Lost my primary drive for the last time

Topics related to MLServer 4
DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Lost my primary drive for the last time

Postby DaveB » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Well came home from a business trip to see the screen of death on my kitchen touch panel. Lost the primary drive with the OS and all the drivers. The only good thing is that all of Cinemar and my music is on a secondary drive. So I am off to buy an SSD drive and then of to reloading the OS and drivers.

One thing we know about computers- they will all fail, we just do not know when.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

sonypoolplr
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Lost my primary drive for the last time

Postby sonypoolplr » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:57 am

Wow that is terrible. If anyone ever comes up with a way to monitor hard drives and somehow display their health, that person would make millions.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:51 am

OK - To update this; It appears now like the control computer was hacked. The primary drive was killed and the secondary drive where Cinemar was has been apparently reformatted, with some files recoverable. I then went to my offsite nightly backup of Cinemar, only to discover a directory that is empty. I will need to deal with that after I rebuild. I seem to recall others having that same issue. So it appears that Cinemar will be a 100% fresh load, Luckily I have my interfaces on a USB stick for just such emergencies. As for the source of the hack - I can only assume that they came in through one of the ports I had opened for remote access to the control system. I only had three ports open to the outside, That will not be implemented again; I will stick with just remoting into my Leviton or just using VPN as it is much more secure and provides what I need for remote control.

Just for the record - Reloading Windows 10 is a huge PIA. It was an upgrade from Win 7. Due to licensing, I had to load win 7 and authenticate it, then load win 10. Total time - about 7 hours yesterday. Moral of that story; If you are on Win 10 from an upgrade, backup the installation of the OS and keep it safe.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Ok Dave - Have at it. SQL installed and the instance is running, but for some reason I can not get connected. I will PM you with the keys to the castle.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:45 pm

That's why I'm not thrilled of leaving an open port.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:18 pm

It would be ok if you could implement an interface on a second machine outside of the firewall. Anything less than that adds risk.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:32 pm

OK - I am back up and limping along thanks to Daves' assistance. Amazing that on literally every reload since V4, I still need to get Dave involved. Don't get me wrong as I appreciate the assistance, but I should not need assistance in getting SQL going and MLS happy. That, in my opinion, is a rather serious limitation of a DIY product. OK, off my soapbox as I have lots to do to get back where I was.

A few points;
1. I did loose my database. I am sure that all settings were correct as everything backed up to cloud storage with the exception of the database. Total rebuild time with all new licensing that made Dave very happy.
2. What really sucks is I lost my highly custom macros that control my sources and zones for Audio. They were an SOB to build the first time. This time, I am cutting back on all of the "Radios" available. We simply never use all that capability. I am going to start with one "Radio" for each audio stream driver and then go from there. I can always add more.
3. I think I figured out that the hack came in through Foscam and not Cinemar. I looked back at the router and firewall logs.

Anyway, I will keep updating this thread.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:15 pm

Glad you are back up, sucks about losing the db. Db backups are only solid if they can be restored. That's the only thing I haven't figured out how to do yet. I would like to copy the environment to a vm (provided it doesn't violate any license agreement) and do test restores every once in a while.
I was able to also rebuild this weekend from my win7 pro license and did an upgrade to 10. Made a Windows backup and image right away, then proceeded to install everything. Went fairly smooth minus a few permissions disagreements Microsoft slipped in Windows 10.
I'm left with a driver issue I'm waiting to get fixed (I'm sure Dave is trying to find that Dev branch as I type this), but fairly straight forward.
my 2 cents : you have to fix the Windows shares for "user" and "everyone" is not really everyone until you go into network and sharing and tell Windows not to use a password.
I do backups every night, with all the content and html, etc. then I push that up to a network "local cloud" storage using the settings there in Cinemar. Also, I kept the local copy as well, but just manually clean them out. I would like to see a "keep x days of local copies option at some point.
I am making a system image again and backup now that I'm running and "clean" and I'll likely do an acronis image as well.
I keep Cinemar and all my setup files and other critical backups also in cloud storage just in case. I manually check on them, but at some point I'll run some scripts to monitor.
Restoring was far easier in v4 than it was before with all those mdb files and stuff everywhere.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi All;
My rebuild is starting to resume normalcy. I have my streaming media working but still need to work through all the scripts to get my Russound happy. I have HAI limping along with security working, but climate not happy. Lighting is also not happy, so this is still a work in process. Cameras are not yet back on line. On a brighter note, I have redundant backups happening now. MLS backup to off site seems to be working. I also am backing up the entire directory once per week with an exterior program. I still have not connected the computer to any devices other then network devices, so the control part of the testing is next. After all of that, I will re-attach my main in wall screen. For now, my control is via iPad or iPhone. Remote connectivity is now working. I placed everything behind a second firewall.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:09 pm

Dave - I have a issue with getting my CAV66 back online with MLS

I can communicate with the Russound without any issues outside for MLS. I have the com port set correctly and just can not get it connected. I changed ports to COM2 just as a test with no different results. I was working great previously. See the screenshot below. The unit will not populate in the driver after I set it up in family manager. I think that is the root of the issue but can not figure out the fix.

Russound.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

randyf

Postby randyf » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:19 pm

Dave - I'm not sure if its needed with just one CAV unit (I have two) but try putting a value of 1 in the Network Address box. In addition to the COM port, I have a value there in my setup.

Randy

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks Randy. I forgot to follow up on this post. I remembered that after the post. All is back up and running.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Return to “MLServer 4”