Anyone interested in SportsLobby?

Have a great idea about how to expand ML - post it here
mcascio
Founder
Founder

Anyone interested in SportsLobby?

Postby mcascio » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:52 pm

Just trying to find out if anyone is interested in a SportsLobby.

We're still researching the methodology of gathering the data and while there are some online resources for scraping...we're looking for feeds that are stable, reliable and most importantly legally available.

This method may come at a higher premium and possibly a monthly subscription depending on the number of users interested. Most companies that license the data are servicing 100k users plus which isn't our current scenario but one we'd like to achieve.

There are various levels of packages that some companies are offering from just post game scores right down to the guy at bat.

Imagine watching your favorite sports team, tablet in hand, and you have live scores as well as view player at bat stats.

1) So I'm looking for what level of detail users might be interested in - pst game, real time, stats, news feeds, etc.
2) What sports would you be interested in? MLB, NHL, NFL, Pig Wrestling
3) Would you be willing to pay a subscription fee to have access to this data?

While we certainly have higher priorities, I thought we should throw this out there to see what others think.

Thanks for your feedback.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

THARTIGH
Expert
Expert

Postby THARTIGH » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:57 pm

I requested it before, but the fanatsy games would be great. Their are a ton of sites doing it (rss feeds), but the main ones are as accurate as it gets. During games I usually have the live scoring up. It gives instant games updates as well as where your fantasy team stands.

I would be interested in normal major sports

As for paying sure, but alot of sites provide RSS feeds free for us. As a buisness you probably have to pay for the samething to be used in your software. Most I have looked at say "free for personal use not for commercial". So for me no sense in paying for a service I can most likely get for free.

So how about an RSS feed lobby. Charge for it of course. Then for us end users the sky is the limit.

Todd

cborod
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby cborod » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:35 pm

Ditto on the RSS lobby concept. Only sport I care about is NFL, but that's just me. Having RSS feeds and then the end-user can customize and choose seems to fit the ML model better anyway.

That could also probably expand your reach beyond just sports....and with wider appeal, probably get a better price or better volume.
ChrisB

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:48 pm

My $.02 on the subject. I would love to see it happen for the avid sports fans. However, I am not that guy. If it were another lobby product, even one that is relatively more expensive I would probably buy it for the cool factor (if it had free data). If there were recurring monthly fees, that would be the show stopper for me. Again this is coming from someone that doesn't consider himself a huge sports fan.

The idea of an RSSLobby product (or plug-in) is a rather interesting one as well.

Davis

Big Bob
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Big Bob » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:50 pm

Mario

I wouldn’t be interested in “SportsLobby” per se, but I would be interested in “NFLLobby”, with 2 specific slants – DTV Sunday Ticket and Fantasy Football.

The Sunday Ticket page would show the matchups for the weekend (with Team Logos so you could easily find the game you were looking for), scores/info for those games in progress, and of course touching the logos would tune the DTV box to the correct channel.

Fantasy Football would display the results of the games/stats from your FF league.

I had started working on the former 2 seasons ago, assuming that if I could get it working, I could do the latter via WebLobby (which I would buy at that point). I never really got a chance to perfect the Sunday Ticket scene this year, since post-Katrina I didn’t even really watch too many games, but for next year will mess around with it again – unless you guys come up with something easier/better.

My $.02.

Joe

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Not sure of the complexity but I would rather see an RSS feed plugin as well (for fee, not for free). We can grab the sports/news/weather/traffic/whatever then. I am sure that there are a bunch of people that would like SportsLobby but I think that just about EVERYONE would be able to use an RSS plugin.

just my thoughts
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:25 pm

Big Bob wrote:Mario

I wouldn’t be interested in “SportsLobby” per se, but I would be interested in “NFLLobby”, with 2 specific slants – DTV Sunday Ticket and Fantasy Football.

The Sunday Ticket page would show the matchups for the weekend (with Team Logos so you could easily find the game you were looking for), scores/info for those games in progress, and of course touching the logos would tune the DTV box to the correct channel.

Fantasy Football would display the results of the games/stats from your FF league.

I had started working on the former 2 seasons ago, assuming that if I could get it working, I could do the latter via WebLobby (which I would buy at that point). I never really got a chance to perfect the Sunday Ticket scene this year, since post-Katrina I didn’t even really watch too many games, but for next year will mess around with it again – unless you guys come up with something easier/better.

My $.02.

Joe

Here's another vote for NFLLobby to do the same thing that Bob suggested. Here's a screen shot of what I did for the past 2 years -- as you can see, it regressed from 2004 -2005. When I spent more time on it in 2004, I had it down to about a 5 minute process, editing the mls in excel, importing the channel lineup from DirecTV and spitting it back out as a new .mls file.

I changed set top boxes and commands to control it, so I never got around to doing a more professional job this year -- I just quickly typed in the text for the teams playing and put in the appropriate commands to change to the correct channel when the button was pressed. Since I was the only one using it, I went more for functionality than form. :oops:

Murray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kdawg2332

Postby kdawg2332 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:25 am

I don't know if this topic is dead, but a sportslobby woudl be pretty sweet...does anyone have a makeshift solution in place that allows you to click a button and see the latest scores? Or scroll through a ticker? That would be prett awesome

ccap

Postby ccap » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:59 pm

I like the idea of a sports lobby. I would use it for baseball and NFL. AS for paying probably not. I just notices on my son's PSP while he was playing Madden football, that there was a live sports ticker scrolling along the bottom of actual stats and information. It was pulling down from the internet. Pretty Cool

donburkard
Expert
Expert

Postby donburkard » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:35 pm

I am not sure if this is still being discussed somewhere or not, but, if it is, yea, its a cool idea but i think more attention should be paid to other things.

just my two cents
Hooked on HighDef

jjjukebox

Postby jjjukebox » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:35 pm

I would love to see a Sports Lobby run completely from ML. I have one currently but involves alot of complicated and unsavy scripts from HomeSeer to run. Also takes alot of variable setup to run.

Below are some screenshots of what I currently have for some ideas.

Later
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J.J. Jukebox

Return to “MainLobby Feature Requests”