MusicLobby 4

Topics for MLServer Applets
simonmason
Expert
Expert

Re: MusicLobby 4 Public Preview

Postby simonmason » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:26 am

Is it that much more trouble to put a true cross fade in? This was the killer feature under the old Music Lobby when using J. River. It provides a professional sounding seamless playback of the music with no gaps. I don't know how others are interested in this?
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:58 am

For such a simple feature it requires a lot of code writing to accomplish. More code means more places things can go wrong. So that is why we left it out of the current release. We'll put this on the top of the feature request list and once everyone is happy with how this release is working then you'll see this appear in an update.

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks - for me - real shuffle and this are the two most main reasons to upgrade. The other item is the handling of album artist - did you look at the way J. River handles this? They assign multi artist albums to various artists but they have some sort of algorithm that finds the name of the artist no matter how you save them. Changing the compilation albums to list by artist name is really messy. I have tons of this compilation albums - one with 17 volumes - this creates 17 x # of tracks copies of the album. I am sure that a lot of thought has gone into this but how are they locating the artist when I don't break the albums up into individual tracks by artist? Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Dave,

In line with what Simonmason stated above, I am also in pain regarding this album-artist thing. Most of my albums are compilations and instead of seeing 15 or so pages, I am seeing about 80 pages of albums – majority with only one song listed. As you had suggested in another post, changing the tags to put artist names in new tags is very painful and extremely time consuming. I tried it, but not working out for me. Just curious why was this model changed from MuL 3.75. Do you have any plans to look at this and address this in the near future?

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:31 pm

The odd thing is that the model has not changed from MUL3 to MUL4. Can I remote in and do a scan and watch what happens?

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Of course...I will send you the remote-in information as soon as I get home.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:52 pm

I have modified the importer rules to look for different folder names that might contain compilations. The new rules are as follows.

If the track lives in a folder containing the name "Multiple Artists" then Album Artist = "Multiple Artists"
If the track lives in a folder containing the name "Various Artists" then Album Artist = "Various Artists"
If the track lives in a folder containing the name "Soundtrack" then Album Artist = "Soundtrack"
If the track lives in a folder containing the name "Compilation" then Album Artist = "Compilation"

Otherwise the Album Artist embedded into the track will be used and if all else fails the parent folder of the folder that the track lives in will be used as the album artist.

This is MusicLobby version 4.0.4385.31057

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Perfect !!! Thanks for the prompt help on this. Compilations work well now.

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:23 pm

CinemarDave wrote:I have modified the importer rules to look for different folder names that might contain compilations. The new rules are as follows.

If the track lives in a folder containing the name "Multiple Artists" then Album Artist = "Multiple Artists"
If the track lives in a folder containing the name "Various Artists" then Album Artist = "Various Artists"
If the track lives in a folder containing the name "Soundtrack" then Album Artist = "Soundtrack"
If the track lives in a folder containing the name "Compilation" then Album Artist = "Compilation"

Otherwise the Album Artist embedded into the track will be used and if all else fails the parent folder of the folder that the track lives in will be used as the album artist.

This is MusicLobby version 4.0.4385.31057

Dave,

My current watched folder structure is: "MUL Music/Artist/Artist Album".

Do we now need to nest the Artist/Album folders inside folders with the above names to make these new rules apply?

For example,
Would I need to put the Albums with compilation Artists inside a folder named "Compilation" ...etc?
Please give an example of a basic watched folder structure using these new folder names.

Thanks,

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm

You WILL have to move some of your music files around.

If you had an old compilation album like

\\Server\Music\My Special Album\Song1 Artist1.mp3
\\Server\Music\My Special Album\Song2 Artist2.mp3
\\Server\Music\My Special Album\Song3 Artist3.mp3
\\Server\Music\My Special Album\Song4 Artist4.mp3
\\Server\Music\My Special Album\Song5 Artist5.mp3

Musiclobby way will create 5 albums because the artist was different for each of the five songs in that folder.

However if you now move that album into a folder called "Various Artists" like

\\Server\Music\Various Artists\My Special Album\Song1 Artist1.mp3
\\Server\Music\Various Artists\My Special Album\Song2 Artist2.mp3
\\Server\Music\Various Artists\My Special Album\Song3 Artist3.mp3
\\Server\Music\Various Artists\My Special Album\Song4 Artist4.mp3
\\Server\Music\Various Artists\My Special Album\Song5 Artist5.mp3

Then MusicLobby will only create one album containing 5 songs. The album name is "My Special Album" and the album artist is set to "Various Artists". Each of the individual tracks will have their own track artists assigned. The same rules apply for the other special folder names.

sonypoolplr

Postby sonypoolplr » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:16 am

So if we install the new version, then do a scan of the folder, will it change the existing music to the new structure? If so, and we don't like it, and we move the music around, will the next scan remove everything and then resort it? Or do we have to delete the old database and start over?

Thanks.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:12 am

So if we install the new version, then do a scan of the folder, will it change the existing music to the new structure?

Yes

If so, and we don't like it, and we move the music around, will the next scan remove everything and then resort it?

Yes

Or do we have to delete the old database and start over?

No, you won't have to start over. At the end of an import it will automatically perform a "Remove Dead Tracks" pass flushing out anything that doesn't belong in the database.

greyt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby greyt » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Dave,

I am trying to get my head around the Compilation Options. Ideally I would like to see :-

Compilation Albums listed as a single album in Music Lobby under "Various Artists". (working Fine)
When an album is being played or an individual track played the actual artist details should be displayed. Otherwise lyrics /artist art / search track by artist etc. will fail

I had a play with importing some albums using the Various Artists folder and everythng looks fine but when playing a track it will show "Various Artists" for the track.

I went into Content Manager and edited the tracks manually and changed the Artist field manually but this hasnt made any difference.

Have I understood correctly how this is all meant to hang together?

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Agreed, we need track artist on the now-playing as this will have the best data. I'll make the changes and post an update.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Dave,

At this point, I still only test in ML4 world. I still need to use ML3. The watched folders and folder structures for ML3 and ML4 MusicLobby are the same. If I change the physical folder structure for ML4 MusicLobby for testing, how do I keep the original ML3 folder structure? Do I need to make separate physical folder structures for ML3 and ML4, ie have two libraries with identical music, just different folder structures, ect.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

Return to “MLServer 4 Applets”