MusicLobby 4

Topics for MLServer Applets
ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: MusicLobby 4 Public Preview

Postby ronsatter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:50 pm

CinemarDave wrote:The MusicLobby app got an update today. The updates addressed watch events for importing and deleting tracks and playlists. Everyone testing MusicLobby 4 should upgrade to this version.

Dave,

Still not getting DMR data for any albums. Should I re-scan my library with this new version?

Also, should we see the artis/album lookup in the events log of MusicLobby? If so, when does this happen?

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:54 pm

That still will not happen automatically. If you want to do it manually for a few selected albums that need refreshing go into Content Manager. Edit the album and click on the search button next to the title. If you do that look at the album tracks after the refresh. If track names are different you might have to make some edits there.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:08 pm

CinemarDave wrote:That still will not happen automatically. If you want to do it manually for a few selected albums that need refreshing go into Content Manager. Edit the album and click on the search button next to the title. If you do that look at the album tracks after the refresh. If track names are different you might have to make some edits there.

You are right about the editing. I did experiement with the lookup search function in the Content Manager. It brings up a list of possible matches. When you select the match for your artist/album, it loads all the DMR data ... and changes several of the custom tag entries, including Genre, Rating, and Album Art.

This is an album BEFORE DMR lookup: (Don't know why the Star Rating is -1, should be 5)
Missing Ref ID.jpg

This is the album AFTER DMR lookup:
Refreshed Ref ID.jpg

I like seeing the hilighted tracks which are on the DMR list, but not in the library track list.
Missing Tracks DMR.jpg

Unfortunately, unless you manually delete the missing tracks before you save changes, those ghost tracks will appear in the track list on the album details scene. Of course they won't play, because they are not really in the library.

That's not good. That means a lot of manual cleanup for any album which contains tracks and meta data different from the DMR import.

Is there any way that we can have an option to keep the DMR from overwriting existing meta data and album art?

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Remember you are dealing with a "work in progress". The ghost tracks will not be there in the final release. They are there now to let users "see" the differences.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:04 pm

CinemarDave wrote:Remember you are dealing with a "work in progress". The ghost tracks will not be there in the final release. They are there now to let users "see" the differences.

OK ... That's cool, but I'm still confused about the DMR lookup.

1. Is it supposed to be working correctly now, ie, importing Artist Bio, Fan Art, Album Credits & Review, Moods and Styles categories?

2. Why are the album ref IDs all missing in my imported database? Is there an online server connection that is failing to get these IDs?

3. How can I fix this without manual lookups of every album?

Ron

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 am

I'm still confused about the DMR lookup.

1. Is it supposed to be working correctly now, ie, importing Artist Bio, Fan Art, Album Credits & Review, Moods and Styles categories?

2. Why are the album ref IDs all missing in my imported database? Is there an online server connection that is failing to get these IDs?

3. How can I fix this without manual lookups of every album?

Dave,

I have started manually doing the album lookups. I got about two dozen done in an hour. At this rate, I will be drawing social security (whatever is left of it) before I finish my music collection. :shock:

How can I fix this?

Ron

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:01 pm

1) Continue to do it manually

2) Wait until I get the automated refresh working

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:17 pm

I have a few questions about how MusicLobby and some scenes (I am using library 28 - Gallery) work:

1. From the main MuL scene "Music_Conslole_Thumbs", when browsing through albums using next page arrow button, let's say I am on page 8 and I select an album to see the details. Then, when I click the "back scene" button, it takes me to the very first page again instead of back to page 8. Why? Is this an error, or is it by design?
2. From the main MuL scene "Music_Conslole_Thumbs", I chose an album (9 tracks) to play. Then around the middle (say when the track #4 is playing), I choose a different album, and select "Play Album", I would assume that the new album should start playing immediately. Instead, it appends the new album immediately after the song that is playing. Is this by design? If so, why what is the difference between "Play Album" and "Add Album" as it seems they act the same way.
3. I am unable to understand how MuL uses the tags for sorting the music - specially for the Movie Soundtracks. I have several albums which have songs by different artists in the same album - as in a soundtrack. All these are now listed in separate albums. So I see 8 albums where it should be one album with 8 tracks. The tag "album artist" for these is populated as "soundtrack". Do I need to change the ID tags?

Thanks in advance.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:51 am

>>>> 1. From the main MuL scene "Music_Conslole_Thumbs", when browsing through albums using next page arrow button, let's say I am on page 8 and I select an album to see the details. Then, when I click the "back scene" button, it takes me to the very first page again instead of back to page 8. Why? Is this an error, or is it by design?

Not by design. Look at the start up macro on the Music_Console_Thumbs page. I suspect an InitBrowser command is in there and getting called every time the page loads. If there is a ~RESET as part of the browser command delete the ~RESET. If there is no rest remote the Initbrowser command. You are returning back to the first page because something is causing the reset of the server variables.

2. From the main MuL scene "Music_Conslole_Thumbs", I chose an album (9 tracks) to play. Then around the middle (say when the track #4 is playing), I choose a different album, and select "Play Album", I would assume that the new album should start playing immediately. Instead, it appends the new album immediately after the song that is playing. Is this by design? If so, why what is the difference between "Play Album" and "Add Album" as it seems they act the same way.

By design. When you press "Play Album" it will insert the album tracks directly after the current song that is playing allowing the current song to finish before the new album starts. Pressing "Add Album" appends the album tracks to the end of the current playlist. If you would prefer Play Album to flush the current playlist you could modify the command to do a Clear Playlist and then the Add.

>>> 3. I am unable to understand how MuL uses the tags for sorting the music - specially for the Movie Soundtracks. I have several albums which have songs by different artists in the same album - as in a soundtrack. All these are now listed in separate albums. So I see 8 albums where it should be one album with 8 tracks. The tag "album artist" for these is populated as "soundtrack". Do I need to change the ID tags?

Soundtracks and compilations are tricky. If you only want to see one album displayed then you need to create the album and assign it a primary artist of "Various Artists" or ""Soundtrack" or something like that. Then you can add all the tracks to that album. Each of the tracks can have their own individual track artist assigned. When MUL imports the tracks it looks at the artist for that track and uses that as the album artist. If each of the songs in the compilation have different artists assigned to them then you will end up with multiple albums just like you see. Use the Content Manager to make your edits.

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the response. One more question below...

CinemarDave wrote:1. From the main MuL scene "Music_Conslole_Thumbs", when browsing through albums using next page arrow button, let's say I am on page 8 and I select an album to see the details. Then, when I click the "back scene" button, it takes me to the very first page again instead of back to page 8. Why? Is this an error, or is it by design?

Not by design. Look at the start up macro on the Music_Console_Thumbs page. I suspect an InitBrowser command is in there and getting called every time the page loads. If there is a ~RESET as part of the browser command delete the ~RESET. If there is no rest remote the Initbrowser command. You are returning back to the first page because something is causing the reset of the server variables.

The scene startup command in this scene was "MusicLobby|InitBrowser~1~18~9~250~250~130~130~RESET". I deleted the ~RESET, and this is fine now.

CinemarDave wrote:3. I am unable to understand how MuL uses the tags for sorting the music - specially for the Movie Soundtracks. I have several albums which have songs by different artists in the same album - as in a soundtrack. All these are now listed in separate albums. So I see 8 albums where it should be one album with 8 tracks. The tag "album artist" for these is populated as "soundtrack". Do I need to change the ID tags?

Soundtracks and compilations are tricky. If you only want to see one album displayed then you need to create the album and assign it a primary artist of "Various Artists" or ""Soundtrack" or something like that. Then you can add all the tracks to that album. Each of the tracks can have their own individual track artist assigned. When MUL imports the tracks it looks at the artist for that track and uses that as the album artist. If each of the songs in the compilation have different artists assigned to them then you will end up with multiple albums just like you see. Use the Content Manager to make your edits.

OK, however this causes another problem. By using "track artist" tag, how do I search for these artists? Seems like there is no command in MusicLobby (similar to SearchArtists) that will let me search for the track artist. Can this be added?

Thanks again

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Correct there is no way for search for Track artists today. Wasn't sure if we needed to add that layer of complexity. I'll put it on the list of additions.

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:10 pm

I look forward to the addition. But I am curious…then what’s the difference between “Artist” and “Album Artist”. I thought Album Artist was the tag that was previously used (MuL3.75) for this purpose, while Artist was used as “track artist”. I had painstakingly modified all my tags to fit that model. Any reason this was changed?

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Dave,

I'm going to ask the evil/dumb question ... this is all stored in a relational database now right? Shouldn't be that hard to change the query to support a where clause... Assuming the answer is yes, a small suggestion, don't use "or" in your where clause but rather "union" the results of the two queries.

So if you want album artist, "...where album_artist like '%???%'..." or if you want album and track, "... where album_artist like '%???%' or track_artist like '%???%'" .... but, if you are agreeable to my suggestion ... " select ... from ... where album_artist like '%???%'... union ... select ... from ... where track_artist like '%???%'"

Disclaimer: I've never used MS SQL ... only IBM's DB2 (and a little MySQL / Oracle) ...

- Jeff

simonmason
Expert
Expert

Postby simonmason » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:29 pm

Is cross fade in this version?
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:35 pm

There is a 3 second fade in and a 5 second fade out enabled on all music channels but the next song does not start playing until the previous one is finished.

Return to “MLServer 4 Applets”