BarLobby

Have a great idea about how to expand ML - post it here
jblively

BarLobby

Postby jblively » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:36 am

Not sure if this would go into Kitchen Lobby or Wine Lobby....but I was entertaining for the superbowl today..and has to make some mixed drinks.

Well, There were a couple I didn't know...and had to look them up in this little electronic bartender gadget I got as a stocking stuffer.

How cool would it to be to have a drink recipie engine for MainLobby. It could show the recipies, pictures, have categories, search features....

Just a thought...seems very simple and very handy....those little bartender gadgets are a pain and just awkward....a 'fullscreen' tool would be much more intutive.

Joe

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:08 am

Throw this on the "DBLobby" app. Forget about the myriad applications possible that want a generic back-end... we just need a usable, flexible front-end for a decent database backend and we're set. What are we talking for a "Bartender" app? three fields? maybe a couple more if you go nuts and try to see when it was first made and by whom? and really... if you're making more than one, no one will care after they've drank them... :wink:

:lol:

blafarm
Expert
Expert

Postby blafarm » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:20 pm

"DBLobby" is a great idea.

Wonder if this should be posted in the ML3 forum - or has it already been discussed too many times to bother posting again.

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:15 pm

daveevans was talking about maturing his DVDQuery plugin to become a database plugin. Dunno where he is on that...

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:30 pm

Still on the my "to do" list. Unfortunately my spare time is almost non existent. Now that tax season is here, I am working VERY long days. I'll keep you updated as it progresses.

Dave

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:32 pm

Have fun with the taxes, Dave!

:P

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:02 pm

fun and taxes....two words that should never be used together :D

jblively

Postby jblively » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:10 pm

gregoryx wrote:Throw this on the "DBLobby" app. Forget about the myriad applications possible that want a generic back-end... we just need a usable, flexible front-end for a decent database backend and we're set. What are we talking for a "Bartender" app? three fields? maybe a couple more if you go nuts and try to see when it was first made and by whom? and really... if you're making more than one, no one will care after they've drank them... :wink:

:lol:

I do agree....not much to it.....Field for the recipie, an image, date used last, ranking, and maybe a couple other silly things like a cross reference to what common guests favorite drinks were so that you can prepar a shopping list of alcohol to purchase....

But, yeah, DB Lobby could accomplish most of that....

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:43 am

That's what'd be so sweet about a "dbplugin" is that people could then build their own database backend AND front-end for ALL to use... and more of us than just the VB and Flash programmers could do it. :o

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:54 am

the answer is in Excelsius!
http://www.infommersion.com/products.html

just having a hard time prying out my wallet for it ...

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:07 pm

Neat and all... but I just want the ability to call ANY database field from MLS... :wink:

bwally
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby bwally » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:39 pm

you want the abality to "query" any database field.
to load information on demand.

that won't be a problem with excelsius and ML because the "scene" is the data ... and you just have to build your scene to match the presentation.

the trick will be triggering events based on the data presented or to have the data change on triggers from other scenes.

but excelsius would work like a dream for something like BarLobby (this thread)

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:50 pm

Okay... I think I'm "seeing" it now... it has an XML interpreter to various front-ends, including Flash... I think. Doesn't look like the "standard" version will do that for $200... and I can't tell if the $500 "Professional" version will do it or if one would have to go to the $2000 "Enterprise" version. Any way you slice it, it seems like we'd be as well or better off with a HomeSeer based app in a WebLobby window... :?

BTW, the old (1.x) version of ML required VB or other scripts to build in XML the GUI scenes we enjoy today (which are still 100% XML in the back-end). If one were going the above direction, one might almost as well just go to those scripts and not worry about an actual "database" backend but just write scripts to manipulate XML data and format output appropriately as XML .MLS files to be loaded in ML.

It does beg the question of whether a DBLobby plugin should generate full screens or populate variables...
:)

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:56 am

I am developing the plugin in the "populate variables" method. The problem I running into now is, there is no way of getting data into the databse from ML. We do not have an edit box that we can assign to a variable. Right now, you would have to add new records to the db through some alternate method. So even once I get the query logic down, We will still only be about 50% of the way there

Dave

gregoryx
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby gregoryx » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:26 am

50% further than today! Bring it on! Thanks, Dave!

:mrgreen:

Return to “MainLobby Feature Requests”