Synchronize genres among clients

Topics related to Sirius and XM Radio support via the MLSatRadio plugin.
Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Synchronize genres among clients

Postby Wysocki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:01 pm

I have my audio system play the same thing throughout the house, even though I have more than one MLclient. I notice that if I select a Genre/Favorites on one client, the others do not show the change which ends up as a confusing situation since some clients don't show the button for the currently playing station. Is there any way to sync the playlists when a genre is selected on one of the clients so that they all show the same thing?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Synchronize genres among clients

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Not easily since each client purposely gets their own view of the database. In order for you to do this you would have to create specific SatRadio scenes then change the server variables removing the {{clientname}} bit with the actual client name of the master controller. Then all your other clients will be looking at what the main client is doing.

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Hmm, sounds interesting and doable. So I can see how that would allow me to display whatever items the main client has selected. But then that would preclude me from changing the genre from one of the non-main clients, right?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Correct. The non-main clients would see a read only view of SatRadio.

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm puzzled about how each client has its own view of the db. I see a variable "mlsatradio_radio_1_genre" (Jazz/Standards) but nothing about the genre of the individual clients. I wonder if I could have a client change the variable of the other clients like "mlsatradio_filterclass_livingroom" to (Pop) and then reload the scene for the other client(s)? I'm also additionally a bit confused because of the differences between real genres and the Favorites though.

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Still puzzled, as above, but I"m trying to find a solution to the issue. I have two clients and on each, I select ALL as the genre, then FAVORITES. Now they're both displaying the same thing. I power the clients and server down, restart all, and one client comes up with JAZZ genre and the other showing POP genre. Shouldn't the genre stick?

Ideally, I'd be happy if I could have each client startup with FAVORITES displaying. Any way to do this?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:13 pm

server variables should stick as long as they are saved on shutdown. My guess is that there is some initialization going on in the clients. You could watch the server event log as the client accesses the scene.

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:32 pm

While looking into this, I have some questions about the variables and how the plugin works.
I have two clients running and I can see that mlsatradio_filterclass_client1 contains the current genre or "favorites". This now appears to be sticking correctly so that if I shut down the client and the server and restart, the plugin starts with "favorites".

In my quest to be able to sync the clients, I shut down the clients, then in mlserver I changed the filterclass for the client to "Pop" (and the filterdesc as well). But when I restarted the client, it still displayed the "favorites" Evidently it does not load the genre upon startup but instead (I believe) gets it from the database or somewhere else. I don't see any kind of setting like this in mlsatradio.mdb so how does a client know which genre to load on startup? Then maybe I could force a change from another client and reload the list?

Return to “MLSatRadio”