

Topics for MLServer Applets
sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Play Archived Movies

Postby sonypoolplr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:17 am

I am starting down the road to getting my movies playing from the hard drive, and I archived my first movie, I downloaded the VLC player and the driver, and installed both. I have the player setup on the pc, but I am not sure how to get the movie to play oon the selected pc. I changed one of the Zone selections to show this new location, and I tried to play the movie from the ipad app after selecting the pc zone and movie, but nothing happened. I know that I am missing something else, but I don't know where to start looking, as I have always played my movies from the changers, so I don't even know if I have the movie setup in the content manager correctly.

It is setup as the AVFamily, and the movie location is \\MAINLOBBY\DVD_Movies\The Descent_ Part 2\DESCENT_2\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO, but there has to be more to it.

Thanks as always

sonypoolplr

Re: Play Archived Movies

Postby sonypoolplr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:38 am

OK, I found where I have to change the Play location in Netflix, and in the Movies tools section of the iPad app, and I got both to play, but I had no control over the movie from the app, so I am assuming that the {{movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}} variable didn't get set right. I don't even know where that variable gets set at.

I also though that the Zone/Sources section of the web app was where we would get the play location set? If this is so, how do I change the command to get it work. I think telling my family to have to into the tools section and set the play location would be too much for them. :D

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:40 pm

I looked at the web app in the designer and I see the movie's play location as: {{movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}}} - {{movies_activezone_{{clientname}}}}, and the Next button does the DVDLobby|NextPlayer command. Is there a way to incorporate the active player and active zone into the zone/source buttons on the app? I am thinking that this will make it easier for my family when playing a movie. Or this already being taken care of by another command?

Thank you

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:00 pm

On the Movie scene there is a Settings button. Clicking on that button opens an overlay that lets you select the play location.

The Zones / Sources buttons on the footer can be used for this purpose too. Zones and Sources are controlled by CycleState variables. I've posted sample Zones and Sources Cyclestates in other posts. You could use these examples as starting points.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:16 am

I started looking at the Sources cyclestates and I see this command in the Movies section: SetVariable|movies_activeplayer_{{clientname}}~{{{{{{clientname}}_activezone_var}}_movie_id}}

I am assuming that this will set the player as whatever is defined in the movie play location in the content manager.

If I am going to play my archived movies via VLC should I have a player defined in DVDLobby for this player? Right now my archieved movies are setup using the AVFamily player. If I have to create the player in DVDLobby for the VLC are the various commands the same at the AVFamily? If not, are they listed somewhere?

Thank you

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:29 am

You will always use the AV Family play command. The remote control commands should work for the VLC player.

Return to “MLServer 4 Applets”