Managing the MLServer Environment

Topics related to MLServer 4
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Managing the MLServer Environment

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:30 am

We're doing a little crowd sourcing with this post. Consider this. Suppose there was a version of Content Manager that was web based. It would run as a web app just like our iPad and Android apps. In theory it might look something like the attached images. The questions are.

1) Besides doing everything that Content Manager does today what other "User Maintenance" tasks would you need it to be able to do?

2) What kinds of things that you have to get into MLServer to do today would you want to do in this app?

Don't hold back. What would the ideal tool look like? Your comments will help shape a future product.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Re: Managing the MLServer Environment

Postby rileydog » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:43 pm

I would love to see the ability to maintain a directory structure for movies that are available to the user experience. For example, the ability to create a directory called 007 and be able to put all the 007 movies into that folder. Ideally, I could attach fan art to that directory so it shows instead of a boring folder icon. With 1300 movies and growing, just looking by letter is getting increasingly difficult. Also, it would be really neat to have smart directories (like iTunes) - setup a smart directory based on movie attributes and have them automatically update. For example, classic movies (if movie < 1980), Favorites (if rating = 5), New Movies (if added within last 90 days), etc... I know there are the filters, but the filters are several clicks to make work and I find them not natural to use. With this app, maybe maintaining more complex directory structures for movies can happen?

Looks very nice!

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:45 am

I spend most of my time in MLServer writing macros and looking at variables.

But adding an RSS manager would be cool. RSS is hard to manage even from the app page because you can't see the results unless you dig around in the variables.

Another thing I do manually is add dynamic content from the internet.

For example, http://radiationnetwork.com/
This picture.

Or this alertmap
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php#

I also like to track my internet speed.
http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/index2.php#

Which at the moment is:

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:44 pm

These are the exact type of suggestions we're look for. Keep 'em coming.

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm

One other pain I find in content manager is a default directory where movies are at... When I scan for new media it defaults to a directory on my local machine and not my NAS. Would be nice to have a few defaults too - I have a directory on my NAS where movies are and one for TV shows.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Content Manager uses the first storage folder as defined in DVDLobby. This must be pointing to your local drive. Set the first folder in that tab to be your primary storage location for movies and that should fix that issue. You will soon have an option to scroll through all the storage locations you have defined.

beerguy

Postby beerguy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Dave -
This request isn't specific to a web-based management system, but it would be great to have a housecleaning function for movies in the db. It would be helpful to run a script that checks the items in ML with what is actually on the hard drive and give the option to find it or delete it if it the script can't find it. I'm sure I have some orphan movies in there but can't see an existing way to find them easily. Same with duplicates. A report generator that runs on a schedule and emails a report of what it finds would also be great.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:11 pm

What about some additional movie data from popular alternative sources, such as Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB ratings, history of weekend box office results, or possible selected professional and non-prfessional reviews.....

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Oronomus wrote:What about some additional movie data from popular alternative sources, such as Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB ratings, history of weekend box office results, or possible selected professional and non-prfessional reviews.....

I like this.
Like I said, I'm into obscure movies :)

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Dave-

I just saw this post

1. Bring Photo Lobby up to the current platform and allow full manipulation of photos from both local on on line sources
2. Somehow, allow adjustment of the higher level audio routing to a device. IE -If you have four possible inputs on a matrix switch, allow adjustment of sources (Music, Pandora, Tuned-In, ect.) to those inputs and have the ability to display current configuration
3. Allow the ability to show real time client connection status along with settings and ability to restrict connections
4. Add the ability to build lighting or control scenes in real time from the TP. This includes not only grouping, but timers.
5.Bring the irrigation module up to the current platform and add that to this module

That is all for now...
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Ok,so take #5 off of the list. You just released the update after I posted the message above.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “MLServer 4”