Working well?

A Plugin to control Network Media Tank media players
kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Working well?

Postby kirkfrey » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:53 pm

I am thinking about buying a popcorn hour and am wondering if people are finding that these devices are worth it. It seems that, outside of the somewhat limited status reporting, that these should be pretty cool for dealing with video.

Any thoughts/experiences that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Any thoughts on the C-200 as well. :)
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Working well?

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:03 pm

In general I'm pleased with my boxes. It takes a bit of technical know-how to get everything up and running. I think these boxes are a long way from being a true consumer grade product. Command and control from the plugin is very reliable. Not having full two-way support is not that annoying. I have had some issues with getting some ripped DVDs to play from Video_TS folders but every movie I've transcoded with Handbreak has played flawlessly. I'd give them a 4 out of 5 stars.

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 pm

The SageTV HD200 extender does provide full status, but doesn't play 1080P (only 1080i). IMHO, the better choice.

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Other than a couple of quirks with the plugin and the device occasionally locking up (twice in last six months), mine is e-great (I apologise couldn't resist). I've had two movies out of 150+ I have tried that wouldn't play correctly, as Dave says transcode them and they work fine.

Mine runs hotter than I would like, but it doesn't seem to have affected it.

The firmware or middleware as sybas like to call it is now very stable and capable. As for not being a consumer device it is a lot more stable that most of the current freeview boxes shipping in the UK.

Searching for movies via the UI is the pits much like Sonys DVD explorer so having a front end like DVD Lobby is fantastic.
DVDLobby, MuL, JRMC, TV Lobby, DVD Profiler.

kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Postby kirkfrey » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:01 pm

I've looked at the Sage stuff but my understanding is that I'd need the unit, the plugin (additional cost but not a huge deal since the unit is a little cheaper) and to run the Sage software someplace. Is this correct?

all I am really looking to do is play my movvie ISO's on a TV, 1080p isn't a deal breaker now since all my sets run at 720p and until I get a bigger set there is no compelling reason to move to 1080p.
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

DavidL
Simply Incredible
Simply Incredible

Postby DavidL » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:18 pm

kirkfrey,
Yes, your understanding is correct.

Components:

MLClient with MLSageTV support scenes (comes with MLSageTV plugin)

MLServer3

MLSageTV plugin running on MLServer3 PC

SageTV Server software running on PC that has TV tuner card(s) (if you want to leverage it's PVR capabilities)

SageTCPServer software running on SageTV PC (free)

HD200 networked hardware player

Optional: SageTV PC client software to run all on a PC (including live / recorded TV)

Return to “MLNMT”