MLNMT - Plugin for controlling Networked Media Tank devices

A Plugin to control Network Media Tank media players
CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

MLNMT - Plugin for controlling Networked Media Tank devices

Postby CinemarDave » Sun May 31, 2009 11:12 pm

This plugin can be used for playing movies and remote controlling any number of Networked Media Tank media players. These players like the Popcornhour A110 and the HDX-1000 are inexpensive but highly capable media devices. While this category of networked media players is still in its infancy we have found the player as a good alternative to a dedicated HTPC for remote locations like bedrooms, etc. This plugin can be integrated with DVDLobby and will allow you to access and control your players on the network.

Documentation can be found here.

This plugin requires MLServer version 3.75.17 or higher. This plugin can be found in MLInstaller. Beta testers are welcomed. Post your comments and questions here.

Version 3.75.5 - 05-31-2009 - Initial Release

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:29 pm

Will this be available within MusicLobby as an audio zone? There are 3 audio outputs. Do you know if they are tied together in hardware or are they independent?

Thanks

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Once we get the kinks worked out you will be able to use one of these devices as a remote MusicLobby zone. The audio outputs are not individually addressable so you will not get multiple audio zones from these devices.

mwebster
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby mwebster » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:40 pm

If I understand correctly, that's still very useful.

For example, the box will be able to be integrated with dvdlobby and musiclobby, I could hook up my av receiver to component and the coax digital audio for movies using dvdlobby and when I'm not watching a movie, I can have the analog audio outputs connected to another input on the av receiver for music through musiclobby? That would be great.

I could see two of these boxes and some sort of analog audio distribution gizmo offloading a bunch from my server pc. Then I could move to a more energy efficient server pc.

mcascio
Founder
Founder

Postby mcascio » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:30 am

I'm not sure if the analog stereo outputs are active the same time the digital audio outputs are. You may have to make changes in the menu to select which one. It also may be dependent on what file type is playing as to which output it is using. More research would have to be done to see if it's technically possible.
Mario Cascio
Cinemar, Inc.
http://www.cinemaronline.com

davevans
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby davevans » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm surprised this hasn't generated a little more excitement. While I still love theatertek because of the two way communication, its getting a bit old and can be quirky getting mkv's or other formats to play consistently. Not to mention the need for a full pc. Integrating this with dvd lobby looks like it could be the perfect solution for me. I don't own one of these devices yet, but this plugin certainly moves it up my "things to buy" list. Dave, I'm leaning towards the hdx1000 over the A110 because I need the coaxial digital out instead of optical, but it seems the popcorn hour has a lot better support. Have you ever had any trouble with yours, or trouble with support?

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Have not had any issues with the HDX1000. It runs the same OS as the PopcornHour. You could even install the PopcornHour firmware on the HDX if you want to. I went with the HDX over the Popcorn because it looks better and had a better feature set.

As for support since all these boxes run the same OS with nearly identical hardware pretty much anything that goes for the Popcorn with apply for the HDX. I found all the information for controlling these boxes from the NetworkMediaTank forums. It's a very good resource.

Now these boxes are not the end all be all. You have to spend some amount of time configuring the boxes to make sure they can see your network and in order to run the plugin you'll have to install a Telnet application on the box and this requires installing a hard drive. (Recycle any old SATA drive you have hanging around) So they aren't plug and play but once you get them running that seem to be pretty stable. I have tried to play some movies on the box that makes it crash and you have to power cycle the box to get things back. It is very sensitive to VIDEO_TS folders.

It's too bad the applications running on the box do not provide more feedback so that I could create accurate server variables but these boxes are designed to be connected to your TV and be controlled by the remote. All the feedback is visual. I still think it's a good value for $250.

deanb2

Postby deanb2 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 pm

How do I delete and change the alias of the NMT machines?
It found my HomeSeer server :? and my Popcorn Hour A-110, but assigned NMT1 as the alias for both.
I want to get rid of the HomeSeer entry, obviously.

Dean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:52 pm

That's a bug. The aliases are not editable at the moment. Can you scroll that window to the right so that the ipaddress and unique id columns are shown. I'd like to see what they say.

deanb2

Postby deanb2 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:23 pm

Ok. Complete ip address is in the previous pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks. I'll publish a update shortly.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Version 3.75.16 of the plugin will fix the duplicate alias naming issue.

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: MLNMT - Plugin for controlling Networked Media Tank devices

Postby kgudge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:18 am

Had problems finding the documentation, the link in post one didn't work. Bit of poking around and I found the wiki here:

http://wiki.cinemaronline.com/index.php?title=MLNMT
Last edited by kgudge on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVDLobby, MuL, JRMC, TV Lobby, DVD Profiler.

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 am

Info on telnet application Dave mentions above.

http://www.lundman.net/wiki/index.php/NMT:telnetd

download the zip, extract the contents, rename the cgi file.
ftp it to the bin folder on the NMT (username is ftpuser on egreat)
chmod the permissions on the cgi file as per the instructions.
goto to NMT device and browse to the bin folder on the HDD. Run the HTML file.

Just played my first movie.....

kgudge
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby kgudge » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:37 am

Found this also whilst trying to get telnet up and running, seems a really nice application.

http://www.nmtinstaller.com/?p=download

Return to “MLNMT”