Postby shakey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:21 pm

Krumpy,

Good thought, I like that idea. :D

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: External Control of MLServer 4

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Today's MLServer update will now broadcast variable updates to all connected telnet clients. The feedback response is
VAR:<<somevariablename>>=<<itscurrentvalue>>

MLServer also ads a new command called TelnetCMD where you can send a command back to the telnet client. MLServer syntax is TelnetCmd|<<anything you need to send to the client>>

The telnet client will see

CMD:<<anything you need to send to the client>>

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Dave,

You rock I didn't read your post till a second ago, but opened Real Term a few minutes ago while pPndora was streaming and saw variables flowing. Thanks.

Thanks for the command option also.

Getting ready to work on the Remote Browse scene.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:59 pm

Dave,

Thanks for your help on the Remotebrowse, got it working. I ended making command macros and calling those thru telnet as it was easier. Plus it makes it easier to make a macro for doing stuff like-

Macro|DVDLobby|RemoteBrowse~Left!DVDLobby|GetMovie~{{Movies_rc_id{{movies_rc_activeicon_{{Clientname}}}}_{{clientname}}}}

Which updates the selection update as the cursor moves.

Now to work on some conditionals so it does the correct command on the scene as they change.

Is it possible to be able to turn the variables sent out over telnet on and off by class or is it a all or none thing? It's not a problem for the processor but they move so fast is hard for me to see what's going on while debugging/ logging.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am

It's like a flood gate. It is either open or closed. And right now it is always open with no way to close it.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks Dave,

Thats what I figured. I can disable drivers and apps when trying to Log/Debug so only the ones I want to see show. That way I can keep up with what is happening, then resume normal operation one I get it working.

Again thanks for all your help.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Sun May 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Dave,
Not sure if anything with the updates changed the telnet server but if I send a command like "Lighting|2~On" it crashes the server. Any ideas. AV commands seem to work its wierd.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Sun May 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Here is screen shot RTiPanel with an XP processor natively controlling the Pandora app on MLS4 with full feedback. The GUI is not very good, lets call it a proof of concept. I also have control of lighting and I'm working on DVDLobby.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 28, 2012 10:59 am

This is an excellent example of the tight integration that can be achieved between MLS and RTi. Really cool. Excellent work.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Mon May 28, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks Dave.

Here's a proof of concept for DVDlobby. Not done yet but can browse thumbs, go to a page that shows the selected movie info, fan art etc then play and control the movie. Again the GUI is just proof of concept.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Here are a few more screen shots. Sorry just want to show my work of some.

jeffdoo
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby jeffdoo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Dave,

I was previously using the web interface and "curl" to set variables, which is crashing MLS regularly but that's a different story.

I figured I would try using the "telnet" method to set the variables, it's just a simple case of connect -> set (~120 variables) -> disconnect. But, how do I disconnect using a telnet client? There doesn't appear to be a command to "exit" or "quit".

Basically I'm using Putty's plink: "\putty\plink -telnet localhost < set_variables.txt"

Thanks!

- Jeff

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 am

The Telnet interface is meant to provide a robust two-way interface between an external controller and MLServer. The Telnet connection is meant to be permanent. Since the external device is the one that starts the connection it is also the device that needs to drop the connection. So if all you have to do it push a bunch of server variables to MLServer all you'll need to do is close the session after you have sent the variables.

I'm interested in knowing more about what you are trying to do? What external device is creating these variables? Would you be better results with a dedicated device driver for this?

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:36 am

Could you please code this so that we can either define which ip address (when there are multiple local ipaddresses) it binds the telnet port to or so that it only binds to the default ip address of the machine. I have two applications that need to listen on port 23 and it appears that MLS will bind itself to port 23 on all ipaddresses.

Krumpy
Developer
Developer

Postby Krumpy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Added a second network adapter and it still attempts to bind to port 23 on all interfaces.

Thought that maybe I could start the second application first (which only binds to port 23 on the interface I tell it) and still get "Error at START SERVER at line # 8499 - Only one uage of each socket address is normally permitted" once MLSERVER is started.

Return to “MLServer 4”