Multiple SB Platinum X-Fi cards

Questions comments and suggestions for MusicLobby 3.75
Alain

Multiple SB Platinum X-Fi cards

Postby Alain » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Dave and all,

I'm trying to send simultaneous analog streams to my Russound CAV 6.6, from my ML based setup. In this configuration, my ML based system will replace an SMS 3 media server, which died for the 6th (and last) time. I'm still using ML 3, but have started the migration to ML 4.

I first installed a Creative SB Platinum X-Fi card, which worked like a charm, concurrently with the on-board Realtek audio controller. This card will drive one set of analog channels thru a 24 bit, 196 khz DAC.

So I bought two additional SB cards, for a total of 3 24 bit analog channels, and installed one of them. Bottom line: one of the analog channels disappear from the sound panel after the first re-boot, and I'll get a blue screen after a couple more reboots, at which time I need to remove one of the cards. Both cards show in the Device Manager, and if I uninstall one of the drivers through the DM and reboot, all the analog channels come back, but sound will come only of one of the card analog channels. So I figure that there are some issues with the Creative drivers when installing two identical cards.

I contacted Creative Customer Support, who replied they wouldn't support more than one card per mobo. Thanks for the great support! I tried to get on their forum, but I'm still in the "administrative queue".

I'm about to return the cards to Newegg, but before doing so, I wonder if any of you have had similar experiences, or advice. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and my goal is to have 3 concurrent analog streams (CAV 6.6 has only analog inputs) through 24 bit, 196 khz DAC audio cards. I shied away from the Delta cards as I saw through the forums some potential issues with Windows 7 support.

I would appreciate your advice, either to get these cards working or replacing them with something of equivalent quality.

Thank you,

Alain S.

Alain

Re: Multiple SB Platinum X-Fi cards

Postby Alain » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:25 pm

OK, I did more homework and I'm answering my own questions. Hopefully this will be helpful to somebody down the road.

1- Creative will definitely not support more than one of their SB X-Fi cards per mobo. The best I could rationalize is that the limitation lies with their driver. Why would people buy a two channel only card, at $80/channel, is beyond me. If they're addressing the audiophile market, there are much better solutions, especially if the analog signal gets digitized anyway through the preamp/receiver, which presumably has a better DAC (Mine has 24 bit/192 Khz DACs). Creative Support also suggested that I purchase instead one of their cards with 3 Line Out, but warned me that the three Line Out will play only one common source at a time. Very helpful!

2- Now I remember why I initially decided not to go for an M-Audio Delta card: you need a PCI slot and I have only one of those (Current generation mobo are very limited in terms of PCI slots), some of the reviews mentioned lack of support for Windows 7, and last but not least, most sites I visited show "Out of stock or Product No Longer available", including the Avid site. Not a good sign. I finally found an M-Audio Delta 1010LT through Amazon, which in theory should do the job. I should find out soon.

3- Finally, I'm leaving one star for Creative on the Newegg Web Site. Their Customer Support is horrible. I'm still waiting to get access to their forum (I'm in the "administrative queue"). Well they can leave me there, because I won't need it anymore. The whole thing cost me a lot of wasted time plus close to one hundred bucks in shipping and restocking fees.

BTW, does anyone know if there's any PCIe based audio card in the works with same capabilities as the Delta cards?

EUROTECH

Postby EUROTECH » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't know if this is what your needing. I have 2 of these attached to my MLServer and they stream music out to two, inexpensive, 2 channel amps that are connected to different speakers in the home. So in total, I have 3 zones. 2 usb and 1 built into the mobo. They are very simple to setup. Hope this helps. Forum admin, I don't know if we are allowed to post links to external sites. Just wanted to help someone if that is the case.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202- ... sound+card

Eurotech.

Alain

Postby Alain » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:22 am

Thank you, Eurotech, This is a very interesting/cost effective alternative.

I finally solved my problem by buying an M-Audio 1010LT that gives me a lot more capability (including more inputs and outputs) than the three SB Platinum cards, and this at a third of the price, together with 24 bit/96 khz capability. It took me less than an hour to install and get it working with Music Lobby. It's working like a charm. I guess I stayed away from it initially, under the false impression (from older reviews) that it had no driver support for Windows 7 and that it was not available anymore. I was wrong.

Return to “MusicLobby 3.75”