Spotify integration

Questions comments and suggestions for MusicLobby 3.75
simonmason
Expert
Expert

Spotify integration

Postby simonmason » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Any thoughts on connecting Spotify to MusicLobby? The $10/month service has unlimited streaming and 320kbs!
Simon D. S. Mason

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spotify integration

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:51 am

I have been looking at Spotify and its API. It would certainly make a good addition to our suite. I don't envision integrating it into MusicLobby but rather a separate SpotifyLobby if you will, that would emulate Musiclobby functionality. While I have not dug that deep into their API yet the most troubling issues I see so far is that it looks like we may have to use their application for playback and that means stuffing key strokes to their player for transport controls which is clunky. Then there is their limitation that only one of your Spotify devices can be playing music at a time. As soon as you start playing on player 1 all other players immediately go to pause. So simultaneous multi-zone play-back would not work. Also their player only knows how to play to the default windows sound card. Meaning you could not easily leverage the different sound card channels for multi-zone playback. We'll be working on it. There's usually a way to engineer around every limitation.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Dave,

Just curious if you are still pursuing this. I would love to see it added but would definately need to play through my secondary sound output device.

Thanks!

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:08 pm

I did look at it and there is currently no easy way to control the Spotify player outside of pushing keystrokes to it and that is far from anything reliable. Also no two control and we're stuck using the default windows sound card so multizone playback is out. Until they give their api a little more control options it does not look promising. But I'm still looking at it.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks Dave. Between Spotify, GrooveShark, Rdio, LastFM, etc., it seems as though one of the services would be a good fit.

indecision
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby indecision » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:34 am

Dave,

Have you explored this any further? I know you are covered up with ML4 items but just curious if Spotify is still on the radar.

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:34 am

Absolutely, Spotify is still on the radar. I'm always on the lookout to see if anyone has made any advances on translating the Spotify SDK into something that is usable in a .NET world. We will have a V4 Spotify app. I just cannot predict when.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 am

Will something like Cleanify work? http://cleanify.net/Api

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 am

No, that api does not help. The best working example of a Windows Spotify client I've found so far is an app called Torshify. This could be the basis of our app. It was rumored last month that Spotify was going to be releasing a web player api this month and that too could open up new possibilities. We're working on it. We have plans to support both Spotify and Last.FM.

Oronomus
Intermediate
Intermediate

Postby Oronomus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:51 am

Anything shaping up on Spotify? They seem to be on a huge growth binge:

Spotify to raise $500 million with a value nearing $7 billion

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.c ... -7-billion

There are some references to available API's and SDK's:

https://developer.spotify.com/

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:13 am

Nothing new on the Spotify front. Their APIs are not designed to be Windows friendly and as such it is quite difficult building a .NET player that can work just like all our other radio apps.

One new app that will be released soon is for Songza. I discovered Songza a couple of weeks ago and last weekend I wrote an app for controlling it. If you have not seen Songza yet check it out. A very cool way to listen to music. More about Songza once I update the sample apps.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:50 pm

I was wondering if anything was happening yet with Spotify. Isn't their web player flash based? I was hoping you (and by extension me) could leverage their web player work...
Regards,

John

CinemarDave
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CinemarDave » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:13 pm

I really wish we could provide a Spotify app. The Spotify web api lets you do everything but play a song. So it is for all intents and purposes useless to us. Then Spotify goes out of their way to make it nearly impossible to write a C# .NET app to use their now unsupported Windows API. They do not stream their songs to the customer like everyone else in the world does. Instead they deliver the song as blocks of data bytes that the client software has to assemble into something useful. While it is possible to write the app it is at a minimum a multi-month development effort.

jpimentel
Expert
Expert

Postby jpimentel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks Dave, too bad, the service / functionality is pretty cool. Great for previewing songs before you commit to putting them in your permanent library, and a pretty complete / eclectic selection of tunes as well.
Regards,

John

Return to “MusicLobby 3.75”