ML Scenes Native on iPad or use Something like Splashtop

General discussions about the MainLobby web application running on Apple iPads.
MurrayW
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

ML Scenes Native on iPad or use Something like Splashtop

Postby MurrayW » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:29 pm

I have seen some posts from Mario about the very fast response of using splashtop remote on an iPad to remote into another computer running mainlobby. I have tried building a few iPhone interfaces and haven't gotten beyond the basics -- for me it is much more difficult than building scenes on a windows computer running mainlobby. Also I have purchased quite a few of the graphics library.

I understand that building iPad interfaces will be easier when MLServer 4 is released. Will it be as easy as using mainlobby on a windows computer? Will I be able to use graphics from the libraries that I have purchased?

I am trying to decide whether to spend my time building my interface on a windows computer then access it using slashtop remote or to wait until MLServer 4 is released and build the interfaces natively on the iPhone. Anyone have any recommendations or pros/cons of both methods?

thanks,
Murray

MurrayW

Re: ML Scenes Native on iPad or use Something like Splashtop

Postby MurrayW » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Mario, you have used Splashtop. Do you have any comments/opinions?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:56 pm

If you have a spare PC that Splashtop can remote control then this is your easiest solution since you do not have to know any html and you can do all your scene designing in native MainLobby.

MLServer 4 will introduce methods for converting MainLobby scenes to html pages. But for an iPad it will only get you 95% there. You will still have to have some familiarity with html to get everything running smoothly. Go with Splashtop if you do not what to get mired in html.

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:18 pm

CinemarDave wrote:If you have a spare PC that Splashtop can remote control then this is your easiest solution since you do not have to know any html and you can do all your scene designing in native MainLobby.

MLServer 4 will introduce methods for converting MainLobby scenes to html pages. But for an iPad it will only get you 95% there. You will still have to have some familiarity with html to get everything running smoothly. Go with Splashtop if you do not what to get mired in html.
5% HTML might not be too bad! Will I be able to use graphics from custom libraries that I have purchased?

For Splashtop, I believe I remember you posting that remoting in with Splashtop doesn't affect the user on the computer is that correct? Could I Splashtop into my HTPC that was playing a movie and not affect the movie playback and what was being displayed?

thanks,
Murray

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:09 am

MurrayW wrote:Mario, you have used Splashtop. Do you have any comments/opinions?
Mario, could I have several iPads using Splastop each getting their own ML scenes from my HTPC that is playing a movie without any interference? In otherwords, does Splashtop log on as a different user without affecting the currently logged on users?

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Murray,

I don't believe this is possible, but honestly I haven't really looked into it.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:06 pm

mcascio wrote:Murray,

I don't believe this is possible, but honestly I haven't really looked into it.
I guess I misread one of your posts. So is this a 1 dedicated computer to 1 iPad solution? If I had 3 iPads, I would need 3 dedicated computers? If so, i think I will wait for MLServer 4 and fight my way through the 5% HTML that I will need to customize.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Murray,

You'll still want to test this out since I haven't researched if you can login to different users. It may work with a server based OS or Windows MultiServer.

But even so, it depends upon how you plan to use your iPads. If you are using them as dedicated home automation interfaces 24/7 and have it powered via an outlet...then you may need a dedicated PC for each iPad. However, if you are in a small household and your iPads are running on battery power and you are using it to do other tasks besides automation, then Splashtop Remote is still a good option. As you go to other applications on your iPad you still would need to return to the MainLobby interface. The difference between a dedicated app and Splashtop Remote is one-click. It also depends on how you use MainLobby. If you use it as a full-time remote control, then you wouldn't want someone else on another iPad remoting into your session and taking it over. However, if it's just you and a significant other, then there's no need to have a separate PC per iPad, but rather per person would be a less costly strategy. Hopefully this makes a little sense.

My iPad is set to sleep after five minutes of inactivity to conserve battery life. So whether it's a true app or not, I would still need to reconnect.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:42 am

CinemarDave wrote:MLServer 4 will introduce methods for converting MainLobby scenes to html pages. But for an iPad it will only get you 95% there.

Dave,

Is there now an easier way to convert ML scenes to html pages for ipad usage? I am almost ready with the final versions of my scenes, and would like to start using them on the ipad. With little html knowledge, I wanted to understand how to easily convert my current scenes, with as little tweaking as possible.

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:49 pm

No "easy" way yet. You have to be comfortable with HTML or have us do it. It has been a while you should re-send me your set of scenes so I can have another look at them.

pete_auto
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby pete_auto » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:54 pm

OK - I will email you my scenes shortly.
Thanks

Return to “MainLobby on the iPad”