Random Player

Have a great idea about how to expand ML - post it here

Random Player

Postby chuck99z28 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:56 am

Just tossing this out there to see if anyone else is interested.

I like to display videos based on themes on several monitors scattered around my entertainment room. Normally I play them without sound, and stream music from my own collection or pandora. The videos are just used as ambiance.

I have directories of like videos stored on a NAS (Storage2). Directories such as Trains, Beaches, Surfing, Skying, Dance, Workout, Rivers, SunriseEarth.

I can play an entire directory with a command like

Code: Select all

AV|16~Run~"C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe"~"\\STORAGE2\Scenic\Sailing\

But the trouble is, that it always plays in order of the directory and you see the same first few videos all the time.

So I made a separate directory for each video, and used directory names consisting of decimals. Directory "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10"

Then using two server variables, I can keep track of which directory played last.

Code: Select all

AV|16~Run~"C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe"~"\\STORAGE2\Scenic\Sailing\{{htpc_scenic_Sailing_next}}"

This method has deficiencies. I have to create more number directories every time I find another video to add. It would be much easier just to be able to drop a new video into a scene directory and have it automatically added to the rotation.

Finding videos is pretty easy, right click is your friend. Sorting them into major scene categories is easy. But building out the directories above and updating the command macros is a pain.

If all the videos of a specific category where all dumped into one directory and additional videos are occasionally added -- I'm not sure how I would keep track of what has played and what hasn't without a server app assisting.

Using an app to manually create a playlist... perhaps I don't know how to do that without the manual selection. And it would still start from the beginning, no?

I also use this technique to display running/jogging videos on a 32 inch lcd mounted directly in front of a treadmill.

Note, in the above examples av device 16 is a avagent running on a NUC connected to a hdmi matrix switch.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Random Player

Postby CinemarDave » Thu May 28, 2015 7:05 pm

VLC Player allows you to create text file that becomes a video playlists. When playing a video playlist you can use shuffle to randomize the playback. That might be an option.

Return to “MainLobby Feature Requests”