MLVLC Plugin Released

Topics related to the MLVLC Plugin and Agent along with general VLC player usage
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MLVLC Plugin Released

Postby CinemarDave » Mon May 24, 2010 11:37 pm

The RC (Remote Control) interface to the VLC player does not expose a lot of transport commands. You get the following

AV.VLCn|Play
AV.VLCn|Pause
AV.VLCn|Stop
AV.VLCn|FastForward
AV.VLCn|Rewind
AV.VLCn|Faster
AV.VLCn|Slower
AV.VLCn|Normal
AV.VLCn|Mute
AV.VLCn|VolUp
AV.VLCn|VolDown
AV.VLCn|PrevChapter
AV.VLCn|NextChapter
AV.VLCn|PowerOn
AV.VLCn|PowerOff
AV.VLCn|VideoRatio~1:1 or 4:3 or 16:9 or 16:10 or 5:4 or 221:100 or Bestfit

These are the same commands that are defined in the Wiki.

Play and Stop do not work like standard transport controls. Stop will stop the movie but pressing play will always start you from the beginning of the movie. You want to use the Pause command as a play/pause toggle.

The Arcsoft and PowerDVD agents are the only plugins that will automatically mount an iso file. You need to make sure the path to deamon tools is properly defined in the agent. The VLC agent does not know how to automatically mount an iso because the VLC player has built in support for iso files.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue May 25, 2010 7:01 am

Ok, so I have got all that. This is what works in my remote settings for the launching of my files;

AV.VLC{{media_{{clientname}}_activeplayer}}|Play [My Variable Value = {{media_giga_activeplayer}} = 1]

So my literal is AV.VLC1|Play <=== Correct...Yes?

AV.VLC{{media_{{clientname}}_activeplayer}}|Pause

AV.VLC{{media_{{clientname}}_activeplayer}}|Stop

AV.VLC{{media_{{clientname}}_activeplayer}}|FastForward .....and so on

I have three video player instances, VLC1, VLC2, and VLC3, and I can start/stop/pause all of them with the above entries into the remote setup screen of DVD Lobby. None of the other commands above, or from the WIKI do anything at all on any of my machines. This seems to me to be an agent or driver issue, not an individual machine issue as I have three separate computers all doing the same exact thing.

If I take out the "VLC" in the above, nothing works. This is why I could not understand why, when you removed the "TT" in the previous release, you did not simply substitute it for "VLC", and why you did not pre-load the above commands into the remote screen for the distribution of the driver. Most of the commands that ship with the driver are not correct, which causes much confusion. Users expect that the driver will work when loaded without deleting most of the settings and starting over. Either way, after reloading the correct settings for each function, I still have the same exact issue.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue May 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Dave - I got thinking about my own post above and may have answered the problem, but I do not know why....read on;

I uninstalled DVD Lobby; Uninstalled VLC and agent everyplace. I reinstalled everything; I then went to DVDLobby and deleted and rebuilt all the remote commands that are wrong with the driver; I then tested all the functions and all work.

This is the strange part - even though I had previously deleted and rebuilt all of the wrong remote commands after the "TT" issue, for some reason, when I sent the commands via a screen, the driver was sending all the commands as shipped with the driver rather than my commands. I do not know or understand why.

Bottom line; All woks now with some work left for you to complete on the packaged driver. I would package the exact commands required by the VLC software player as part of your distribution.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue May 25, 2010 7:11 pm

That's good to here. I'll double-check everything and then publish a new release.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue May 25, 2010 8:56 pm

...And I need to add, that after some playing around tonight, and when doing simultaneous streaming from my NAS to all off my players at the same time, and with some playing the same movie, all is smooth. Much smoother than what I ever achieved with TT or ArcSoft. I like VLC. It is very easy to set up. You do not need to get very deep in configuration settings to get it working well, which will be a plus for many users. It also seems to require less resources.

Thanks!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat May 29, 2010 7:03 am

I added the above RC info to the WIKI.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat May 29, 2010 8:41 am

Dave - This is a DVD Lobby admin interface issue; The question is: How do you delete or add commands to the RC interface. I have modified commands as necessary to make the system work, but I can not delete the old commands that are no longer required from the admin interface. I also can not add any commands. You need to open up the RC list for editing.

Also, the "Remotes" "Custom" option button in the top toolbar does nothing.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat May 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I'm going to have an update to the Content Manager later today that will fix the VLC menu among other things. You cannot add new rows to the remote control list since all remote controls need to have the same set of commands defined. You'll have to use commands that are there. That's why I added the 10 user defined commands.

Return to “MLVLC”