DMX Lighting Control?

Have a great idea about how to expand ML - post it here
rkerdza

DMX Lighting Control?

Postby rkerdza » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Is it possible to use ML to control DMX512 lighting effects? If there would be a way to incorporate them, it would increase the potential for commercial applications in nightclubs and bars exponentially.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Re: DMX Lighting Control?

Postby mcascio » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:20 pm

rkerdza,

There isn't a plugin that exists today. We'd probably need a real world project in order to test and develop the plugin. Do you have an existing project in mind?

What capabilities would be required in the plugin?
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

rkerdza

Postby rkerdza » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:33 pm

Well, I'd suggest reading the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMX512-A

The article seems pretty accurate.

As for my application. I run a medium-sized sports bar. I wanted a system that could control my 13 TVs and DirecTV STBs. I have used ML and a few GC-100s to control the TVs with success. The interface isn't pretty (I'm definitely no graphic designer), but functions well for the task. I have a stage area that uses Chauvet LED flood lights. They can use the DMX control protocol to control the color and flash pattern of the lights. These are the lights I would like to control from ML. Other fixtures could be added in the future.

In most computer-based systems, you need an adapter that plugs into the computer (usually USB) that converts to an XLR port, which is what DMX signal is carried on. You then program the computer with the "Scenes" and "Shows" that control the fixtures. Martin Light Jockey is one such program, also there is Elation Compu Ware and Chauvet's ShowXpress.

If you need more info, just let me know. I am really interested if this can be done.

I'm pretty sure you can actually download Chauvet ShowXpress and Martin Light Jockey for free off their respective Websites. Martin is considered the Cadillac of the industry. It may be useful to you to see what these programs do. I am pretty computer savvy, but I'm not a programmer.

Thanks!

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:14 am

I could see MainLobby handling DMX lighting control for the bar if it deals with accent lighting. But I'm not sure I see the potential if it's goal was to manage many lights to be synced up with say music or a band that is playing.

In my experience sliders on touchscreens are more novel than truly functional when compared to something on a lighting mixer board.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what your vision of what the system does and how you would use it.
Mario Cascio

Cinemar, Inc.

http://www.cinemaronline.com

rkerdza

Postby rkerdza » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Many DMX fixtures are simply on/off capable only, or in the case of the stage lights, you can control the color or flash pattern of the lights. I guess for this specific application, I'd be more interested in having the ability to control the color of the light or speed of the flash, and the ability to turn fixtures on or off from the ML interface.

Audio syncing is not something I'm concerned about. Usually it's ineffective, especially if the DJ is playing soft background music or you have a smaller band.

I hope this helps clarify my idea.

Return to “MainLobby Feature Requests”