Whats the best way to reinitialize library?

Questions comments and suggestions for MusicLobby 3.75
simonmason
Expert
Expert

Whats the best way to reinitialize library?

Postby simonmason » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:38 am

I am doing a lot of clean up work in my library - file names, folders, tagging, and artwork. What is the best way to re-initialize the library on the server? In addition to the obvious initialize database and rescan folders - should I delete any image caches for artwork, etc. Thanks.
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Whats the best way to reinitialize library?

Postby CinemarDave » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:05 am

To start off totally clean besides doing the init and scan

Delete everything but the MissingAlbumArt.jpg file in the MLServer\Images\Music folder.

Delete everything in the MLServer\Cache\Music folder

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:27 am

A while back I had a problem with a lot of missing and bad cover art. I first searched (.png, .jpg, etc) and scrubbed all cover art, removed these images from the music folder, and saved them all in a top level "Cover Art" folder . Once I felt like I had a good image for all albums in Cover Art, I took the following steps to rebuild the music and cover art files in MainLobby (haven't checked in a while to see if this folder structure remains in ML, so this might be dated):

1. Deleted all items in the MLServer/Temp folder
2. Deleted all items in the MLServer/Images/Music folder
3. Deleted all items in the MLServer/Cache/Music folder
4. Emptied recycle bin
5. Performed a Scan All Folders in MusicLobby . This took most of an hour to complete. Watch the MusicLobby event log to see how it works.
6. After the scan completed, I restarted MLServer.
7. Next. did a page by page search for missing art work.
8. For any cover art still missing, used Content Manager to either search the web for a good image or to "link" to a good cover art image in my Cover Art folder.
9. Backed up everything

All this worked for me. Hope this helps

Mr. Spock

Postby Mr. Spock » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Mr Oronomus that is one damn fine procedure.

I've used it a couple of times because every time I add music to my library it never shows up in musiclobby. I see in the log that it adds new music on its own, but they never show up in the musiclobby browser. I manually rescan the library, restart the server, even reboot my server PC but they never show up. I have to blow it all away and rescan just as you described. Oh, and don't forget to restart the ML sever at the end or you can get really weird results :shock: .
Live long and prosper.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:17 am

Mr. Spock. MusicLobby will automatically scan your music folders every night and add in music that is doesn't see in the database. This works. If it does not work for you then I need to look at your setup so that I can understand why it is not working for you.

Mr. Spock

Postby Mr. Spock » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Thanks for the info Dave. When I copied about 10 CDs into the library I saw in the musiclobby log that it started scanning, seemingly immediately. But none of it was showing up in the musiclobby browser on my clients. I ran a manual scan a couple of times, still not there. Restarted everything. Still not there.

Is there any procedure I should follow to ensure they show up or should it be automatic?
Live long and prosper.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:26 am

It will be automatic. Was the MusicLobby event log showing errors? Next time you try it make sure MusicLobby is logging to a file and send me the event log when it finishes its scan.

Return to “MusicLobby 3.75”