Multi platform controller "WINK" - $49??

Have a great idea about how to expand ML - post it here
indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Multi platform controller "WINK" - $49??

Postby indecision » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:40 am

Dave,

Just curious if Wink has ever replied with the API credentials? My hub has been working great. I added some new Zigbee bulbs after Christmas and ended up having to shift the hub to a more central location in the house to get everything working reliably (which is to be expected). I had a few hiccups when I first purchased the hub but it has been really solid for the past month or so.

Thanks!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:11 am

Yes, after 6 weeks and 8 begging emails Wink finally sent me my developer credentials. I tried for 3 hours last night to get my Wink hub on the network and so far no luck. Will try again later today.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Good to hear they sent he info but not good that it won't connect. From what I have ready they have had some issues with the hubs getting on 5ghz networks. Is that by chance what you are using?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:02 pm

Six hours into it. Hub will not connect with anything. Standard 2.4GHz network. WPA security or unsecured. When trying to connect all I end up with is a message that says "UH-OH The connection to the device has failed unexpectedly. Please Try Again". No hints as to what is really happening.

Holy Crap! - As I'm typing this message the light on the front of the Wink suddenly turns blue and it is connected to the network. I hope adding devices isn't this painful. On to the next adventure.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Well 15 minutes later the Wink Hub went back to blinking purple and it will not rejoin the network. Since it only cost me a penny I guess I got what I paid for....

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:07 pm

First lesson learned. Wink docs say make sure your Wink Hub is not too close to your wireless router. At least 5-8 feet away. Well I guess my Open-Mesh access points are too powerful for the Wink. I had to move the Wink Hub outside my office where the Open-Mesh access point resides. Now the Wink Hub is happy and connecting to and staying on the network.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:35 pm

Nice. That was going to be my next suggestion. I have a friend who had the same experience.

Return to “MainLobby Feature Requests”