Cumulus Weather

Have a great idea about how to expand ML - post it here
chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Cumulus Weather

Postby chuck99z28 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:40 am

I use a program called Cumulus, to receive info from a weather station in my back yard and upload it to Weather Underground.
(Station KVAWOODB11)
cumulus.JPG

Cumulus updates a text file -- realtime.txt.
I attached one.
realtime.txt

Here is the format of the text file.
http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Realtime.txt

My Cumulus server and MainLobby server are the same machine. So realtime.txt is located on the local drive.

Is there a easy way to read these varibles into MainLobby, so I can display the weather gauges on a client (using library 0013)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cumulus Weather

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:23 pm

I have a little bit of Christmas spirit left. Install the version of WeatherLobby I just released. Go into settings and set the path to the folder that contains the realtime.txt file. Press the Update Now button to save the settings. About a minute later you should see a series of "Weather_Cumulus_" server variables being created. It will update these variables once a minute.

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Wow, that was cool and works like a champ.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

chuck99z28
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby chuck99z28 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Just to update this thread for anyone wanting to do this.
I'm using the Davis Vantage Vue Model 6250 weather station and 6510USB WeatherLink.
The WeatherLink connects to the server using USB.
Cumulus reads the data from the Weatherlink and contributes it to Weather Underground.

Now the Weather App updates the server vars.

I changed the Weather Page in library 0028 to show my local data, and I still use the weather.com data for things I don't have like maps and forecast.

Thanks again Dave.

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby sbuckler » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:32 am

And another thanks, Dave. I had used Virtual Weather Station for years, but decided to give Cumulus a try after reading this thread. With Cumulus I am now sending weather data to Weather Underground, Weatherbug and MLServer. I too changed my main WeatherLobby page to display my own station data. This all prompted me to finally make my own weather website.

http://www.harwichweather.com

thanks again and also for your support this last year. Happy New Year to all the folks at Cinemar.

Stan

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks, and glad to hear that sometimes this can all be a lot of fun.

sbuckler
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby sbuckler » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:03 pm

Ok, so now I want to keep tweaking! What I would like to do and have not figured out is this. Since I already have a variable for current weather icon, I would like to have it show on my website. In Cumulus there is the ability to ftp files to my site. My first question is this allowed? I would have no problem giving Cinemar credit and a link. Secondly, I have tried using WriteFile to get the icon to a text file.

WriteFile|C:\Users\Stan\Documents\Weather_Icons.txt~Write~http://192.168.1.7:6246/Images/Weather/WX_{{weather_current_icon}}.png

The command does not work.

I would have an automation rule to update the file every hour.

What is the best way to do this?

Return to “MainLobby Feature Requests”