Automatic iTunes playlist export?

Questions comments and suggestions for MusicLobby 3.75
kirkfrey
Expert
Expert

Automatic iTunes playlist export?

Postby kirkfrey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 pm

I have and use MusicLobby but the reality is that we also have iTunes to support our iPods/iPhones/i[insert name here]. Given that we create and maintain our playlists in iTunes, has anyone found a good, programmatic way to automatically export the playlists from iTunes (and drop them in the watched folder for playlists in MuL)?
Kirk

Just trying to figure it out...

ronsatter
Is there life beyond Cinemar?
Is there life beyond Cinemar?

Re: Automatic iTunes playlist export?

Postby ronsatter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Simple answer ... not likely. You would need an application which could send the "Export Playlist" command to iTunes. That's the big snag. There are third party apps which mimic menu shortcut commands from within focused applications. But as far as I can tell, no main menu item for exporting playlists exists in iTunes. You have to manually select the playlist which you want to export before a right-mouse click menu for exporting becomes available in iTunes. And even then, there is no keyboard shortcut for the menu item.

On the other hand, if you export the playlists manually from iTunes to your watched playlist folder, you can run this ML server command:

MLWorker|ImportPlaylistfolder~J:\MUL Playlists~music_importstatus_{{server_servername}}

In this example, my watched playlist folder is "MUL Playlists" ... located on my J drive. This command can be executed at a regular interval using the MLScheduler plugin. I do this at some early morning hour daily, to keep my iTunes playlists fresh.

Again, this requires you to manually export the iTunes playlist after any additions/changes.

Ron
If it ain't broke ... don't fix it!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Automatic iTunes playlist export?

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:32 am

Everything Ron says is correct, however. iTunes stores its local database in an xml file in each users "My Music\iTunes" folder called iTunes Music Library.xml. (Windows 7 - other places in different OSs) If you were to share each of these folders and then add them to the list of playlist folders then MusicLobby will automatically pick up and changes you make to your iTunes play lists without you having to export them. You should also add the command Ron notes to MLScheduler because it will guarantee the lists are picked up because any little network glitch makes the file system watchers stop monitoring the watched folder. MusicLobby 4 will automatically do a full scan of the music and playlist folders every night.

Return to “MusicLobby 3.75”