Color Swatch Object

Have a great idea about how to expand ML - post it here
jjjukebox
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Color Swatch Object

Postby jjjukebox » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:22 pm

I was wondering how hard it would be to have library object created that would represent the "colour swatch" in the ML Button Mode Editor.

The reason I ask is because after viewing all the incredible scenes being created and posted from the Lodge & Gallery users, I have decided to make my own themed scene designer to enhance my original system which was getting pretty boring and unattractive.

I created a designer scene that is a real bear to load over top of my Main Menu (which is a real bear too) because the colour swatch I created is from over 200 indivdual JPGLoaders that represent all the colours from the ML editor. If I could load a colour swatch object it would really cut down on the overhead. What would great is if each colour could either launch a editable command or set a variable with the numeric value of that colour eg. 0xCCFF33 etc.

My designer allows me to design scences based on the calendar, room, or holiday images on the main menu. For example if the image is that of one of my rooms/zones then I can I can have all my scences colour coordinated to match colours, objects, wallpaper or carpet patterns in that room. This is great for mobile or wall mounted devices as the theme colours would coordinated with the room you/they are in.

For the Holiday Theme I use MLCountdown to change all clients themes on the day of the holiday.

The designer gives a quick representation of what the scene will look like after the changes.
- Select a theme (Room, Calendar or Holiday)
- Select the room, month or holiday
- Select the scene template
- Select the background and objects to change
- Select a colour, tint and alpha for each
- Apply
- Done

The designer allows colour set up of backgrounds and buttons for the Main Menu, Sub-Menus, Media Controls and Gallery scenes and are applied to all simular scenes throughout the system through setproperty commands in command maps that are executed each time a new overlay is launched.

I have attached some images that show my original Main Menu, some designer scenes and some main scenes that are a product of the designer.

I would be interested on any feed back and if the colour swatch object is something that could be provided from Cinemar.

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jjjukebox on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.J. Jukebox

ronsatter

Re: Color Swatch Object

Postby ronsatter » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi JJ,

Love the concept! I can see you have put some time and effort into this project. Keep up the good work.

I would suggest a set of pre-programmed templates with pre-defined colors and backgrounds displayed as an array of choices for users instead of attempting to providing so many choices. I think most users would be happy with 6 or 8 choices. Present them with sample images of what their choice will look like ... they select it ... bingo, your macros do the work and they have instant results. Advanced users could always examine your "SetProperty" macros to learn how to created new scenes.

Keep it simple, so all of us "slow learners" can have something to work with at 3AM. 8)

I agree a better color chooser would be nice for ML. Many have requested this feature. I personally like the dynamic color wheel chooser, with slider adjustments for fine tuning.

Kudos for your share. I'm looking forward to a "How-To" project!

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

jjjukebox

Postby jjjukebox » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:40 am

Thanx Ron

It was viewing some of your work that motivated me to start work on the designer. I found your scenes very tidy and contained some features I may have to pick your brains on.

I agree with having fewer options but I intent to use it as a tool and not open to end users. I found it necessary to have most of the colours to fine tune some of blending of colours with room decor. I am still in the infancy of developing this and creating my scenes.

I started all this many years ago before Cinemar offered it's canned scenes so changing to the 0019, Lodge or Gallery would be a major undertaking. I intend on getting the Lodge & Gallery but would like to preview the graphics first. I hope they contain enough new objects to help streamline my set up as making new objects is a long hard process and I have over 500 scenes.

Thanx again for the feed back and I will keep you posted as I get this to a point where it may be useful to others.

Later
J.J. Jukebox

DaveB
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DaveB » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:30 am

JJ - Every time I see your scenes, I am reminded of how good they are, usable they are and how much forward vision you have in your designs. Many of us from the early days of this product have always wanted an easy way to change scene graphics around without all the tedious button by button programing concept. They last time I tinkered around with your concept was with the scenes at the top of the post above as you were kind enough to share.

I have always complained to Cinemar and company that a far better color selector was necessary for the product. At the current time, you can not even pick and drop a color of one object to another, which is real basic.

I look forward to your advancement with the above concept and do hope that Mario and Dave get on board. Whenever you feel like sharing, just let me know!
Thanks!

Dave Bruner
:shock:

jjjukebox

Postby jjjukebox » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Dave,

Many thanx for the kind comments on my work.

I will continue to share all my concepts with the hope that other users feedback will will help make them more than concepts but something that can benefit other users.

I have a couple of test sites where the people who use it are really computer/audio/video iliterate! I have developed the system with that in mind in an effort to eventually market a very user friendly product (very close). The system is geared to touch clients and has dynamic pop-up help scenes for every system scene. I constantly bring in potential clients to try it out with minimal introduction to see where it can be improved from their experiences.

I currently have system set up scenes that allow me to pretty much set up all system/zone devices from scratch with the exception of a few that still need to be set up from within the plugins. My goal is to copy a mirror of a blank MLS setup to any new servers and set up everything from my ML scenes. And maybe even someday sell a canned product that customers can buy and set up themselves especially a Media product of some sort and as more of ML & MLS are exposed to us to control within ML this will be achievable.

Once this has been achieved I feel I can start putting out a lot of new systems for Cinemar (and me).

Later
J.J. Jukebox

Return to “MainLobby Feature Requests”