Device ID's

Topics related to MLServer 4
Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Device ID's

Postby Art Dustman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:36 pm

I still have cases where out of Cinemar's control (and mine) device ID's change breaking rules, HTML, etc. It's quite a pain to find them all. Other than coming up with a search and replace utility, is there any thought to a master device to alias table that can be made?

I know I will always have a kitchen table... so why couldn't I map "kitchen table light" with it's own static ID to a device and just always reference the static device in rules and web pages? This way if a device ID changes (vera "update", Elk module change out, new stats, etc) it won't matter what I used in my scenes and variables. Kinda like the MVC model - the UI shouldn't care about the underlying data. If a change happens, there will be an orphaned static device that just needs remapping and all scenes work like they are supposed to.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Device ID's

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:27 pm

The major issue is that everything associated with event is tied to server variables and not the objects that are setting those variables. I understand the want and need but it requires some major restructuring in the Server. This will take time but makes sense.

Art Dustman
Expert
Expert

Postby Art Dustman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:26 pm

For now, I suppose I could do: lighting|{{kitchen_light}}~on

Or is that going to cause headaches somewhere?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:27 pm

It will only cause an issue if you have duplicate device aliases. Device IDs must be unique but not aliases. In the case of a duplicate alias the first one found is always used.

Return to “MLServer 4”