MLVLC Plugin Released

Topics related to the MLVLC Plugin and Agent along with general VLC player usage
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

MLVLC Plugin Released

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Version 3.90.8 of the MLVLC plugin is available for immediate download. You can read the wiki documentation here. Like other Media player plugins there is a plugin and agent. The agent will get installed on all the PCs where you want to run the VLC player. The plugin is designed to work with VLC version 1.0.5. The Agent includes a copy of VLC 1.0.5 and is part of the install. Give it a test drive and post your questions and comments here.

An update to the MainLobby MCE Agent wll be made available in the near future that will allow remote control of the player. Until that is released you will need standard touch screen control.

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: MLVLC Plugin Released

Postby ronsatter » Tue May 18, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi Dave,

Congrats on DVDLobby. Been quitetly observing. Nice work. Well thought out and robust.

I was wondering if this VLC player plugin was intended to be used as an integrated movie file player with DVDLobby? I did the install. All went well. I can play a movie from my hard drive. The ML commands work as indicated in the wiki. I have not tested them all, yet.

I built a simple control scene in ML with control buttons for the play commands. I set the default playback to "Always put the player on top" over ML. The player window is floating and can be re-sized, ect. I noticed that when I send a "Pause" command with a button on the ML control scene, I lose the VLC playback window. Makes sense ... changing the window focus, etc. When I toggle the pause command (send a "pause" command again after the original pause command), the movie file starts playing again from the paused point as expected ... but the VLC playback window DOES NOT become visible again, as it does on original launch and playback of a file. Is there a command which I can include to bring the VLC playback window to the top level? If not, can you add this command to the plugin?

Also, I notice that the VLC Player has streaming capability. Is there a way to direct the VLC playback stream into an ML library object like a JPEG Loader or WebLobby so we could integrate the playback window into the ML scene ... not as an external window?

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Wed May 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Also, I notice that the VLC Player has streaming capability. Is there a way to direct the VLC playback stream into an ML library object like a JPEG Loader or WebLobby so we could integrate the playback window into the ML scene ... not as an external window?

this would be great
Hooked on HighDef

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu May 20, 2010 12:07 am

MLVLC is intended to be used as an integrated player for DVDLobby. I need to update the DVDLobby plugin to get the default set of remote VLC commands. You can easily update them now by hand. Once you do you'll have a good replacement for all your video playback outside of Blu-rays. I've just updated the MCE Agent (to be released shortly) so that when it sees VLC playing it will translate the MCE button presses to equivalent VLC commands. This means that people using the new DVDLobby remote control scenes can now control VLC with the remote.

VLC does have some powerful streaming capabilites built into it. We'll have to do some experimenting to see what kind of integration we can achieve within MainLobby.

ronsatter

Postby ronsatter » Thu May 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Go Dave! Go! =D>

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat May 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Dave - So help me out here; THis is from the WIKI for the very simple play command;

{MLServeCmd}Script Usage

AV.Alias|Play
Parameters
Alias = The Alias of the player to send the command to

(Literal)
AV.Alias|Play

Description

Starts playback of the loaded movie

Notice the literal. This is from the driver as loaded; AV.TT{{media_{{clientname}}_activeplayer}}|Play

I am assuming that the "TT" is wrong and that it should be VL or VLC or something, but still the WIKI is not correct.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat May 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Where are you seeing TTs? You need to use the aliases that you have defined in the MLVLC plugin. By default they take the form VLC1, VLC2 VLCn. Your AV commands would be in the form AV.VLC1|PlayMovie~somemovie. This works just like the ArcSoft and TheaterTek and PowerDVD plugins.

If you don't like the AV shortcuts then use the old school MLVLC|PlayMovie~somemovie~VLC1

The TTx aliases usually point to TheaterTek.

beerguy

Postby beerguy » Sat May 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi Dave -
I'm assuming this was the same for everyone but out of the box my VLC remote in DvdLobby3.9 had all of it's commands filled in with AV.TT commands. I've had to go back and manually fix them.

Pat

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat May 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Ah - now I know where to look...

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat May 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Version 3.90.226 of the DVDLobby plugin adds the VLC player commands to the default database and enables the VLC menu command in the Remote Menu.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun May 23, 2010 7:01 am

Thanks Dave - Sorry that I did not indicate where that info was coming from. Maybe clean up the WIKI a bit to expand on this.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sun May 23, 2010 10:45 am

i am getting closer on this, but need a little assistance;

I have the VLC player via DVD Lobby (and the 0028 interface) working on several screens in my home from my touch screens. I can start the player, pause, stop and play from the remote GUI on the 0028 Gallery screens. I can not do anything else. I have checked the GUI scene design and found nothing out of line. I have looked at the logs and I am sending the correct information. I am using the canned remote source commands on the latest copy of VLC.

When I run the log on the agent, the only commands that are being processed by the agent are Play/Pause/Stop.

I went through the Video Media Player WIKI on their site, but can not seem to locate a list of valid commands. Can anyone direct me to a good list?
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun May 23, 2010 12:39 pm

If you are trying to use VLC in a remote control 1920,x1080 environment then you need a new version of the MCE Agent. Version 3.8.3790.17767 is available in MLInstaller and it is brand new. I've been testing in the last few days and it is working ok for me. This enables all the trapsport controls along with volume and mute. The numeric buttons 1 through 7 will set different aspect ratios. Once I am happy with how this agent is worknig it will be rolled into the normal MainLobby client installer.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon May 24, 2010 8:07 pm

CinemarDave wrote:If you are trying to use VLC in a remote control 1920,x1080 environment then you need a new version of the MCE Agent. Version 3.8.3790.17767 is available in MLInstaller and it is brand new. I've been testing in the last few days and it is working ok for me. This enables all the trapsport controls along with volume and mute. The numeric buttons 1 through 7 will set different aspect ratios. Once I am happy with how this agent is worknig it will be rolled into the normal MainLobby client installer.

Dave - I have not gotten to that point yet. I am just trying to use a remote touch pad to control VLC. The touch screen is running the 0028 interface, and all of the remote scene commands are correct. The driver or the agent (can to determine which) only seems to be accepting play/stop/pause. I can not figure out if my commands (actually the commands packaged with the driver) are correct or not, as I can not locate the lost of valid commands for VLC in your WIKI or the WIKI of VLC.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm

At least you can get a movie to launch :evil: im about 2 seconds away from saying forget it and going back to the old dvdlobby. I could get powerdvd to launch but not load the iso so after a while i gave up and tried the new vlc plugin. i cant even get that to launch.
what am i missing? why wont movies automatically mount in deamon tools any more?
Hooked on HighDef

Return to “MLVLC”