Integrating ALARM.COM with Mainlobby

Have a great idea about how to expand ML - post it here
stang725

Integrating ALARM.COM with Mainlobby

Postby stang725 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Please create an interface between ALARM.COM and Mainlobby. There is a tone of info gathered by ALARM.COM that could be fed into Mainlobby; security cameras, door/window status, arming/disarming, motion in various rooms.

Please look into this, just having HAI and other similar alarm systems that really aren't very mainstream is a real turn-off and is keeping me from really using my mainlobby server. I effectivly get more info on my touchscreen using the ALARM.COM HTML interface than I do my mainlobby server.

mnkynifefite
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Integrating ALARM.COM with Mainlobby

Postby mnkynifefite » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Hmm...interesting.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Not Mainstream. Interesting.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

jjjukebox
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Postby jjjukebox » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:24 am

Dont see any hardware specs for controller. Does have WiFi though.

Not sure how we could interface with it.

Interesting though.
J.J. Jukebox

stang725

Postby stang725 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:29 pm

They even have an IPHONE APP for it(it can't that difficult to interface with, though not being a programmer I could be wrong). With that being said, there should be some way to pull info from it via providing your login credentials to the ALARM.COM webserver and having a mainlobby interface interpret the data being passed back. It would effectively knock out alarm system, camera, and room motion/activity all in one interface. The wifi in the unit is strictly for connecting the wireless sensors and to the alarm company. They then feed the info to their webserver. Its an awesome alarm system for the price and simplicity of setup. True the HAI systems have a lot more features, but the level of remote interaction with alarm.com is way above any other systems I have found. I can be sitting on the beach and via my iphone disarm/arm my alarm and watch real-time video of my house. Plus it keeps track of every event that involves a sensor, even when the alarm is not activated. You can see all of this info real-time via the iphone app or html.

I had a break-in and I literally could trace the steps of where the bad guy came in and left right away through another entry after the alarm went off. It also tracked when the cops came in after the call-in and walked around my house and left, all with time stamps for each motion sensor and door. It also emails, texts, and calls you based on alarms or any preset sensor trips. I definitely recommend this and like I said earlier, this would really be a plus for mainobby to somehow integrate this into its line-up.

bigDvette
Expert
Expert

Postby bigDvette » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Just to give you something to think about.

It seems the iphone app is provided by Alarm.com as an add-on (advanced service package) and simply because there is an iphone interface doesn't mean they offer external application access. It actually looks like their system is a closed loop. Now their equipment is some kind of GE platform so who knows if it would be compatible. The real solution is for elk/HAI ... to engineer a solution to have their monitoring provided by alarm.com.

I think (could be wrong) the reporting functionality in alarm.com is a side benefit of their monitoring service. Elk and HAI can collect sensor data too.

Maybe you can call or e-mail alarm.com yourself and see if they provide access to alarm status informaton by 3rd party applications as a webservice. If so, you can probably find someone to write a simple application to access that data and create variables in MLServer, I just don't see anywhere on their site that they allow that integration.

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 pm

And on top of all that; You need a system that is UL and NFPA approved like HAI or Elk and others like GE. Now in some instances, you can not get insurance discounts, alarm monitoring, or local building department approval without it. The whole alarm.com concept is good, but very similar to what is already available from other for years. They have along path and a long road ahead. The largest thing I see is the necessary approvals.

Currently, with the MLS product and a few plugins, you can get wireless notifications, iPhone implementation and control and wireless touch screen control both locally and remotely. I do not know what else you could ask for. On top of that, HAI is one of the most progressive and stable companies in the game currently. They are certainly "Mainstream" on an international basis.
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

Return to “MainLobby Feature Requests”