Announcing MainLobby on the iPhone

Discussions about Mainlobby running on Apple mobile devices.
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Announcing MainLobby on the iPhone

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:57 pm

We've been teasing about this long enough. Today we have released the 4th generation of our Mainlobby iPhone web application. iPhone users or users with iPod Touch's can download and start using this application immediately. The only requirement, other than a supported Apple device, is that you are running MLServer version 3.75.201 or higher. You'll find links to the application installer in the Cinemar Installation Assistant.

You should following the wiki instructions so that the application gets properly installed. You want to make sure that you run this application fullscreen by launching it from a desktop shortcut. The wiki will show you how to do this.

In this release we are featuring the most widely used Cinemar applications. You will find menu options for controlling
    Movies - DVDlobby 3.90
    Music - Musiclobby 3.75
    Satellite Radio - MLSatRadio
    Security - IPCameras, Elk Security Keypad, HAI Security keypad
    Climate - MLThermoStat
    Lighting - MLLighting plugins
    Energy - MLEnergyManagement
    Weather - WeatherLobby

You will find that 95% of these applications will work without any modifications. We tried to make this as turnkey as possible. Making any modifications to these scenes requires an entry level knowledge of HTML, CSS3 and Javascript. You should be able to copy and paste to make a lot of your changes. We plan on making this a lot easier in a future release of MainLobby. You also have the option of purchasing jump-start hours and have us make the customizations for you.

This is a continuing development effort. The whole framework is under development. This web app will only work well on webkit enabled devices. As Android devices mature look for us migrating support to these devices. While this is not a "native" application I think you'll be hard pressed to know that it isn't once you are running it.

Kick the tires. Let us know any issues and comments you may have. One question is "What about iPad?" Well that will be next. Watch this space. Here are some screen shots of what you can expect.

IMG_0009.PNG

IMG_0010.PNG

IMG_0029.PNG

IMG_0031.PNG

IMG_0038.PNG

IMG_0037.PNG

IMG_0036.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Re: Announcing MainLobby on the iPhone

Postby bigDvette » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Just downloaded. Can't wait to see this new data and function library.

Just and FYI - both on the new MLServer install and the IPHONE screen install it said my version of MLScript was newer. Just an FYI.

shakey
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby shakey » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:33 am

I missed this post last night. Now I can't wait get home to install and try. Might have be unproductive at work this afternoon and do a little Log Me In action.

Thanks for releasing Dave.

Shakey

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Wow - this is very exciting - got it working in a few minutes...

Is it worth hammering the html and scripts now to really integrate it into my setup or should I consider this more of a preview - if there is easier tools coming "soon" then maybe it is best to not one-off a solution until more told are available.

I am very impressed either way - the interface works great with the iPhone.

Great work!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:47 pm

The JavaScript routines in the iPhone.js file are all pretty stable now. What you will see is a continued refinement of CSS styles and additional active elements like progress bars and sliders being introduced. Our goal would be to some day have an MLS to HTML converter. Hard to say how soon that will happen, but it will. The iPad release will have a different styles.css file because of the different geometry. While we can never call anything finished it is safe to run with this code.

What we are really interested in is seeing what you folks can come up with. Feel free to show off your creations here.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Dave - Are you planning on progressing into making this an official iPhone app that is registered with Apple?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Most likely. It depends on how far we can go with Adobe's CS5 "Publish to iPhone". About the only thing we'd gain from doing this is a move away from polling to push. Time will tell.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Re: Announcing MainLobby on the phone

Postby DaveB » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Dave - I got connected and all of the menus without issue. My problem is that nothing works, not even a staple like weather. All I get on the phone screen is the actual script. Home button works and so on but nothing else works. In this case, I can not easily send you a screen shot.

A great example is the HAI keypad. It comes up, but the text at the top is the literal like {{hai_area1_security....

No commands from the keypad make it back to the agent.

Also, I will change it in the WIKI, but if you are on a non-standard port, the WIKI needs to explain how to handle that issue. You should also mention about opening up the firewall ports. I can fix both items if you wish.

I am running Apple OS 4.1 on the iphone.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:19 pm

What URL did you use? If the server variables are not getting translated then it sounds like you are not going through the user web server.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:23 pm

I agree that this is the issue. The Web Server never picks up that I am logged on.

I used

http://192.168.15.14:86/iphone/index.html

Menus and navigation work great.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Dave - You are correct. I restaarted MLS and got this error;

Error# 10013 - Permission Denied. Indicates that user does not have appropriate permissions to use this functionality. raised by UserWebServerStart

Same as prior, but all of the security items were resolved I thought. I may have missed a directory.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

rileydog
Expert
Expert

Postby rileydog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:59 pm

For the record I am using a custom port and it all works great - so, I don't think it is anything port specific.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm

daveb, permissions issues. Does the group "Everybody" have access to the entire MLServer folder and all its sub-folders?

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:20 pm

No, it is a permission issue that I am trying to work through. I just reloaded with windows 7 after a server melt down and I can not get the web server via MLS to run. The error above is the result. I have other posts on this in the MLS area so I moved the conversation.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 pm

CinemarDave wrote:daveb, permissions issues. Does the group "Everybody" have access to the entire MLServer folder and all its sub-folders?

Yes as based on our previous conversation over in the MLS forum area. I also gave the user (me) ownership and full permissions. I still get the same error.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

Return to “MainLobby on iPhone, iPod Touch”