Is anyone using this?

Topics related to the MLVLC Plugin and Agent along with general VLC player usage
jstaab

Is anyone using this?

Postby jstaab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:52 pm

I have to ask as I'm not having very good luck getting the plug-in to work. From a Mainlobby scene, I've had it launch VLC (visibly) a few times. However, on most occasions it launches in the background (visible in taskman), but never visibly plays anything. Even with the test tab, playing a video is hit and miss. In addition, when you get a movie to play via the test tab, I found that clicking the 'Normal Speed' button after a fast forward or rewind will crash VLC. This is not the case when using the coinciding menu option in VLC itself. VLC does seem to be reliably, most of the time, launching and closing via the Power on and Power off buttons from the Testing tab. As a note, VLC does spike the CPU, even when not playing a video. This is not the case when running VLC manually, or even creating a VLC RC manually. Also, what few times I got it to work, most of the buttons on the scene doesn't work, such as the power button, the arrow buttons and so on. I'm using 1.1.2 of VLC, 3.90.21 of the agent, 3.90.15 of the plug in, and 3.75.129 of ML Server. This is all running under Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. At the moment, this does not appear to be an out of the box solution. Any idea of where to even begin?

jstaab

Re: Is anyone using this?

Postby jstaab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 pm

As some follow-up information... I made sure and shut down both the firewall and antivirus software, which didn't make any difference. I do run both MLServer and the agent as administrator. I turned on the agent to log to a file, but I don't see that it is writing a log file anywhere, so I attached a screen shot. Not know how to read the log file, I can only make a possible assumption that the agent is connecting to the remote control of VLC??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jstaab

Some progress...

Postby jstaab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Ok, I think if found one of the problems. I believe the command line option needs to be change to:
-I oldrc --rc-host localhost:6789 --rc-quiet --one-instance

After I made this change (rc to oldrc), I had a bit better luck controlling VLC. However, the 'normal speed' button in the testing tab still crashes VLC, so once you fast forward, or rewind, your completely hosed. Likewise, very few buttons on the scene work, but I haven't had a chance yet to look at all the mapping. I'm hoping the arrow keys working to navigate menus, and to get basic functionality at a minimum. I'm still trying to figure out if there is anyway to get on screen visuals when you fast forward and rewind. I'll post back if I find anything.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:10 pm

FYI, I did find this for Changes between 1.0.5 and 1.1.0-rc4:

Interfaces:
* Renamed the legacy rc, telnet and http interfaces to oldrc, oldtelnet
and oldhttp.
* rc, telnet and http are now implemented using the lua interface system.

So, it could be that the whole RC interface has changed, which may require changes to the agent.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:44 pm

As long as you use the oldrc interface everything still works. The command line that you posted is the one I am using.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Hmm, I get very, very basic functionality with it, play, stop, pause. But, fast forwarding and re-winding are out of the question since you can't stop, unless there is some other way? Do your arrow buttons work to control menus? It seems control is very limited at the moment.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:17 pm

I'll have an update for the VLC Agent in the next few days that will support the LUA RC interface. Watch for the announcement.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Ah, cool. I was getting further with using the AV.Alias|Key~KeyCommand keys to get things working. I was just sitting here trying to figure out if the tranpsort commands on the scenes can be altered in the agent. I wasn't sure if the {{media_{{clientname}}_transport_down}} command in the scene translated to the 'down' command defined in the agent. Maybe I'll just wait until the update.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:31 pm

What seems to work is to edit the arrow keys on the scene so they trigger, as an example, AV.VLC{{media_{{clientname}}_activeplayer}}|Key~key-nav-down
Editing the corresponding 'down' command in the agent didn't seem to do the trick

Edit:
Scratch my last comment, editing the 'down' in the agent to the key command mentioned did work. So it seems the default commands shipped need updated.

Edit2:
There is something up with the ability to edit the Remotes MLServer Commands in DVDLobby. You can edit them, save them, but they don't seem to be accepted by MLServer, even after a restart. However, I managed to get my 'down' command in, not sure how, but no others are being read in. I verified by by checking the log and it was indeed still processing the old command ever after I updated it. What makes matters worse, if you update your commands, then accidently select VLC Player under the Remotes menu, your custom commands on the VLC tab are then lost, even if you don't hit save.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:25 am

Any update on the Plugin and the ability to edit the associated Remote MLServer Commands?
Thanks,
Jesse

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Anything available for testing yet?

ftremblay

Postby ftremblay » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 pm

I get the same problem the agent is not comunicating with VLC. do I need to setup VLC to accept command from the mainlobby VLC agent. when i test to send command it log ''tcpvlc closed'' . No command from the agent is doing anything....

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:24 pm

You might get it to work a little bit if you make the change to the command line as I mentioned earlier in this thread. However, if you wait a bit, they are working on an updated version of the agent that will work with the latest VLC, which has a newer remote control interface that they'll take advantage of.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:23 pm

I am trying to get the version of the agent that supports VLC 1.1.4 done today. There is a totally different command line required when using the newer versions of VLC. Watch for the update.

jstaab

Postby jstaab » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:40 pm

Cool, thanks for the heads up!

CinemarDave wrote:I am trying to get the version of the agent that supports VLC 1.1.4 done today. There is a totally different command line required when using the newer versions of VLC. Watch for the update.

Return to “MLVLC”