XM-PCR (and other) Issues

Topics related to Sirius and XM Radio support via the MLSatRadio plugin.
jpimentel
Expert
Expert

XM-PCR (and other) Issues

Postby jpimentel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi,

I am trying out the new MLSatRadio Plugin and I am seeing a few issues while using the plugin with an XM-PCR

The worst is that the MLSatRadio|PowerOn and MLSatRadio|TogglePower do not seem to function. However, MLSatRadio|PowerOff does appear to work.

At first I thought my radio was broken because after all it is a few years old so I had to test the radio with the original XM-PCR application.

When that worked, I tried it with the old XMLobby plugin and that worked as well. So at this point if my radio gets turned off I have to juggle the plugins, and bounce MLServer to get it to work again which is not a great workaround.

Other curious behavior is that the "Enable Radio" selectors seem to get reset whenever MLServer get re-started which may or may not have any real consequence, but is strange none the less.

Finally the now playing / program guide info, particularly for the current channel is not very accurate across the board. I would have hoped that by selecting the "Collect additional now playing data from radio" button that this would be more up to date for a more HW radio like experience.

Looking for a fix on the first iten for sure before I buy upgrades for my clients.
Regards,

John

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XM-PCR (and other) Issues

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:21 am

: The worst is that the MLSatRadio|PowerOn and MLSatRadio|TogglePower do
: not seem to function. However, MLSatRadio|PowerOff does appear to work.

I no longer have XM-PCRs but I copied the code from the XMLobby plugin. Odd that it works there but not here. I'll have to look at it.

: Other curious behavior is that the "Enable Radio" selectors seem to get reset
: whenever MLServer get re-started which may or may not have any real
: consequence, but is strange none the less.

While the plugin is in evaluation mode all 5 radios remain active. That is why you are seeing those resets.

: Finally the now playing / program guide info, particularly for the current channel is not
: very accurate across the board. I would have hoped that by selecting the "Collect
: additional now playing data from radio" button that this would be more up to date
: for a more HW radio like experience.

The plugin queries XM every 2.5 seconds for an xml list of what's on. Most of the time that list is fairly accurate. Other times many minutes can go by before they update the xml data. There is a better XML feed that the mobile phones use and that will get incorporated into the plugin soon.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks for the info Dave, any logs or anything else I can do to help let me know.
Regards,

John

ggraef

Postby ggraef » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:41 am

Any word on fixing the XM-PCR support yet? I'd like to go back to using this plugin but the frustration factor is too high as is...

Thanks,
Gerry

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby ronsatter » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:04 pm

: The worst is that the MLSatRadio|PowerOn and MLSatRadio|TogglePower do
: not seem to function. However, MLSatRadio|PowerOff does appear to work.

I use XM-PCR radio and confirm this problem. It's been like this from the first release of MLSatRadio. I just never bothered to post about it, since I prefer to leave my radio powered on at all times.

BTW, how is MusicLobby 4 coming along? Looking forward to fixes to problems posted way back when ... before "iPhone/iPad" mania.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi There,

If it would be helpful, I could give you access to my server for testing, also you could pick up an XM-PCR pretty cheap on E-bay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=xmpcr
Or I might be able to send you my spare unit temporarily.... (least favored option)

Again let me know what I can do to help.
Regards,

John

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:17 pm

If someone with an XMPCR radio could try version 3.99.16 of the plugin and let me know if this version turns on the radio. If it doesn't can you provide the event log showing the power on attempt or let me remote into your PC so I can play with it.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Sadly I can't try it my demo period has expired

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Happily all you have to do is send me an email and I'll send you a license key to extend your demo. Check your email.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi Dave,

I wanted to report that most of the issues I have with the MLSatRadio have been resolved using the latest server and radio plugins, the only thing left is the power on/off for the radio, which in the grand scheme of things isn't that big a deal in the short term. I just have to disable MLSatRadio and re-enable XMLobby to re-init the PCR.

Was the serial trace dump I sent you a while back of any use? Just curious if there is going to be any more effort put forth in getting this working I guess. As another Data Point, Power Off seems to not work any more which is good since it prevents you from accidentally turning the radio off. Toggle however will still irrecoverably turn the XM-PCR off.
Regards,

John

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:25 am

Good to hear that a lot of issues have cleared up.

The XMPCR has always been a bear to try to turn on. All the protocol documents talk about the "magic bits" that need to be sent in just the right sequence in order for the device to recognize them and turn it on. I just found my original XMPCR hiding in a box so I will now be able to experiment with the timing of the magic bits.

Right now all the SatRadio effort is going into the V4 version. The new SatRadio app is a total rewrite and it will use the latest SiriusXM protocols reversed engineered from an Android client. Especially noteworthy is the now playing updates that pull from the live SiriusXM feed. The SatRadio app will internally only support 4 online radios but it will also allow any physical radio to be used via MLServer 4's device drivers. That way I will never have to modify the SatRadio app to support new hardware. All I have to do is write a device driver for it. Device drivers for the XMPCR and Polk will be made available. More about this when the V4 SatRadio app is released.

martyt50

Postby martyt50 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:09 pm

Dave,

I am currently running the demo version of MLSatRadio and was planning to purchase the full version. The full version has a lot of issues with the song data being incorrect, etc. I see that you are now devoting most of you efforts to version 4. My question is...Should I wait for version 4 or should I purchase now? I don't want to have to buy it twice if the release is close.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Wait until the V4 version is released. There is a V4 release available in the installer right now but it is only for the online streaming radios. I have not written the device drivers for the XMPCR or Polk yet so that I why I have not announced it. If you are only using the streaming radios you are welcomed to test drive the V4 release.

Return to “MLSatRadio”