Sample Browsing scene works... Now Playing doesn't

Topics related to Sirius and XM Radio support via the MLSatRadio plugin.
Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Sample Browsing scene works... Now Playing doesn't

Postby Wysocki » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 pm

I installed the server module and ran the client install. The 0019_Media_SatRadio.mls scene appears to be working. But the 0019_Media_SatRadio_NowPlaying.mls doesn't show any program data, coverart, or vu meter action.

It appears the problem is some missing variables. Looking at the mlserver list, I don't see anything that starts with mlsatradio_activeradio_ so therefore:
{{mlsatradio_radio_{{mlsatradio_activeradio_{{clientname}}}}_song}}~370~30
Doesn't do anything. Is this because I only have license for one radio?

BTW: This REALLY could use a "how to get started" guide. The Wiki is ok for reference (but needs more content) but I could have saved hours with a simple how-to guide.

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Sample Browsing scene works... Now Playing doesn't

Postby ronsatter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 pm

If you don't have any active radio variables populated, that means you haven't set any of your sources to be the active radio. There are five buttons on the 0019_Media_SatRadio.mls scene named "Radio 1" ... "Radio 5". If you select one of these buttons, that selection should become the "Active Radio" and populate the activeradio variables with data corresponding to what is playing on the selected radio. The plugin settings window has a "User Info" tab. You need to enable the radios for which you have licenses. Radios 1 thru 4 are used for streaming through the internet, Radio 5 is dedicated to a satellite radio device. Only use Radio 5 if you have a satellite radio device. Check the wiki for devices which work with this plugin.

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the world of trial and error ... it's a religion at Cinemar. Your comments about user guide help has been echoed by many. It if means much, the wikis are much better than in previous years. :)

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

Wysocki
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Wysocki » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:57 pm

That was it! I initially copied the scenes into my production folder and went about editing them but the problem was that I removed the 5 radio buttons since I only have one license! I edited the fields and got them to work. For example, I changed:
{{mlsatradio_radio_{{mlsatradio_activeradio_{{clientname}}}}_song}}~370~30
To:
{{mlsatradio_radio_1_song}}~370~30

Once I started the radio, of course the original form worked, but I'm puzzled why the variable mlsatradio_activeradio_terry does not show up in the mlserver variable list even though it evaluates to "1"?

Maybe it should be set up so that if you only have license for one radio, that radio is implicitly started at startup? Now that I have run a SetRadio~1 command, both the original scenes and my modified versions appear to work but maybe someday I'll lose whatever settings that command made (what DOES it do?) and I'll be forced to put a button on my scene that says "turn on radio 1".

BTW: I"ve added a bunch of notes to the Wiki based upon my installation experiences.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm

Wysocki wrote:Maybe it should be set up so that if you only have license for one radio, that radio is implicitly started at startup?

I agree. Perhaps Dave can make this change. I generally have had good luck building initialize macros for each of the media plugins, MLMusicLobby, MLSatRadio, MLDVDLobby and MLNetFlix to ensure that some of these little startup steps are executed. Another common practice is to place the commands in the main mls scene for each of these plugins.

Glad you added some info to the wiki. Everyone will benefit.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

Return to “MLSatRadio”