I have a few more issues to solve to leave HS...

Topics related to MLServer 4
rileydog
Expert
Expert

I have a few more issues to solve to leave HS...

Postby rileydog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:49 am

I am so close, but I don't know the best way to replace the following HS functions:

1) HS shows the last status change for all my sensors/security/lighting objects. I could probably write a bunch of automated rules to populate new variables to do this, but this is a lot of work and can change often (trying to keep them aligned with new/changed sensors). Doesn't it make sense to have a "_lastdatetime" variable for each security and light with a date stamp on last activity? For example, my driveway is security_zone_1_ -- I would like to know the last time the zone was tripped so when I am away from the house, I can see when someone stopped by... I also used this feature for lighting but that brings me to issue #2

2) I like to know how many lights are on in the house and if there is motion in the house. This is basically a roll-up device that is tripped when there is any device tripped associated with that device. In HS, I used Blades radar app to create a virtual variable that associated the real elements to the virtual. For example, I create a virtual sensor called house motion and associate all the motion sensors from my Elk to that virtual sensor. When any motion sensor in the house trips, the virtual sensor also trips (and also logs the last date and time as a variable). I was able to do this with lights too - and, with lights I would get a virtual count of all those that were on. I don't think I can do this in ML easily with 100 Zwave lights (I would need 200 automation rules?) I didn't associate all my lights to that virtual device in HS because I have some Zwave devices that are always on (water pump, etc.). I would only map the lights that should be off when I leave the house to the virtual variable and monitor that when I leave. And, window sensors are very helpful to monitor heating/air conditioning - are there any windows open? If yes, bark if the air conditioning is on... With the powerful AV variables, I would love to see this extended to other groups. I could map all the AV devices connected to my matrix switch and have a variable to show how many are on...

3) Dave, I emailed you this directly but I used UltraMon to monitor network devices to see if they are on/off. This is very useful for smart TV's, where they stop their network connection when the TV is off. Thus, if I see it on the network, I can conclude the TV is on and react accordingly (for example, someone in the house manually turned the TV on - then, my ML scene would know that and when I leave the house ML can turn it off). All the other features on UltraMon are less important, but it also allows me to see if my internet connection is down and if other devices are OK... And, it also allowed me to see uptime for certain devices (how long has a machine been online? etc.) I have Panasonic and LG TV's and there are not any ML plugins to tell me if they are on...

4) I think the logger feature will do this but I thought I would mention it because I haven't dug into it - I also used HS to monitor how long a device was on during a period of time - this also worked with the virtual devices I describe in #2 - so, for example, how long was the house occupied? How long was a light on? HS had some graphing functions around this that was cool - this is probably more "cool" than "nice to have", but I thought I would mention it... When I am away, I can see how long something happened...

Any insight is appreciated - thanks!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I have a few more issues to solve to leave HS...

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:23 am

Fairly complicated list of items to consider. Some of this can be done today but the implementation would be really complicated. I need to spend some time digesting this as I have ideas and it involves features we have in development but not released yet. I am also looking at the Ultramon info you sent me.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Re: I have a few more issues to solve to leave HS...

Postby rileydog » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:34 pm

I figured it wouldn't be easy... Thanks.

Return to “MLServer 4”