MLServer New Features

Topics related to MLServer 4
EUROTECH

Re: MLServer New Features

Postby EUROTECH » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm sure Dave is working omit and most likely have a fix for a number of us having issues. I do have the version of MLServer prior to this last release if you want me to send it to you in the meantime. I had to completely uninstall everything related to Cinemar, install the previous version, perform system restore to prior the update, then restore MLServer from a backup from the day before.

Eurotech

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:06 pm

That would be awesome. I will PM you my email address. Thanks

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Dave, I received the file from Eurotech. I installed teh old MLServer and everything was still not working. I restored the backup, moved out all DLLs and reinstalled all plugins and it still was not working. I then launched Safari on my windows PC (never use it) and I got it to work with the old version. So then I started thinking it was a firewall. I turned off windows firewall, uninstalled Avast on both the mac and my PC even though the iphones also weren't working and even with the previous version of MLServer.

Then I accessed the MLServer by the PC name instead of IP address and it worked. Went back to IP address and it didn't work. Went to iphone and launched from safari instead of the saved icon on my home screen and it worked. Resaved the as a default program on iPhone so I could launch from home screen and it didn't work. Re-did the save but gave it a different name and now it worked from home screen.

So, after all that I looked up how the iphone treats browser storage for save web apps to homescreen and it give them a namespace by app name. So then it hit me. I went to PC and cleared browser cache in Safari and it worked (IP or PC Name). Cleared history on iPhone and it worked by IP address again even with old app name for saving to home screen.

So, I then went and re-installed the newest version of MLServer. I then went back to those same browsers and iPhones. nothing worked. Tried clearing cache, nothing worked. I re=installed old version of MLServe and nothing worked. Cleared browser cache on Safari on iMac and iPhone and now they both work.

It would seem some change in the latest MLServer instance it messing up the browser somehow. I get very odd behavior with some variables not getting resolved and certainly not updating. I do save things to browser storage so maybe something coming back is corrupted. Anyway, I'm back up now on old version (prior to 8/7) and it is all working. Did you make any changes to the web server with this newest release?

Just thought I would provide some color on how I got this back working. I'm glad because whole house was down.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am

Later today I will put out a version of the server that turns the web caching back off. The way it was prior to 8/7. I still cannot see any issues here but I'm going to revert back until I get to test this on more than the 3 servers here.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm

MLServer Version 4.0.4972.18319 released 08/12/2013

Turns off the Cache-Control web caching feature that caused a lot of people using the web apps some heart ache in the 8/7 release.

dr.frazier

Postby dr.frazier » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Great. I too couldnt figure out what had happened.

To help w debugging --it only seemed to affect those pages with nested variables that required page refreshes to update.

Will try new version later today.

Randy

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Dave, tried the 8/12 build you just posted and it still messes up all the screens. I would say it is nested variables, but I think it is more than that because some nested variables work and some do not. The example I posted for my 2 variables earlier in this thread are both on the same page, but I just ajax calls to only request pieces of the overall screen. It seems the inner most nested screen that gets loaded last has the variables resolved and the outer ones are missing. Now, that doesn't make a lot of sense because on almost all of my screens those same variables are also requested in the getVar and if they change refresh on the screen automatically without refreshing the page.

Is it possible, that what is happening is those variables are getting resolved as teh HTML comes out of the webserver and it is initially painted, but that the getVar command is getting corrupted. It is not consistent so this won't be that easy to figure out on my side.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:01 pm

I cannot discount that you are still seeing this but it must be an artifact of the browser still retaining things in its cache. Are you using an iPad or Android tablet? Every web response coming from the server now has a "Cache-Control", "no-cache" item in the header. Open a page in Chrome and look at the developer tools Network tab. If you look at the properties of any of the objects you should see the no-cache entry on the header response. How do this pages run on Chrome on the PC?

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 pm

I'll try that when i get back this week. I'm not sure how this would be affected by inserting sections of HTML using AJAX since it doesn't do full page refresh, but I"ll look and see if I can see if the data is not coming back for some reason.

I have iPad that I could only get back by copying the HTML files to a new directory so it had a new URL and then it started working after I put back pre 8/7 MLServer.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:06 pm

It is certainly a caching issue. Both the iPad and Android tablets give the option of clearing the stored data in the cache. That is all you have to do. My old Android tablet was exhibiting the problem and when I cleared the cache in the Chrome browser the issue went away.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:22 pm

you mean go in to safari setting and say clear history and clear cookies and data. I have done that on iPad and it does not work still. Something is hosed. 1 of my iPads works fine, the other only works if I change the URL by relocating the files.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Yes and if that does not work then set the date on that problem iPad a year in the future. Then open the pages. All the caches should be expired and it should flush them.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Status on this. Now that I had some time to debug here is what I know.

I never could get the 1 iPad that was hosed to work like any of the other iPads regardless of what I tried (clear history, data, cache, set date in future ...), so I just ended up changing the directory name the HTML files were located in and redoing the shortcuts.

I re-installed the 8/12 version and did some debugging on the client side. As it turned out the 8/12 version does work (does not cache all the pages and make it not useable), but it also has changed behavior from the 8/7 version. I changed my pages to work around the changed behavior a bit.

In the old version, it seemed that if you had a variable (mine was {{{{clienname}}_currentzone}}) in the .js file unquoted so not

'{{{{clientname}}_currentzone}}' or "{{{{clientname}}_currentzone}}" just {{{{clientname}}_currentzone}}, it would resolve the variable in the JS at initialization when the JS file was sent to the browser which it only does once. The new version of the program actually just put quotes around it in the .js. I could see this on the browser side. So basically at startup my screens did not come up with a few variables they needed to pop in to their previous zone. I fixed this by simply storing the data on the localstorage or putting a hidden field in teh HTML page and reading it out.

Anyway, I am back running on the 8/12 version and everything seems fine after my changes and creating a new HTML directory.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:40 pm

I never expected anyone to embed server variables in the .js files so in an attempt to eek out any performance boost I could get I stopped trying to look for and substitute server variables in .js and .css files. The server I just release restores the substituting.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Ok, well I was able to work around it myself pretty easily. It was probably a bad idea on my part anyway. It may be good that at least people will know what is different and you can keep it as a performance enhancement. Up to you obviously. Maybe you can make it an option on the network screen :-) Caching too :-)

Return to “MLServer 4”